Purchase The 60cs Or The 76cs Please Advise

I'm considering buying a GPS, I know NOTHING. I want to use it for car travel, camping, hiking, and when looking for real-estate in remote areas. Will the 60CS or the 76CS do what I am looking to do? Which one is better for my application. Or is there something else that I should consider?

I went to REI and was very disappointed with the sales person as he said that I should only consider a mobile type unit and not a hand held. I really wanted a hand held.

I also need advice on software.

The 2 units are, for the most part, identical with the following differences:

1) Physical size. The 76C(S) is a bit larger, but that's because the case for the 76 is a rectangle vs the 60C(S).

2) Memory. The 76 is double the map memory of the 60 units. Depending on how much you travel in a day, that could be a large deciding factor. It's what was the main factor in me picking a 76 over a 60.

3) Basemap is more detailed on the 76. That only matters if you're not loading the detailed map segments. If you are, then it's not something that would effect you.

Both units would use City Select North America as the software that would provide door-to-door routing.

You'd want to get a car mount/car power for either unit you get. You can get the auto package for the units which come with the portable mount, the City Select software and car power adapter.

Well, I'll just throw out that people usually site five differences. Four are listed above (memory, size, floats, better basemap). The fifth is button placement. The 60CS is below the screen, while the 76CS is above.

The memory issue relates ONLY to how extensive an area you can load additional maps (like City Select or Topo USA). Generally, if you are near your PC or laptop, and can load new areas when you travel, you are fine with the 56MB in the 60CS. I have City Select and Topo loaded for Southeast Texas (Houston to San Antonio to Austin) on my 60C, and carry a laptop if I am going farther afield.

To me, I like the smaller size and the feel of the 60C better than the 76, but both are great units. Handheld units do everything mobile units do and more. You cant go wrong with either one.

From more on contrasting maps and memory between the two, see question 6 in the Maps Section of the FAQ.

We have a MAP60C, MapSource City Select North America, Garmin automount kit, remote Gilsson antenna. We use it for all our driving needs and geocaching. You can do the same with the MAP76 .... however the 60 series IS the newer chipset technology.

IQ3600 will give you the advantage of having a PDA that will store all the MapSouce data in it and will give you verbal "talking" directions when driving .... but is a bit more fragile out in the woods.

If driving directions are the primary use I would suggest the talking PDA for safety reasons. Every route can be viewed in detail using MapSource prior to any trip on the PDA or on the PC. PDA uses a rechargable internal lithion battery.

We like our 60C as it meets all our immeadiate needs .... but it's your choice as there is no perfect GPS. :o ImpalaBob

3) Basemap is more detailed on the 76. That only matters if you're not loading the detailed map segments. If you are, then it's not something that would effect you.

There is a situation where that would cause an effect: if you're making a long journey and are only loading up CitySelect map segments for particular areas on your trip (due to map memory constraints). For the inbetween stretches of road, you will be relying on the basemap detail.

Yes, it may not be a common occurrence...or may not even happen at all. But it is a possibility.

GeoBC

I am a little confused about the base map stuff. Consider this, I will be leaving Austin, TX and traveling to NM around the Santa Fe area. Then to the Durango Co area that I plan on spending some time exploring real estate and would like detailed mapping. Would I then load both the Santa Fe and Durango areas into the GPS? I was also wanting to load topo for the two areas as well. Is this do able on both GPS?

I have the Garmin eTrex Vista and can load lots of maps on it.

I think you could load all the maps along your entire route, including Santa Fe and Durango. (Sounds like a neat trip. :o )

I'm not sure about loading both detailed roads and the topos, but I think you can do it with those units.

loading detailed maps for the netire route is a waste of time IMHO, that is starting to rely a bit much on the gps. The gps76 basemap is alot more detailed than the extrex vista and can get by fine, I used just the basemap to travel from florida to california and from california to wyoming and not once did I desire more detail, even when leaving the interstate.

