How The Heck Do I Load Waypoints

I have a card reader. I'm told by Lowrance that I don't need a LEI card reader unless I'm working with MapCreate. I dowloaded their GPS Data Manager, and put the card in the reader but it seems to be looking for a GPS unit and not the card.

Is there a trick to this? There are absolutely no instructions in the manual.

I dowloaded their GPS Data Manager, and put the card in the reader but it seems to be looking for a GPS unit and not the card.

You don't need it. All you need is GPSbabel (1.2.5 or newer) and if you are using GSAK you should have it. Just choose Lowrance .usr file as file type in GPSbabel and copy that file to your memory card.

Well I had the same quest when I picked up my Ifinder. It is easy once you get the hang of it. I even built a webpage to walk fellow travelers through it.

How the heck to I get my waypoints into my Ifinder??

First post but then I am a beginner at geocaching, only 12 or so far.

Edited to add, you can save the file anywhere on your computer. It is not looking for the GPS unit I use save file as then save it to My documents. I then drag and drop to my card reader.

Edited by fnfalg1

Hi fnfalg1 and welcome to the forum B)

Wow that's a great tutorial for loading waypoints onto an iFinder, nicely done! But aren't some of the steps unnecessary? I use GPSbabel to read the source .GPX file and directly create the .USR format onto MMC chip from the iFinder. Then just load the waypoints using the internal load feature.

The GPS data manager GDM6 from Lowrance will allow you to upload and display waypoints and routes from the iFinder memory card via card reader. Remember to save your waypoints/tracks ONTO the memory card first!

OK here's what I did.

1. Opened my GPX file in GPSBable and converted to Lowrance: see below

87b0825f-8302-49e5-a423-ef2ccb25fa70.jpg

2. Put MMC card in reader and dragged new file there

3. Put card in unit. Browsed MMC card and I can see the file

4. Stillcan't find the waypoints ;)

Edited by briansnat
The GPS data manager GDM6 from Lowrance will allow you to upload and display waypoints and routes from the iFinder memory card via card reader. Remember to save your waypoints/tracks ONTO the memory card first!

OK here's what I did.

1. Opened my GPX file in GPSBable and converted to Lowrance: see below

87b0825f-8302-49e5-a423-ef2ccb25fa70.jpg

2. Put MMC card in reader and dragged new file there

3. Put card in unit. Browsed MMC card and I can see the file

4. Stillcan't find the waypoints ;)

First, make sure that file, you created, has '.usr' extension. If it doesn't, change the file name (in your example it should look like "All300050.usr"). GPSbabel doesn't assing extension to the file if you didn't specify it in "Output file:" field.

After that, when you have memory card with your file in GPSr, with GPSr in Advanced Mode go to Main Menu (click Menu button twice) -> System Setup -> Transfer My Data -> Load and load waypoint from file you created. In Easy Mode it's just Menu -> Transfer My Data -> Load.

Awesome. That was it!!!

All the waypoints are there. But does anybody know why the waypoint icons are all fudged up? My Garmin shows a little treasure chest for each one. The iFinder has all kinds of icons for the caches. I have fish, flags, Xs. Kind of odd. ;)

I know when manually entering a coordinate the iFinder will use whatever waypoint symbol was used the last time a coordinate was entered.. Also I recall the GPSbabel guys mention the .USR waypoint datastream does contain the features for manipulating coord symbols, meaning you could assign the "founds" as one symbol and the "not founds" as another.. and that's about all I know on this issue ;) I have no idea how to control this feature..

You say you loaded a number of waypoints via a single .USR file, and they randomly used various symbols? That's a new on on me.. maybe one of the GPSbabel programmers could examine your .USR file for the reason.

You say you loaded a number of waypoints via a single .USR file, and they randomly used various symbols?

That pretty much seems to be what happened. Looks like it might be a GPS Bable issue. I converted the files back to GPX and looked at them and this is what I saw:

<time>2004-07-17T08:00:00Z</time>

<name>GCK0N6</name>

<cmt>GCK0N6</cmt>

<desc>GCK0N6</desc>

<sym>diamond 2</sym>

</wpt>

<wpt lat="40.915778840" lon="-74.426947095">

<time>2005-03-14T09:00:00Z</time>

<name>GCN3QP</name>

<cmt>GCN3QP</cmt>

<desc>GCN3QP</desc>

<sym>flag buoy</sym>

</wpt>

<wpt lat="40.961949208" lon="-74.278614011">

<time>2004-10-21T08:00:00Z</time>

<name>GCKRBG</name>

<cmt>GCKRBG</cmt>

<desc>GCKRBG</desc>

<sym>x 1</sym>

</wpt>

iFinder does have icon information in .usr file format and as far as I can recall, GPSbabel assing different icon for different type of cach. If you converting .gpx file, you will see different icons for different type of caches.

