Cointracking.com?

ghostwriter13

The site is going through some testing to spot any bugs that may not have been noticed earlier.  The owner wants to try to make this site as reliable as possible before opening it up to the general population.  Hopefully, everything will run smoothly.  (And no, I'm not affiliated with the site. :P )

We are in the last round of beta testing, and hope to have its official launch on July 3rd at noon.

That is the date/time of my birthday, so it's important to me for synchronistic reasons to make that deadline a reality!

Fingers are crossed... But it's looking more glitch-free every day!

--Marc

June 20, 2005 @ 11:44 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

The site is going through some testing to spot any bugs that may not have been noticed earlier.  The owner wants to try to make this site as reliable as possible before opening it up to the general population.  Hopefully, everything will run smoothly.  (And no, I'm not affiliated with the site. ;) )

We are in the last round of beta testing, and hope to have its official launch on July 3rd at noon.

http://cointracking.com/

That is the date/time of my birthday, so it's important to me for synchronistic reasons to make that deadline a reality!

Fingers are crossed... But it's looking more glitch-free every day!

Okay, we did it - We opened before the deadline!

And even though there are free features that anyone can use, you can help get the momentum going: List a Coin Edition of 100 coins for free, or we'll give back $5 for any Trading List you create until mid-day on Tuesday as a Launch Special.

So you can help us get the site running with plenty of action, and we can help you with a free Coin Edition, or a deeply discounted Trading List.

Enjoy!

--Marc

July 4, 2005 @ 3:25 PM

Edited by SilverMarc

Since Halloween is a very unique holiday, and we've built a very unique web site, we've decided to offer a very special "Trick or Treat" for a limited time on the site.

If you've held back because you had pay to list a Coin Edition, now you can list one (or more!) for free! So if you or your club is in the process of producing a geocoin, or already have one and want to take advantage of the inertia that our site provides (lots of traders and lots of buzz!), click on one of the pumpkins on the main page!

Happy Halloween!

--Marc

October 5, 2005 @ 8:40 PM

Yes, alpha order was wonderful!

I have a question about the free edition. Like in my case, can update to a real coin image from a graphic coin representation once I get my coins in hand?

Doing it now! My changes were overwritten by Willie (I've done that to him UNTOLD times!)

You can change the image in a Coin Edition any time, as often as you want. (In fact, you can change any image anytime)

--Marc

October 5, 2005 @ 11:22 PM

One other note... I found a glitch in the avatar upload. You have an avatar loaded. Seems if you update the text on your coin list, you have to resubmit the avatar image again or it won't hold. I know cause it just happened to me.

One other question... can you update the quantity minted of the coin version in the event more are ordered of the same design months later?

One other note... I found a glitch in the avatar upload. You have an avatar loaded. Seems if you update the text on your coin list, you have to resubmit the avatar image again or it won't hold. I know cause it just happened to me.

One other question... can you update the quantity minted of the coin version in the event more are ordered of the same design months later?

Please use the Comments link on the site for bugs... Willie won't see them here!

Thanks.

--Marc

October 5, 2005 @ 11:59 PM

I have a question about the free edition. Like in my case, can update to a real coin image from a graphic coin representation once I get my coins in hand?

Doing it now! My changes were overwritten by Willie (I've done that to him UNTOLD times!)

You can change the image in a Coin Edition any time, as often as you want. (In fact, you can change any image anytime)

--Marc

This is Richard of the GeoCrickets. Thank You for makeing the coins in alpha order. It does make the coins easy to find that way.

Richard

--Marc

This is Richard of the GeoCrickets. Thank You for makeing the coins in alpha order. It does make the coins easy to find that way.

Richard

All bugs from the new features should be fixed now!

7 New Coin Editions added just today, thanks to our Free offer.

Let's see what tomorrow brings (it's a limited time offer, so if you're on the fence, now's the time to decide!)

--Marc

October 6, 2005 @ 7:58 PM

Since Halloween is a very unique holiday, and we've built a very unique web site, we've decided to offer a very special "Trick or Treat" for a limited time on the site.

If you've held back because you had to pay to list a Coin Edition, now you can list one (or more!) for free! So if you or your club is in the process of producing a geocoin, or already have one and want to take advantage of the inertia that our site provides (lots of traders and lots of buzz!), click on one of the pumpkins on the main page!

Happy Halloween!

--Marc

N40° 46.565'  W073° 58.756'

After today this offer will end, we've gotten a great response - 18 New Coin Editions listed (so far)!

Thanks!

--Marc

October 13, 2005 @ 12:45 PM

If you've held back because you had to pay to list a Coin Edition, now you can list one (or more!) for free! So if you or your club is in the process of producing a geocoin, or already have one and want to take advantage of the inertia that our site provides (lots of traders and lots of buzz!), click on one of the pumpkins on the main page!

Happy Halloween!

