How To Remove Geocache Name From Appearing On Map

With about 100 caches in the area when I'm at 1.4km or 700m resolution the geocache names fill up the screen and I can't see anything but a whole lot of garbled text. Is there a way to set the explorist to not display geocache names, I only want the icon itself to appear.

Edited by D0T-C0M
With about 100 caches in the area when I'm at 1.4km or 700m resolution the geocache names fill up the screen and I can't see anything but a whole lot of garbled text. Is there a way to set the explorist to not display geocache names, I only want the icon itself to appear.

:lol::lol: Holy Crap that is a high density area

well actually I have 100 caches loaded but only 15 to 20 at any given time on the screen but with all the text overlapping, it is unreadable and you can't even see the map. I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue. picture to follow.

I don't think there is a way to toggle POI name display on or off. It appears to come on once you zoom in to a particular level. I see my names display at .8 mile zoom, but at the next highest level (1.6 mi) they are off. So about the best suggestion I can offer is to zoom out a little further, or set your POI names to something shorter like the GC code.

I don't have an Explorist but here's a thought. If the Explorist can select the waypoint types you wish to see, then you can change the cache you are going after to some other icon during the "hunt". Then set the Explorist to display that icon only - the rest of the "normal" caches icons will go blank clearing the screen except for the cache you are hunting.

The competing product allows you to turn labels off and on and even change their size, but the Magellans don't offer this.

Alan2's suggestion won't quite work for two reasons. First, from the picture, we see the OP is using 'geocache mode' and there is no way to edit waypoints that come from geocache files while on the unit. (This makes this pretty unusable for me - you can't make caches go away once you find them.) Second, you can't set the units to display only selected icons.

Magellan needs their ears filled with feedback on these missed features. Call or write Magellan about this and TELL THEM how silly a lot of this stuff is.

robertlipe I fired off so many support emails to magellan on this and some other issues and have yet to recieve any type of response. Magellan better listen to it's customers or this will be the last magellan product I buy.

like you said everyone needs to email magellan on these issues!!!

Edited by D0T-C0M

Finally some FEEDBACK from magellan on this issue.

Dear magellan Customer,

Yes, the geocache points appear really clutter at that zoom level. We will pass this use feedback to our software engineers for future consideration.

Thank you for your patience

Thales Navigation

Technical Support Engineer

I have seen this when I have loade geocache points to the internal memory. When I loaded points to the card they do not show up and I use GOTO to plot my course. I could be stupidly using my explorist though.

No that's not stupid. I do it too :P . I keep a set of databases of unfound caches for the areas I go caching in in GSAK that get updated weekly. Before a planned trip I load updated .gs files onto my Explorist SD card, .pdb files onto my Palm and .csv files into Streets & Trips. Print the S&T map for an area to get an an overview of the caches to take with me and plan a rough route between them, print a GSAK grid format page that I use to write brief notes on and check off the caches as I do them. Do a Go To to get to the first cache, when I get close I'll usually switch the .gs file into active memory and start looking at the Explorist map. By that time clutter isn't a problem as I'm zoomed in close to see the best access and any other close-by caches. I also switch maps from DR to Topo to see the local terrain better.

It comes down to adapting the approach to the limitations of the technology you have available. I used a similar approach with my old Meridian but the Explorist makes it a lot easier to switch databases into active memory as I need them.

That being said the geocaching manager does need improvement. The 200 limit doesn't bother me but the fact that you can't edit/delete/move geocaching points does as does the fact that if the first 20 characters of the name are the same it only loads the first cache and doesn't give you any warning of duplication. It should be looking for unique Cache ID's not unique names. Whoever developed it didn't have much understanding of geocaching!

the fact that if the first 20 characters of the name are the same it only loads the first cache and doesn't give you any warning of duplication. It should be looking for unique Cache ID's not unique names. Whoever developed it didn't have much understanding of geocaching!

The new GPSBabel beta solves the problem of names. It uses a smart name feature and will list them all, so that those with similar first 20 characters will be listed (it may omit vowels and add a digit identifier if needed.)

It creates the .gs file directly, without the geocache manager.

Edited by EScout
The new GPSBabel beta solves the problem of names.  It uses a smart name feature and will list them all, so that those with similar first 20 characters will be listed (it may omit vowels and add a digit identifier if needed.)

It creates the .gs file directly, without the geocache manager.

Yes, I've started using the new GPSBabel beta and have now got GSAK exporting .gs files so I guess I'm just about done with the Geocache Manager. Be nice if Magellan fixed it though.

It'll be nicer once Clyde returns from his holiday and I get done with all my travels and we finish the GSAK integration issues. So far, I've received nothing but praise for the maggeo output (all four users that I know of seem to dig it). It seems to work pretty well but will work even better once we teach everything to push all the right data from end to end.

I agree that it'd be even nicer if Magellan made sensibly functioning s/w for such things. To their credit, they're the first GPS vendor that has taken any notice at all of GSAK/GPSBabel development to help geocachers along.