Gps And Palm Connection

So I ordered one of those little cables to connect my PalmVx with my Merigold. Arrived today registered mail from Hong Kong.

OMG this thing is awesome. Has anyone tried this?

First you need to set your GPS to NMEA when it's connected in order for the Palm to read the GPS output. You need to have the Magellan (or Garmin) plugin for Cachemate. It also helps to have CacheNav, since it's the actual program that reads the info.

Okay from what I could tell in my limited use: I could hook it up, string the Merigold to the back of my pack, and just hold the Palm. Cachenav will take the display a compass type screen, and point you in the direction. You can export a search, a database, or a single waypoint into your GPS. You can search for specific waypoints through the GPS-no need to set the WP on the GPS. Anyways. i'm sure there are flaws.. but it looks pretty cool. Especially executing a db search and exporting those waypoints to the GPS in the field! Also of course cachemate can project waypoints internally and, with this, export them. Even edit the outgoing ICONS!!

It told me to set NMEA to off before exporting waypoints to the GPS which is a little much. I didn't try this either way, I don't see why it would make a difference, but bleh.. I also actually like to hold the GPS and use the various screens in the field. Usually the map, followed by the compass screen when I get some distance from my car where roads or topo/trail info is not needed. I keep the palm handy only for the cache info when I need it. Otherwise it's in a pocket.

The novelty of this item was totally worth the money I paid. I can't say I will use it extensively, but it's nice to have, my only real reason was so I could project, export and search and export waypoints in the car and such. Since I update the Palm GPX files showing new logs, archived, DNFs, and new ones about bi-weekly, and I hardly ever upgrade the GPS unless I notice a cache archived. This will make it faster and less troublesome. Maybe.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I've been using my Palm with a GPS for a long time. However, it didn't take me long to discover that bushbeating with a Palm in my hand and a cable connected to it wasn't a good idea. I use the two connected in the car for driving directions, and the GPS alone while walking through the woods. I sometimes use Cachemate to transfer waypoints to the GPS if I forgot to do it at home.

OMG this thing is awesome. Has anyone tried this?

Yeah, I tried it once :unsure:

First you need to set your GPS to NMEA when it's connected in order for the Palm to read the GPS output. You need to have the Magellan (or Garmin) plugin for Cachemate. It also helps to have CacheNav, since it's the actual program that reads the info.

Actually you can use several other apps....

CetusGPS http://www.cetusgps.dk

GeoNiche you can find it on http://www.versiontracker.com/palm

mapping SW

quovadis http://www.marcosoft.com <--easy to load geocaches with gpsbabel

mapopolis http://www.mapopolis.com <-- not sso easy to load geocaches but has other really cool features

Also of course cachemate can project waypoints internally and, with this, export them. Even edit the outgoing ICONS!!

yeah, that is really nice...

It told me to set NMEA to off before exporting waypoints to the GPS which is a little much. I didn't try this either way, I don't see why it would make a difference, but bleh.

slow data upload is the only reason i could find as with it on data would be moving both ways.

Now also think... it is like having an external antenna in the car... toss yer GPS on the dash and watch the palm while you drive and get a better signal than anywhere else i the car.

No, a cable for a Vx won't work with a 5xx, because the connector is different. However, cables for the 5xx series are readily available, probably easier to find than for the older models. Just make sure the cable you order is for a 500.

Acutally. The cable that connects to the GPS is terminated with a 3-lead mini mic type jack..similar to that of a celfone headset jack. The VX side is just a little plastic block that plugs into the Vx, then has a headset jack on it for the cable. The GPS side may be universal, and the convertor is just PDA specific with a headset type jack.. at least from the company *I* got it from.

If I had a digicam i'd post a pic. I did see a M5xx cable available at the above link.

It told me to set NMEA to off before exporting waypoints to the GPS which is a little much. I didn't try this either way, I don't see why it would make a difference, but bleh.

slow data upload is the only reason i could find as with it on data would be moving both ways.

Now also think... it is like having an external antenna in the car... toss yer GPS on the dash and watch the palm while you drive and get a better signal than anywhere else i the car.

I thought I read where the NMEA protocol changes the serial port parameters therefore the incoming data would be either truncated, jibberish, or blocked somehow. Not sure.

As for the other quoted point.. I thought of this: I could put the GPS in my backback. Theres a mesh outside pocket for a water bottle or something. Then just hole the palm in my hand. The GPS would always face the sky. But if I broke my Palm I would be sick. In addition, my Palm has an internal battery, so I can't change it in the field. I can change the GPS batteries anytime, and charge the Palm in the truck...

Still a good thing. Even if I only use it for on-the-fly waypoint projectios and uploads.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I just picked up a Zire 72 with the bluetooth GPS Navigation Pak. Cachemate loaded good into the Palm, TomTom Navigator loaded ok with my local map, but I cannot get the GPS to connect to the Palm. It is a trusted device on the palm, but I cannot get the satellite connection to work. The status lights on the GPS are normal. (slow blink orange and slower blink blue). I thought this was going to be a breeze, maybe the GPS antenna is not working. Any suggestions? Thanks.