Geocacher's Skype?

Huh??

"Skype" appears to be a voice technology that allows people all over the world to talk without longdistance charges... It's an interesting idea, but what does it have to do with Geocaching?

This an "off topic" issue?

Edited by IVxIV

Skype is a very good and very popular service, allowing voice over the internet to other Skype users (free) and to regular phones ($$). It also provides a free messaging service, like MSN / AOL / ICQ.

This post is an attempt to get Geocachers using Skype in one "group" or directory for easier access to each others Skype numbers. Might be a great idea for local / long distance / international phone a friend! No kick back to OP as far as i can see. I'll sign up.

I use Skype for work. It's free and it's like a regular chat IM client with the addition of voice over IP. It only runs on Win2K and XP though. So it's only installed on my laptop (mobile work computer).

I'd love to skype with other cachers, but probably won't join the group since the only time I use Skype is when I'm working.

Edited by AtlantaGal

This isn't supposed to go live to a mass audience yet. If you don't know what Skype is you'll need to investigate it first.

Trippy1976 thought it would be a good way for the people coming to the 2005 Midwest GeoBash to get to know each other "over the phone".

Edited by Bjorn74

Well, I was trying to "ease into it" so any large issues still in the database can be more easily corrected but I'm just looking to get a listing of cachers who skype.

I tried doing search via skype and well, it didn't turn up much.

Note though, that you need to have a Skype account already. This DOES NOT sign you up for skype. Just list you.

Like someone said, it's like a phone book and is my way of trying to bring two things I like together.

It's totally free. No scam, no spam, just a site to let cachers who skype find each other more easily.

Just be gentle :) If you try it and have feedback/feature requests Skype me and leave me a voicemail :)

I use Skype for work. It's free and it's like a regular chat IM client with the addition of voice over IP. It only runs on Win2K and XP though. So it's only installed on my laptop (mobile work computer).

I use Skype on my Me system; it works fine.

Skype is a pretty good program, now that they're past v1.0. I've used it a bunch of times to chat with friends in Europe where it's much more popular. Even did a conference call once. B)

Jamie

I live in Baja, Mexico. Regular outgoing calls to the USA cost $1.00 a minute, even 800 type numbers. Then along came SKYPE, voice over IP, but unlike other VOIP applications, SKYPE is without monthly charges. SKYPE is free, computer to computer, and about 2 cents a minute from my computer to any public phone anywhere in the world, except Mexico, which is 8 cents a minute. All that is needed is a microphone and speakers or a headset if speakers are not installed.

A SKYPE phone book for geocachers is a great idea, I signed up. Thanks.

We've been using it to plan the GeoBash event, it's been great for that. We can get on Skype and conference together for free (mostly, we had one guy on a land line, but its not much to conf. them in) and since then we've been skyping a lot.

I got the voicemail to try it and think it's a hoot.

...I do find the idea of getting VOIP phone calls from strangers kinda weird.

I had the concern, but I'm really good about not answering my cell, so not answering Skype should be second-nature. ;)

We've had a lot of fun. DeltaDawg even invited us to call him "whenever" the other night.

But, I need to remember that I do go to work to do something to make money for the company that pays me...

I'm in the process of upgrading my pocket PC and can't wait to try skype for PPC.

I think the pay as you go model for Skype is very interesting. Now with an easy way to get a CHEAP phone # that people can call with voicemail, it's a super easy way to set up a second number at your house for whatever.

And with products like handsets coming out for it... it's an interesting model (potentially) for an actual home phone service.

I am pretty sure that for my typical home useage, a Skype setup would far and away be the most cost effective solution for home telephony. I'm not sure it's *quite* there yet, but it's closing in.

I just hope they can sustain the product and that it doesn't die a victim of its own success.

On the note of Skyping strangers... yeah I guess I can see that :P But considering that I've found cachers to be one of the best and most welcoming groups of people I've ever associated with and also that there's the ignore option :D I think it could be fun.

Does anyone know if there is a string like callto:// that will open up JUST an IM window?

I use Skype on my Me system; it works fine.

Skype is a pretty good program, now that they're past v1.0. I've used it a bunch of times to chat with friends in Europe where it's much more popular. Even did a conference call once. :P

Jamie

Interesting.

It sure doesn't work on 98 tho and they don't list NT download option either.