Although I have a 60CS, I would have to recommend the 76CS based on what you are looking to accomplish with the unit. For a lot of road travel, the 76CS can't be beat while it also allows you the portability to use it camping, hiking etc.

I had a choice between the two and went with the 60CS. I liked the size and the way it felt in my hand far better. Though the 76 is a nice unit, its big and clunky

I am a little confused about the base map stuff. Consider this, I will be leaving Austin, TX and traveling to NM around the Santa Fe area. Then to the Durango Co area that I plan on spending some time exploring real estate and would like detailed mapping. Would I then load both the Santa Fe and Durango areas into the GPS? I was also wanting to load topo for the two areas as well. Is this do able on both GPS?

You can load Austin, Santa Fe, and Durango, (and any other area you plan to be staying along the way) and then autoroute away. The unit will use detailed maps when available, and will switch to the base map where no detailed maps are loaded. Since you will likely be on 290, I-10, etc. while between towns, the base maps will have everything you need.

You can load City Select and Topo maps at the same time, but can't display them at the same time. You have to tell the unit to hide the City Select map to see the Topo map. It's easy once you know how, but not intuitive. Instructions in questions 7-9 in the Maps Section of the FAQ.

I think the real answer to this question that comes up a fair amount can only be answered one way. I strongly suggest finding a store that sells both, and hold them in your hand. While the extra memory of the 76CS would have been nice, I just found the 60cs felt so much more comfortable in the hand, and the button location fit how I hold it. Others have found they prefer the way the 76 series fits in their hand. So far for me I've found that the lesser memory on the 60 hasn't posed a problem, and that includes a couple of long trips I've taken.

But I strongly believe that nobody should make this decision without holding the two respective units in hand, because I honestly believe that's the biggest difference between them, and can be a make or break issue.

(For the record, back when I bought my gps, I had been leaning towards the 76cs because of the memory, but after holding them in the store, I couldn't picture carrying the 76cs around, and the 60cs was a perfect fit for my hand. My wife was even more adament about it. And I haven't once regretted that decision.)

loading detailed maps for the netire route is a waste of time IMHO, that is starting to rely a bit much on the gps. The gps76 basemap is alot more detailed than the extrex vista and can get by fine, I used just the basemap to travel from florida to california and from california to wyoming and not once did I desire more detail, even when leaving the interstate.

If you wanted to cache along the route, loading the detailed maps would be a good thing to do. Loading those maps wouldn't take that long anyway. Doesn't this GPSr have the USB connector?

As they say, "been there, done that." :lol:

I finally started using the map instead of the bearing needle after I walked .2 miles down an extremely steep hill and through swampy ground only to be stopped by an 8' chain link fence 143' from the cache. :lol:

The maps can be preloaded and don't need to be used in conjunction with a laptop.

I've loaded the maps for my area as well as all the way up the 395 corridor in my Vista.

Why? . . . just because I could. And, I don't have any plans to make that trip for a while, but the Vista had room for them, so as long as I was loading local maps, I loaded those distant ones as well. :lol:

Using my 60CS the most I have ever loaded at one time was all of Idaho, Montana, and LA basin out to Yuma Arizona. I still had some memory left, but not a lot.

I this is a concern and you are strictly using the GPS for autorouting you are probably better off with the 76c. If you plan on caching or any other activity that requires you to carry it then I would go to a sporting goods store and hold both of them. Try out the button placement and see which one is more comfortable to carry.

My set up is a 76cs and a Legend. One for the car, one for the trail.

We recently took an 1100 mile trip and was able to get the mapping into the 76 for the whole route with room to spare, and that included full coverage several major cities like Des Moines, Kansas City (both ks and mo), Dallas, San Antonio just to name a very few.

Not that it a big thing, but with the 76CS on the dash, your hand will cover the sceen when using the buttons. The 60CS has them on the bottom and won't be covered then.