Here is that piece of code:

/* Taken from iFinder 1.8 */
const lowranceusr_icon_mapping_t lowranceusr_icon_value_table[] = {
 { 10000, "diamond 1" },
 { 10001, "diamond 2" },
 { 10002, "diamond 3" },
 { 10003, "x 1" },
 { 10004, "x 2" },
 { 10005, "x 3" },
 { 10006, "cross" },
 { 10007, "house" },
 { 10008, "car" },
 { 10009, "store" },
 { 10010, "gas station" },
 { 10011, "fork and spoon" },
 { 10012, "telephone" },
 { 10013, "airplane" },
 { 10014, "exit sign" },
 { 10015, "stop sign" },
 { 10016, "exclamation" },
 { 10017, "traffic light" },
 { 10018, "american flag" },
 { 10019, "person" },
 { 10020, "restrooms" },
 { 10021, "tree" },
 { 10022, "mountains" },
 { 10023, "campsite" },
 { 10024, "picnic table" },
 { 10025, "deer" },
 { 10026, "deer tracks" },
 { 10027, "turkey tracks" },
 { 10028, "tree stand" },
 { 10029, "bridge" },
 { 10030, "skull and crossbones" },
 { 10031, "fish" },
 { 10032, "two fish" },
 { 10033, "dive flag" },
 { 10034, "wreck" },
 { 10035, "anchor" },
 { 10036, "boat" },
 { 10037, "boat ramp" },
 { 10038, "flag buoy" },
 { 10039, "dam" },
 { 10040, "swimmer" },
 { 10041, "pier"},

{ 10038, "Micro-Cache" },    /* icon for "flag buoy" */
 { 10030, "Virtual cache" },  /* icon for "skull and crossbones" */
 { 10032, "Multi-Cache" },    /* icon for "two fish" */
 { 10003, "Unknown Cache" },    /* icon for "x 1" */
 { 10018, "Locationless (Reverse) Cache" }, /* Icon for "american flag" */
 { 10007, "Post Office" },  	/* Icon for "house" */
 { 10019, "Event Cache" },  /* Icon for "person" */
 { 10020, "Webcam Cache" },  /* Icon for "restrooms" */
 {     -1, NULL }
};

I'm not sure if you could find it in documentation.

BTW, when I'm converting just .loc file with multiple cache coordinats to .usr file I'm getting same icon for all caches.

.loc doesn't contain the cache type in a readily accessible place, so it can't assign smart icons.

If you don't want smart icons, use the -N flag when converting. Note this isn't available in the Windows GUI. I'm very much considering making -N the default behaviour in a future version as it just seems to confuse more people than it helps. Of course, then I need to find someone that can add it to the Windows GUI for those users that DO want it on.

gpsbabel -i gpx -f yourpq.gpx -N -o lowranceusr -F f:whatever.usr (assuming your card reader is mounted on drive F:)

Honestly, I don't think our Lowrance .usr support is a road well travelled so I can't fake shock if there are issues with it. There are relatively few Lowrance users it appears. So if you have specific suggestion on how to improve the README, send me (or better yet, the gpsbabel-misc mailing list) your improved prose.

IVxIV, thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps the steps are redundant. I had issues converting directly into a .usr file in GPSbabel no problem witha coma deliminated .txt file. Also in GPM6 or Mapcreate I have the ability to build quickly build a route for my Geocaching day using the waypoints, I can assign custom icons and modify waypoint names. Is there a .usr format option in GPSbabel? I dont see one in my version I wonder if a coma deliminated saved as a .usr would work. Well if it aint broke...

Has anyone else sent a kind note to Lowrance letting them know that no future purchases of their Mapcreate software will be made untill they remove the restrictive and customer unfriendly smashing a knat with a sledge hammer copy protection is removed? Also my next GPS will not be a Lowrance if this is not corrected?

Edited by fnfalg1
Is there a .usr format option in GPSbabel? I dont see one in my version I wonder if a coma deliniated saved as a .usr would work. Well if it aint broke...

As I mentioned before, you need GPSBabel version 1.2.5 or later.

Has anyone else sent a kind note to Lowrance letting them know that no future purchases of their Mapcreate software will be made untill they remove the restrictive and customer unfriendly smashing a knat with a sledge hammer copy protection is removed? Also my next GPS will not be a Lowrance if this is not corrected?

OK, and what do you have to choose from?