--Marc

After today this offer will end, we've gotten a great response - 18 New Coin Editions listed (so far)!

Thanks!

--Marc

But it's not Halloween yet!!! :P

Happy Halloween!

--Marc

Thanks!

--Marc

Thanks to everyone who grabbed a free Coin Edition! 23 new coins were added - there are now 63 listed, and 60 people have Trading Lists of their assorted coins to trade!

--Marc

October 14, 2005 @ 8:45 AM

A quick mention of our newest new web site features:

We're now sending out an automatic Email Alert whenever a new Coin Edition or Trading List is created online. Stay a step ahead of the pack if you want to catch the newest coins for trade! Anyone can sign up for the Email Alerts:

New Coin Alerts

We're also trying out two interactive features, a Discussion Area and Public Chat Rooms:

Discussions and Chats

Happy Trading!

--Marc

October 26, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

We worked up an improved beta version of our site-wide Coin Search.

A suggestion to add checkboxes to focus in on a particular coin status was implemented, and Willie did a few magical waves of his coding wand and now when you click a coin in the Search Result screen it "pops" that coin to the top of the result list!

More to come, don't touch that dial!

--Marc

October 26, 2005 @ 10:28 PM

Is Cointracking.com down? I try to register and when I hit submit it clears the page. I get no activation email.

If your browser isn't "accepting" cookies, you'll have the results you describe.

Try a different browser if you cannot set yours to accept cookies. We get 10 to 15 new completed sign-ups a day, so the programming seems to be working, but we do get reports of the issue you mention too, from time to time, so we believe it's a local browser issue on the user's side.

--Marc

October 30, 2005 @ 3:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I set to accept all cookies, and even changed browsers. Same response. Maybe it's a firewall thing.

Thanks anyway.

What firewall are you using? We would like to get to the bottom of every issue so we can have solutions for people moving forward.

See if you can log onto our discussions and we can continue it there if you'd like (there's an "open discussion" area):

Discussion Area

--Marc

October 30, 2005 @ 4:11 PM

How can I put my coin list in order? If you looking at my keeping list it is out of order. is there something I need to do or is it on your end?

Thank You

We've been doing some sprucing up of the site (the holiday season is approaching and we've got to look our best!).

You are now able to sort the coins in your Trading List by Status to see only the type you're interested in (Seeking, Availale, etc.), and we've added a new "Do Not Disturb" feature - so much trading has been going on that some people wanted a way to turn off the incoming emails while they vacationed - it's now possible to turn off your incoming email. It doesn't affect your ability to send or to receive Group Emails from the Managers of Coin Editions in which you have a coin listed.

We're also putting together a few more features which we'll unveil over the next few weeks.

Happy Trading!

--Marc

November 7, 2005 @ 12:57 PM

Our newest feature: You can now include "comments" in your listings! (It's actually been working for over a week now, but I was away and couldn't announce it until now!)

If you manage a Trading List, you can add a comment about the coin(s) that will appear under the coin name, or if you're adding your listing to anyone's Coin Edition you can include a comment which will show up in a cute little "cartoon balloon" in the listing. Take a look, I've included an example in my wooden nickels edition: http://cointracking.com/view_series.php?sid=25. It's a nice way to label a coin that's in trade, or make a note to keep your trades organized.

Happy Trading!

--Marc

November 16, 2005 @ 11:54 AM

Our newest feature: You can now include "comments" in your listings! (It's actually been working for over a week now, but I was away and couldn't announce it until now!)

If you manage a Trading List, you can add a comment about the coin(s) that will appear under the coin name, or if you're adding your listing to anyone's Coin Edition you can include a comment which will show up in a cute little "cartoon balloon" in the listing. Take a look, I've included an example in my wooden nickels edition: http://cointracking.com/view_series.php?sid=25. It's a nice way to label a coin that's in trade, or make a note to keep your trades organized.

Happy Trading!

--Marc

November 16, 2005 @ 11:54 AM

Very cool! I think that will be a very useful feature. Thanks! :lol:

How can I put my coin list in order? If you looking at my keeping list it is out of order. is there something I need to do or is it on your end?

Thank You

We are struggling with some "prehistoric" code (it was implemented before the users of the site showed us what they -really- wanted), so we'll fix this pesky bug, absolutely!

It requires a major reworking of a lot of connecting functionality, and rest assured if it was an easy fix it would be history by now, but it's a real bear (not to disparage bears, of course!).

Your comment has not fallen on deaf eyes (so-to-speak), and we'll quash this bug and rejoice!

Never fear, just be patient!

(We also, you'll note, don't act like our glitches don't exist - we value all the feedback and comments we receive! Our users have made the site what it's become - a useful, unique, and unparalleled Coin Trading Destination!)

Alliteration always,

--Marc

November 17, 2005 @ 12:01 AM

Willie did a few magical waves of his coding wand and now when you click a coin in the Search Result screen it "pops" that coin to the top of the result list!