On the flip side, since the 76CS is rectangular, many users report that they can wedge it between the dash and the windshield without any sort of mount, and it will stay put. You can't do that with the potato shaped 60CS with its extended antenenna. (Get a RAM mount)

Not that it a big thing, but with the 76CS on the dash, your hand will cover the sceen when using the buttons. The 60CS has them on the bottom and won't be covered then.

My 76C/CS is primarily used in a vehicle mount.

I don't know how (or if) you operate a 76C/CS when it's installed in a dash mount but I I can ALWAYS see what I'm typing in. My hand holds it in a fashion very similar to when I hold it in my hand and I don't do this in order to see the screen. It's just the most comfortable, natural way for me to operate it.

I can also confirm that it's unsexy rectangular shape with the rubber "bumper" that surrounds it makes it possible to position it in a upright position by placing it the dash and resting its top against the windshield. The success of this placement is depend on the vehicle, though. I can't do this with my Jetta (which is why I use a RAM suction cup mount) but the technique works quite well in our Eurovan.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

I wished I had the 76C instead of my 60C, mainly because the darn 60C keeps hitting the floor, so one day I decided to try holding the beanbag base of the 60C, and noticed tremendous forces, trying to throw it off. I miss my GPS V, because it fit really well on my dash, and never was a problem, because of it's low profile. I do have the older 76S, and it does fit well between windshield and the dashboard. I think a Ram mount sounds like the right way to do it.

For the record, I've never had the bean bag mount fall off my dash in either of my cars. And I'm not necessarily the smoothest driver around, I tend to corner a little fast :P. The Jeep there's kinda a depression in the dash that it sits in, which helps, and even off-road I've never had a problem. The passat has a smooth curved dash, and even on that it's never slid around.

I'm not denying it could happen, just noting that in general it stays put pretty well.

I thought that I was going to pickup a 60C from a friend cheap but he started playing with it again and decided not to sell it. I was leaning towards the 60CS because it just felt better in my hands but I am going to use it more for driving so now I am reconsidering the 76CS again.

When I go to some of the web sites to price out the two units, they sell a accessory kit with the beanbag mount and City Select V5.0 and 12V car power supply. Is there much difference between City Select V5 and V6 ?

I was just trying to decide if it was worth purchasing everything separate to get the V6.

Was it me or is the screen on the 60C larger?

All the pros and cons between the 60 and 76 make it hard for me to decide. I really appreciate all the help.

Is one really more rugged than the other ( :o yes I have kids)?

When I go to some of the web sites to price out the two units, they sell a accessory kit with the beanbag mount and City Select V5.0 and 12V car power supply. Is there much difference between City Select V5 and V6 ?

I don't have any direct experience with the older version but I would want the latest version of the map simply because it will be more accurate. You might also want to see if there's a cost diff. btwn the two when upgrading to the next ver. of CitySelect.

BTW, I really, really recommend the RAM mount with the large windshield suction cup. It is rock solid and allows me to mount my 76C in any vehicle.

Was it me or is the screen on the 60C larger? 

They are the same-sized screen. The 60C's case is narrower, making the screen look bigger.

Is one really more rugged than the other

I doubt it.

GeoBC

I would tend to think the 76 is more rugged simply because it is lighter, it will be more apt to bounce off the ground rather than shatter. The military buys alot of 72s because of the case design being rugged, also an article online about how one dropped a 76S from 1500 feet from a ballon into a field and it did little if any damage.

You should be able to get the V6 upgrade for free by unlocking v5 now.

I would tend to think the 76 is more rugged simply because it is lighter ...

It's not. The 76cs with batteries weighs 7.6 oz. vs. 7.5 oz. for the 60cs.

I'd expect both to be pretty durable against impacts. The weak point on both is the screen which is subject to scratching.

And yes, if the City Select v5 is first unlocked after v6 was announced then you can get a free upgrade to v6. Of course by now v6 is almost a year old - I'd expect v7 to be announced sometime in July so might consider waiting awhile. I wouldn't expect major changes in v7, but roads and POIs should be updated.

