Batch Downloading .gpx Files

CodeCutter

I have a premium membership. I can download .gpx files individually from a geocache detail page, but if I select several from the search page and click the download all button, I am getting a .loc file.

Is there a way to select several caches and pull them all down at once in gpx form?

Thanks for any help.

Straight from the cache search results pages, no. It's one at a time only.

If you want batches, you need to use pocket queries. Go to www.geocaching.com/pocket and set one up for the type of caches you want. Use the "preview/run this search" feature to make sure you're getting the results that you expect. THEN select a day for it to run. If you select today, it should be e-mailed to you within a few minutes. If you select a different day, it'll come sometime that day, probably before you wake up in the morning. :P

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the pocket queries.

Can any of you tell me how to leverage the additional information contained in the gpx files over the loc files? Either format puts exactly the same info into my Garmin GPS 60 using EasyGPS. The only advantage to gpx I see is that I don't have to set the waypoint type to "Geocache" before transfering it as I do with loc.

You can see by my low numbers that I'm just getting started in all this. Any advice on how you use the available tools to best advantage would be appreciated.

Can any of you tell me how to leverage the additional information contained in the gpx files over the loc files?

If you have a hand-held (PocketPC or Palm based) there are programs that allow you to take full advantage of the .gpx files, by viewing the full cache pages on your handheld. There are also programs for your computer to do the same thing offline.

Here's a list of programs to choose from.

Personally, I like Watcher for on my PC, and GPXSonar for my PPC. Both are free, unlike some of the others.

I signed up for a Premium membership and filled out the Pocket Query info but I'm stuck downloading the caches individually.

I tried to have the batch file go to my email address associated with geocaching.com or putting in an alternate email address and I never receive a batch file. If I try using the 'select all' when in the Pocket Query Preview I can't download as a .gpx file--only a .loc

Is there some special trick to get the batch .gpx file downloaded?

I know it has to be some so simple but I just can't figure it out PLEASE HELP...

Here's a quick tutorial on pocket queries.

Johntclever - a couple of questions:

1. Do you have a day set to send the pocket queries? Thursday? Tuesday? That's when they'll be generated. Take a look at your pocket query summary page and see if any of the days are checked.

2. After you set the pocket query do they have a date and time in the "Last Generated (PST)"? Once they run, they should be bold for 24 hours.

If you've got a date/time in the Last Generated spot...

3. Did you zip (compress) the files? There are some ISP (Internet Service Providers) that balk at the GPX files and erroneously treat them as a virus attachment.

4.Check your spam blocker. Some overly aggressive blockers (like one initials that rhyme with "Hey, Oh, Elle!") sometimes place the messages directly into spam folders.

Solve the problems by changing one variable at a time....

Check to make sure that the query ran

Check your spam filter

Have the PQ zip it