This does not happen when I use the search.

When I first joined, I could click a coin in the search window and it would go to that person's trade list and have that coin at the top. Now it just goes to that person's trade list. I have to manually scroll to find the coin.

Willie did a few magical waves of his coding wand and now when you click a coin in the Search Result screen it "pops" that coin to the top of the result list!

We will restore that feature, thanks for letting us know.

Here is a Discussion Topic where you can post site-related questions:

CoinTracking Questions

--Marc

November 17, 2005 @ 11:05 AM

This should be back to working now.

--Marc

November 17, 2005 @ 2:20 PM

Thank You

See if this is looking better for everyone tonight.

One other simple fix: Make sure you don't have a "space" at the front of the coin name - this was one part of the problem.

We have been doing quite a lot of things so we can rest (momentarily) over the holidays.

We've added a link on the Coin Edition lists that points directly to anyone's Trading List, and you'll note the pages are loading much quicker now due to some internal rejiggering!

Cool!

--Marc

November 20, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

SilverMarc,

Perhaps you missed the flak about commercial and charitable posts. Please post this link in the cointracking.com discussion forums instead.

As per the geocoin forum rules:

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.

The cointracking.com discussion threads are the perfect place for this discussion.

Eartha, your volunteer geocoin forum moderator.

SilverMarc,

Perhaps you missed the flak about commercial and charitable posts.  Please post this link in the cointracking.com discussion forums instead.

As per the geocoin forum rules:

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.

The cointracking.com discussion threads are the perfect place for this discussion.

Eartha, your volunteer geocoin forum moderator.

I removed the offending post. (Actually, I couldn't remove it, so I changed it).

--Marc

November 22, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

Edited by SilverMarc
Ooooohoh!!!  :ph34r:  :D  :D

First an database error message and now i can't log in

and the newest coin in the list is SunshineGang!

Hope they made a backup!?  :ph34r:

Yep, we are on it!

But it's a big pain. The hosting tech support managed to "restore" an errant database with a -very- old one. They are getting things back up, but we need to keep it offline until we are sure of the integrity of the data.

Yikes!

--Marc

December 7, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

A major error by someone involved with the Hosting Data Center has caused a rather disagreeable problem with the databases. They are working to restore all database records and we will keep you posted on progress.

It is important for everyone to know that essentially, Willie and I are also totally "with our hands tied" and are spending our energies right now lining up a new Data Center and will be moving the entire site as quickly as possible, as this particular data issue is inexcusable. The site will remain offline for now until we know the status of the restoration to the newest backup that we have on hand.

We are learning new lessons every day, so bear with us as we right the service. Our users have always been the best, especially in a pinch.

Marc & Willie

December 7, 2005 @ 3:31 PM

Okay, no need to mince words here, full disclosure this time, and every time. And yes, clear and unmitigated lessons have been learned today which will also be put in play immediately.

The Hosting Data Center (they will be our PREVIOUS data center tomorrow) has admitted that some data was lost. Here is the text of their latest message to us:

Damage seems to be concentrated in the databases that start with a b and c, with some other random ones thrown in...I'm still looking, but if you want to be back up now, I'll put in that database. I don't have a good feeling about getting newer data than that...this guy wiped out the dailies. He was supposed to wipe out the MONTHLIES and then repopulate the dailies with new, then delete the old ones when we were over to our new system. Instead, it appears, he deleted the dailies and then proceeded to delete the /var partition by accident...banging my head against the wall here.

Sucky thing is that the system that we were switching this machine to would have stopped this kind of problem from happening.

The old "we were about to..." excuse.

It does look like data has been lost on the site. Willie and I have a backup from our recent work that's about two weeks old (An eternity considering the number of new people who have signed on lately), and we are going to restore to that back up today. The site will be back online, but it will be two weeks old.

We have all of the Invoice Numbers for all the Coin Editions and Trading Lists. But of course, we lost a lot of the newer Sign Ups as well, so having one without the other will do no good.

We will all be taking the rebuilding on a step by step basis - Willie and I will create a procedure and a form so that we can restore anyone with lost Coin Editions or Trading Lists. More info will be posted on this.

We are also users of the site too, so I know how this hits you as well (I spent hours just last night trading off all of my remaining trading coins and redoing my list to get it totally up to date...)

We'll put the site back online shortly, we'll get started on working with you on a one to one basis to get your data back online or recreated, and we'll keep the PR side of the whole situation positive by guaranteeing that we'll do whatever you need us to do so as not to lose even one, single client.

More to follow, thanks!

--Marc

December 7, 2005 @ 4:14 PM

Only thing I want to know is this... you charge us $ and only back up our data every 2 weeks? Any paid service should backup every 24-hours. I hope your new plans include this type of data management.

Some of us use our lists for inventory control. I didn't get a chance to see how bad the lists were before you took it all offline. So right now I can only imagine the worst.