Who Is Watching My Cache?!

KX6D

There has been a few occasions where I would like to know who is "watching" my cache. In one instance, my cache was destroyed and a card was left telling why the cache was taken (by the Geocaching Police).

In another instance, when a cache has gone missing, and gets replaced, it goes missing again. I believe that people on the Watch List are keeping tabs.

As an owner of a cache, i would like to know who is signed up to "watch" my cache. This should be an easy addition to the owner screen. Is this something we can expect in the future? Thank You!

Dino - K6RIX

See this post in the "Frequently Asked Questions" thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. There, you'll see an explanation and a link to some past discussion.

In addition, with the recent (February) introduction of bookmark lists, the watchlist number is illusory. Because bookmarks are so much more flexible, many geocachers now prefer them over the basic watchlist for organizing the caches they're keeping an eye on. For example, the watchlist for my player account has dwindled down to 12 caches that don't fit into one of my bookmark categories. In contrast, I have 106 caches included on my several bookmark lists for favorite caches, unresolved DNF's, etc.

You could always make it a Members Only cache. Then you would able to see every one who looks at your page - not just watchlist and bookmark.

I started using bookmark lists like Keystone Approver. But now I find my watchlist is actually getting longer. Since caches I add caches to a bookmark list that I used to watch for a particular reason, I now use the watch list for caches that I want to watch for no particular reason. This thread reminds me to add One Tin Soldier to my watchlist :anibad:

As explained in the many threads regarding this issue, this information would not be useful for the reason that you want it. It is opposed by many, including myself.

It is absolutely useful for the very reason I listed! It is opposed by those who want to hide their reason for lurking. If you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the link to the threads. I don't read the "Getting Started" forum.

Dino - K6RIX

If you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Since you're wanting this in order to get a list of people to point an accusing finger at, then apparently innocent people would have something to worry about.

This is exactly why not disclosing this information is a good idea.

It is absolutely useful for the very reason I listed!  It is opposed by those who want to hide their reason for lurking.  If you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

I pretty much only look at a cache page on GC.com if:

• it is mine,
  • I am trying to remember a specific cache to recommend it or mention it in the forums,
  • it has been mentioned in the forums.

Any other cache pages that I am interested in are in my normal caching area and I either view the page offline via GSAK or look at the version downloaded to my pda.

How would your idea identify someone like me if he/she decided to lay waste to your caches? :laughing:

Edited by sbell111