I should have said lighter for its size,

This is all relative anyhow, we are not talking huge differences, just nitpicking two pretty close units.

I prefer the feel of the 76 myself as it is better suited to one hand operation with the thumb, likely why they made the aviation version out of the 76 case, and why we do not see 60 series made for flying.

I prefer the feel of the 76 myself as it is better suited to one hand operation with the thumb[/quote

The odd thing about that statement is that is exactly why I preferred the 60 :antenna:. All depends on how you hold it in your hands, but for me, the way I hold it, the buttons are perfectly placed on the 60 to be hit with the thumb.

This is exactly why I feel people need to hold both in their hands though. Which you prefer is going to largely be based on how you tend to hold it.

I don't have any direct experience with the older version but I would want the latest version of the map simply because it will be more accurate.  You might also want to see if there's a cost diff. btwn the two when upgrading to the next ver. of CitySelect.

BTW, I really, really recommend the RAM mount with the large windshield suction cup.  It is rock solid and allows me to mount my 76C in any vehicle.

[/b]

Amen we use the 60Cs and think the bean bag is far less expensive and usable than the RAM mount.

I don't have any direct experience with the older version but I would want the latest version of the map simply because it will be more accurate.  You might also want to see if there's a cost diff. btwn the two when upgrading to the next ver. of CitySelect.

BTW, I really, really recommend the RAM mount with the large windshield suction cup.  It is rock solid and allows me to mount my 76C in any vehicle.

[/b]

Amen we use the 60Cs and think the bean bag is far less expensive and usable than the RAM mount.

I have one of those little, adhesive plastic cell phone mounts attached to my dashboard. The 60CS (using the button on back) slips right in and sits in perfect view right next to my steering wheel.

Thanks for all the advice.

Went back to REI and fondled both the 60 and 76. At first the 60 had the best feel and looked pretty cool too. I found that I had to use two hands to make adjustments to the functions. On the 76 I could hold it in one hand and make the adjustments with the same hand. So I ordered the 76CS and Garmin V.

I met a guy on the trail the first time the kids and I went to try geocaching and he had the 60. He was making all the adjustments while holding the unit with one hand so it can be done after you get used to it.

I was real careful about the maps I loaded at first not to use up memory too fast. I ended up adding TOPO and everything else I left off. I still had not used as much memory as the 60cs has. I am sure that the 60cs would have worked for our application.

-b_rad-

I met a guy on the trail the first time the kids and I went to try geocaching and he had the 60. He was making all the adjustments while holding the unit with one hand so it can be done after you get used to it.

There was some speculation a while back that whether one finds the 60 or 76 more comfortable depends on whether one holds the thing in the palm or in the fingers. And without my gps in front of me, i can't remember which it is I do myself. For me, the 60 fits perfectly in the hand, and I can operate everything with the thumb. Others seem to fit the 76 in their hand better and can still operate everything with one hand.

Keep in mind that both the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS have a huge deficiency – Neither supports “Waypoint Categories”.

You could spend all day on their MapSource Software putting your 100’s/ 1,000’s of different types of waypoints into specific categories – once you download all of your Waypoints to either of these two units – they are all jumbled together – categories DON’T come down – You end up with One Big Dumb Happy List of Files. Impossible to figure anything out.

Hopefully Garmin fired the moron who coded this software – he probably has 10,000 PC files on his C:\ root directory – with no folders or subdirectories. My kids have a far less expensive Garmin Quest and it supports Waypoint Categories” - Go figure.

They rushed both the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS to market without proper testing - I took mine back as soon as I saw that this crucial category feature was missing – I also made them take back my MapSource Software. It is borderline fraudulent to have features in the Software that aren’t download compatible with the Unit.

If you don’t mind pulling your hair out on long multi-leg trips – Go with either unit…………Or wait until Garmin fixes this bug.

FYI

No - You figured it out – That’s the best you’re going to get until it gets fixed. I talked with Garmin about this missing feature and they said they might try and fix it with a firmware upgrade to the units. I know at least 50 people who passed on the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS because of this missing feature.

