Cache To Burn

Recently I found a cache in an area that had seen a wide ranging brush fire (here's my log of the find). The fire was all around the cache container in it's hiding crevice, and the cache had been cooked.

It was an ammo box, and most of the contents survived, including a lego travelbug who had like 2000+ miles on him! The things that didn't survive were a roll of packing tape and a heat pack. The tape melted into a glob, and the heatpack ruptured rather grossly.

I cleaned the cache out best I could. The logbook and so forth appeared to have survived unscathed.

My daughter selected a toy matchbox truck from the cache. It had a name emblazoned on the side: FIRE EATER. :(

Does anyone else have any stories about recovering caches after a fire or some other disaster?

This Cache Semi-Survived the fires that came through Southern California a while back. But the ensuing rains over land that didn't have anthing to hold it together anymore have caused so many new canyons that it it has made this cache a fairly difficult hunt now.

So sometime's it's not the fire, it's the aftermath that screws up a good cache for people.

cache4.jpg

cache5.jpg

The Taiga Cascade Cache was a casulty of the fires that burned >6.5 MILLION acres in Alaska last summer. I unfortunately did not get a better photo of the cache, but in this picture you can see the charred log book preserved for the new container in a plastic back, and a glass liquor bottle that was presumably boiled empty. The gasket was burned out this ammo box, so we CITOed it and replaced it with a new ammo box so the cache contents would stay dry.

f8dc1a7d-ea35-4522-8a2d-dd564540c1e1.jpg97f3eea2-2a2f-4437-82f6-6546956d3094.jpg

This past fall a large fire raged for a few days and swept over several geocaches. I was the first person to survey the damages to the caches at two locations. Each location required several hours of hiking to reach.

The first location had one micro, one jar and two ammo boxes. The fire reached all of them. The two ammo boxes were undamaged because of their placements. The jar was also undamaged thanks to it's hidding place but everything around it was destroyed. The fire reached the micro and warped it but everything inside was fine.

The next location had three caches. The fire missed the ammo box. The fire reached up to the cliff edge of the second hide but didn't climb down and under the rocks so it was saved. The third cache was tupperware and it and most was destroyed including a TB. Actually, only a "lucky token" survived.

Fire-keyholder.jpg

Fire-survived.jpg

Fire-tupperware.jpg

Fire-TB.jpg