Locationless

ladycacher, it will be soon. There is no specific date but Jeremy has been saying in the forums that the solution he has is coming together and is close to being released. Keep your idea handy and watch the forums or the main page of the web site. I can tell you that what I have heard sounds really cool and I am looking forward to trying it myself. I have an idea in mind immediately and I am looking forward to seeing if it works out.

The extra machines to handle the new features have been ordered. It is pretty much in working order but we need to complete the documentation to reduce the amount of questions once the new features are implemented. We're going to run through a trial with a small group of testers, then open up the new features to Premium Members for final feedback before officially launching the locationless solution. All of this is ongoing and we'll have something live within the month. Whether it will be available to everyone is still unknown.

Most of the issues are not related to the technical implementation of the locationless solution, but they're more UI and procedural changes. We're well aware that once the genie is out of the bottle it will be very hard to put it back in.

Edited by Jeremy
Most of the issues are not related to the technical implementation of the locationless solution, but they're more UI and procedural changes. We're well aware that once the genie is out of the bottle it will be very hard to put it back in.

Good news!!! It looks like there is an automated solution for putting the genie back in the bottle.

B00004W4R9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Here's my 2 cents regarding locationless caches:

My brother and I have planned a few road trips hunting for locationless caches. Recently, we targeted the Pony Express, Lewis & Clark Trail, and the Old Lincoln Highway. We would pick up traditional and virtual caches along the way, but get invaluable history lessons during the quest.

To do locationless caches "correctly" requires a lot of research, planning, and some luck. Most good locationless caches end up having fixed locations, so people interested in the topic can visit later with just the GPSr, without the research, planning, and luck.

I eagerly await the return of locationless caches, and hopefully people who place the new ones will cater to interesting themes and locations.

one of my caching buddies is a veritable locationless database. we tease her about it. we'll pass a stick on the sidewalk and say, "ooh! that's a locationless!" similar to the way that she does for some obscure locationless object.

eh, i could take or leave locationless caches. i'd rather get coordinates and go find something than find something and hope i have my gps and my camera with me and that it hasn't already been logged. my buddy? she love love loves locationless. different strokes for different folks.

thanks for the update, jeremy. i'm sure the interface and documentation is a lot of work.

My brother and I have planned a few road trips hunting for locationless caches. Recently, we targeted the Pony Express, Lewis & Clark Trail, and the Old Lincoln Highway. We would pick up traditional and virtual caches along the way, but get invaluable history lessons during the quest.

To do locationless caches "correctly" requires a lot of research, planning, and some luck. Most good locationless caches end up having fixed locations, so people interested in the topic can visit later with just the GPSr, without the research, planning, and luck.

I eagerly await the return of locationless caches, and hopefully people who place the new ones will cater to interesting themes and locations.

I think your confusing locationless caches with virtual caches. Locationless caches have no location and do not require any navigation to get there. They are more or less a list of items (like a scavenger hunt) that you have to take a picture and post coords for. Here is an example. At least that is how they use to be. On the other hand, virtuals do have a specific location with posted coords and you do have to navigate to find it. Like this one.

With virtuals, often you can accomplish the same thing with a regular cache or multi-cache.

My own Example

My way of showing the history was to write a story, written and placed in each cache, that unfolded as you found each stage.

I see virts as best used where traditional caches are not allowed such as National Parks, National Forests, etc... Locationless caches are, IMO, a totally diffrent game and I frankly wouldn't care if I never saw one on this site again.

Salvelinus

edit: Added thought

Edited by Salvelinus

I think your confusing locationless caches with virtual caches. Locationless caches have no location and do not require any navigation to get there. They are more or less a list of items (like a scavenger hunt) that you have to take a picture and post coords for. Here is an example. At least that is how they use to be. On the other hand, virtuals do have a specific location with posted coords and you do have to navigate to find it. Like this one.

With virtuals, often you can accomplish the same thing with a regular cache or multi-cache.

My own Example

My way of showing the history was to write a story, written and placed in each cache, that unfolded as you found each stage.

I see virts as best used where traditional caches are not allowed such as National Parks, National Forests, etc... Locationless caches are, IMO, a totally diffrent game and I frankly wouldn't care if I never saw one on this site again.

Salvelinus

edit: Added thought

Nope, I don't have them confused. You can check my profile and also check the images I've posted.

For example, the Lincoln Highway Marker LC listing itself has no location, but each marker that needs to be found has a fixed location. Same with the Pony Express and the Lewis & Clark Trail Interpretive signs. Going along these historic routes and looking for the markers is a lot of fun, is what I was trying to say.

There are a few LCs that move around, like the archived Yellow Jeep Fever, and VW Hippie Microbus, but I'll make myself clear now, those aren't the ones I was referring to, since it's obvious that you can't plan for those.

Heres my 2 cents worth.I cant wait for new lc caches.I take my 3 year old grandson with me to log these.Now every where we go he shows me every american flag,every barn,every fire truck,every air plane,evey boat,every train,every water tower,and so on.I dont lok at the scenery the same way as I used to.And my grandson is learning about things every body else takes for granted.O.K. maybe that was 3 cents worth.

Wow, I got to this thread because I inquired about creating a locationless cache or finding some other way to log coordinates for historical markers link

I haven't used the forum a whole lot in the year that I have been registered. I didn't realize how much extremism there is amongst geocachers:

"I see virts as best used where traditional caches are not allowed such as National Parks, National Forests, etc... Locationless caches are, IMO, a totally diffrent game and I frankly wouldn't care if I never saw one on this site again."

link to above quote

"Offer up the locationless to anybody who wants to start another website and wash your hands of the whole thing. It's not in the realm of what geocaching ever was supposed to be. I feel the same for virtuals but there are many who love these. That's the answer to the question you didn't ask."

link to above quote

Golly, I thought we were just here for fun?

I saw a LC for Murals Across America, and when I was on a motorcycle trip in May I picked up a brochure for Cape Giradeau, MO in my motel. Imagine my excitement when I saw pictures of murals down on the flood wall of the Mississippi! And the darn things were historic and educational!

With the kind of negativity I have seen on this subject, I doubt these forums will become a regular place I visit.

Edited by maps 'n motorcycles