Lowrance is putting MP3 function into their units and Garmin can even put simple waypoint organization into their top of the line units – Go Figure? Gee I would think that Waypoint organization is important when you emphasize “Stores 1000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol” Paging through 1000 Waypoints every time knocks the advertised battery life from 20 hours down to about 2 hours.

Both of these units are “non-starters” until Garmin gets it fixed……….and they should be viewed cautiously when used for long periods in the field. Waypoint searches kill the useful life of these units.

Sorry I didn’t get to you sooner

Keep in mind that both the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS have a huge deficiency – Neither supports “Waypoint Categories”.

You could spend all day on their MapSource Software putting your 100’s/ 1,000’s of different types of waypoints into specific categories – once you download all of your Waypoints to either of these two units – they are all jumbled together – categories DON’T come down – You end up with One Big Dumb Happy List of Files.  Impossible to figure anything out.

"Huge deficiency" is a bit harsh but yeah, it would be nice if they had categories/folders for the waypoints. OTOH, I don't have a problem with my waypoints because the vast majority are Geocache types which I can find rather quickly.

Of course, they DO have a category sorting but it is based on the symbol, rather than how they're categorized in Mapsource.

For my non-Geocaching waypoints, they are categorized by symbol so I can easily browse these "categories" of waypoints without seeing any of the others:

- Geocaches

- Food/Retaurants

- Residential addresses

- Shopping

It can be done but not as seamlessly as using the Mapsource categories. But otoh, it's not a "huge deficiency" for me, either.

If they do add categories, it would be great if they could allow one waypoint to belong to multiple categories.

GeoBC

It’s huge for me. I could be fishing an three parallel lakes and “Waypoint by Closest Proximity” will show me more waypoints on lakes that I’m not even fishing on…..just because they are closer through the tree line. That is dumb when you’re taking 400 fishing waypoints scattered all over the screen list. It is waste of battery life.

The same is true when hiking around a mountain – waypoints on the other side of the mountain show up first on the list because they are closer in a straight distance – never taking into account that there is a mountain in the way.

When you are sitting in a building designing software – you need to take into account outdoor situations.

For example – when you’re driving with your Garmin 76CS why to you see waypoints to show up that might not be part of your travel itinerary – just because they are closer by? Who cares?

Just be careful if you buy a 60C/ CS or 76C/ CS – it is 85% there – But missing waypoint categories will drive you nuts.

It is awesome to have the categories in the Garmin MapSource Software. I can manage everything that I need. Why they didn’t transfer this function to the unit is beyond me – It was a rush to market.

The Garmin Quest Developers did it and got it right – But the unit is rechargeable and not good for field use.

It does. If you do a Find - Waypoints - Menu. You'll see the options. Of course you have to load waypoints with different categories/symbols.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I am still thrilled with my 76cs and have found the programming and ease of use very intuitive. I think that there could have been a better owners manual as I think Garmin takes a lot for granted and assumes that everyone knows all about GPS's.

I guess that maybe in time I may find all the shortcomings but no regrets at this time.

I just started GeoCaching a little over a month ago. I really like my 60cs. One thing that bothers me though is that I havn't found a way to make my location (lat/long) show up BIG, like with the cheaper Garmin units. I don't know how to take a photo showing the 60cs with the lat/long actually visible in the picture. Lat/Long isn't an option on any of the custom fields either. Please Garmin, this should be a simple software fix, or I'm really overlooking something simple.

Anyone with a fix for this? (besides carrying around a cheap Garmin as well)

big (lat/lon)

it is really quite simple.

on trip computer screen > menu button once -> change data fields -> enter-> bottom data field -> enter -> "select" Location (lat/lon) -> enter -> that should be big enough.

want bigger -> menu -> big numbers -> menu -> change data fields -> select" Location (lat/lon) -> enter.

you can now switch between [small and big numbers] any time you want.

the BIG is really BIG.

Hope that helps.