Garmin - CitySelect/CityNavigator - unlock codes for two units only.

Magellan - Topo 3D - works with one serial number (unit).

All new mapping software will have some kind of copyright restrictions. At least Lowrance gives you 5 cards and you can clear them out and start over if you need.

Copyright restrictions is a common trend. We cannot avoid it, we have to adjust and live with it.

Edited by Hoary

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I was simply suggesting that Lowrance users have the opportunity to put pressure on the company to make it once again the friendliest GPS on the market.

Don’t get me wrong, I researched before buying the Ifinder, over all I truly believe it is the most well rounded GPS available on the market. Having said that up until version 6.3 it was also the most friendly GPS package available as well. They want to protect their copyright from web swapping, understandable, we want full function and the convenience to use our multi-card readers thus minimizing the number of devices we have to carry around with us. I could have standardized on one memory card type but I didn’t want to replace my perfectly working devices. My Digital Camera uses CF cards, My digital camcorder uses memory sticks, my Palm and Ifinder use SD. I use one reader for all of these.

Just because Lowrance is less of a copyright nazi than Garmin and Magellan does not mean that we just have to accept it and deal. The fact that Garmin and Magellan dominate the market would make it more difficult to pressure them into becoming friendlier. Lowrance could become just as popular if enough users promoted them. As a smaller customer base it is possible to use some leverage to encourage them to loosen up some on this. My primary problem is with the proprietary card reader requirement. This is unnecessary and cumbersome. We don’t have to be sheep. I wonder if anyone is using Ozi Explorer with their Ifinder. The mention Lowrance is supported on their website but I have no idea it is actualy works. I have a ton of DRG's and have seen other programs that state that they can convert these to .usr format.

Just because Lowrance is less of a copyright nazi than Garmin and Magellan does not mean that we just have to accept it and deal. The fact that Garmin and Magellan dominate the market would make it more difficult to pressure them into becoming friendlier. Lowrance could become just as popular if enough users promoted them. As a smaller customer base it is possible to use some leverage to encourage them to loosen up some on this. My primary problem is with the proprietary card reader requirement. This is unnecessary and cumbersome. We don’t have to be sheep.

Read through this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97546

I was trying to explain my vision where is proprietary card reader requirement came from.

I wonder if anyone is using Ozi Explorer with their Ifinder. The mention Lowrance is supported on their website but I have no idea it is actualy works. I have a ton of DRG's and have seen other programs that state that they can convert these to .usr format.

Do you know about Yahoo! iFinder Group?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps/

At least one member has mentioned he constantly uses Ozi Explorer with his iFinder. Besides, I think you'll find a lot of interesting information in here.

Edited by Hoary

I have been using Oziexplorer for many years and it can not be beat for editing GPS functions and it will talk to almost any GPS vendor in the market place. Oziexplorer will read and write .usr files. Just select in the Configuration screen, GPS Tab, GPS Model, select USR File. Do not use any of the other .usr choices as they add addition waypoints with blank Long and Lat data to the saved . usr file. If you wish to view or print your GPS data on maps Ozi will read USGS DRG's and some other map files. See www.oziexplorer.com for details. Just remember any time you upload .usr data into your lowrance unit you must clear out the old data first as the new stuff is added to what is in the unit.

...we want full function and the convenience to use our multi-card readers thus minimizing the number of devices we have to carry around with us...

My primary problem is with the proprietary card reader requirement. This is unnecessary and cumbersome.

I'll agree that needing to use a proprietary card reader is a real pain in the bum.

However, it is only required by MC6.3. The USR file info (waypoints, routes, and trails) can be managed with any card reader and third party software.

Personally I don't regularly use MC. I just get a huge capacity card (512Mb or 1Gb) and load to it with all the maps I'll need for the forseeable future. Then I just use any card reader and waypoint management software I choose.

I hope this helps, reidster.

Ok, I need a little help. I finally took time to find this thread but tried to follow examples and still haven't got it. I have an IFinder Pro and love it, but had never been able to figure out how to download to my GPS. I have always had to manually enter each cache. I also, have gone the route of emailing Lowrance and have gotten answers, but the answers are never to the questions I asked.

I have GSAK and use MapCreate. Other examples in this thread are using Babel which I don't have but it is my understanding that I don't need it if I am using GSAK.

I know how to get the querry from my email to GSAK but how do I get them from GSAK to MapCreate in order to put them on the disk. I know how to download from a disk into my Lowrance. It is just that step inbetween that I am having trouble with.

Can anyone walk me through the steps between GSAK and what I need to do to it there to putting it in MapCreate? I have some computer knowledge but not alot.

Thanks