Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

What software/printer are you using? I get the same results (except, check your PDFs for the hints - are they decrypted?). But the problems people are having seem to be related to different systems being used. The platform, browser and printer setup all make a difference. Windows XP, IE7 and HP printer seem to be OK.

Count your blessings......

I think I'm doing something right. In trying to reproduce the 'error' everyone was having with printing cache pages, I selected simple - no logs. Got a nice printout with everything but the adverts on the left side. Then, I tried it with a PDF. Got a nice usable printout.

Now I'm curious - what's the problem? Or am I doing something right (wrong?)? Or has someone already fixed everything?

(edit to add: Maps are showing up for me, too)

It's sounding to me like people are trying to print the "normal" cache pages, not the print-friendly versions. This works great for me now too - maybe some "print" CSS has been added?

I'm on XP with Firefox. I also tried Opera, out of curiosity. It prints in a much more compact format, but does not print the second map. I tried File|Print, as well as the print link on the cache page. Both are giving me a usable printout.

I used that script and it worked wonderfully. While you are dusting off that one can you please take a look at your script that put links to my logs up at the upper right corner of the cache pages? This new update has removed that functionality. If you can fix that one it would be great.

I haven't had time to create a page for it on my GM site, but the following link will install the script. Hints will be decoded in-line, without reloading the page. Only the cache hint is decoded (not encrypted logs). Line and paragraph breaks are retained. Special characters like an ampersand are handled without problems. Plain text in [brackets] is handled correctly.

Install Script

Obviously, you need to be using the Firefox browser, and need to have Greasemonkey installed first.

The Logs script is on my list-to-be-fixed, but it may be a little while.

Edited by Prime Suspect

We still have the issue of not being able to click anything on the left side of "any Page" due to the 'advertisement' lapping over everything (just can't see it until you try to highlight). We are using 2 different computers - one with XP and the other with Vista and both using Fire Fox Browsers (not 3).

So, when we go to our list of caches - Our owned items, the second one down is Archie. We cannot go to that cache page at all. Also, the benchmark home page, as I have stated before, under "other search options" "Find a Benchmark". We cannot click any of those tiny buttons at all due to this overlapping and therefore not allowed access to anything of value on this page at all.

Let me add to this, since I think I am having the same or similar problems:

On "View Bookmark Lists" I cannot click on the green check at the top of the boxes or the boxes for the first 2 bookmarks listed.

On "My Pocket Queries" I cannot click on the top box or the boxes on the left of the first 2 pocket queries.

On Geocaching.com Google Maps I cannot click on anything on the map slider bar. Not the + or -. I can't grab the slider and drag it. I can't click on any intermediate point to change the map size that way. (Which makes any kind of viewing on these maps pretty useless.)

It's not clear to me that there is any "advertisement" overlap with these spots, but since multiple screens have the same problem in the same area, I suspect there is a common thread.

[Edited to add: I can experiment with where the dead-zone is on the Google Maps because it also prevents clicking on the caches in this area. It is associated with the advertisement. The label "Advertisement" is sized such that the "ment" is on the map. Caches at the same horizontal level as the advertisement (at the bottom and all the way to the top of the map) and within about "6 characters" of the left of the map (at the size of used in "Advertisement") cannot be clicked on. ]

Navigator/9.0.0.6

1280x1024 pixels

I, at first, thought you had increased the font size in your browser but my testing with IE did not cause the same overlap (although your font size is unusually large). Do you have some other accessibility program running in Windows that would enlarge your text? If you have trouble seeing there are other options available, for instance "magnifying lens" type apps that only enlarge portions of your screen. I need more information on this one.

There doesn't seem to have been any response about the postcode problem, which is one of the most serious outstanding issues (at least for UK users, who are numerous!). Perhaps an example would help;

63c53680-f25e-4a6b-8b46-a0afdcc6a49b.jpg

The lower image is what you get when requesting a valid GB postcode. The map is actually the correct area (although a mile or so out), and was requested using "IM9 6ET" on the Advanced Search page then "Search for caches with Google Maps".

Apart from being somewhat north of the correct part of town (it seems that the "6ET" part is ignored), the map suggests that it's a featureless wilderness (although I like the contours!). The Google map above ("Rowany Golf Club" etc.) is of the same area.

The error box ("A location for...") was generated by putting "IM9 6ET" in the "Zoom to Address" box here, and this is the same problem as on the "Hide and Seek" page.

The "Zoom to Address" box goes straight off to Google for geolocation, so if the data from them is incorrect there isn't anything we can do about it. I can see that this postcode example you gave does result in a list of nearby geocaches when using the search on the main page. Is that helpful?

If you are getting the "A location for XXX could not be determined" error when using the "Zoom to Address", and you know the location to be accurate, it could also be because Google is limiting the number of requests from Groundspeak each day and we have exceeded that amount. That is the reason we removed the full text search from the main page in favor of a zip code search. We are investigating a solution to this.

Like some others have mentioned - The "Send to GPS" function seems to have been broken with the update. I have been using this feature for months - so I am not a new user, and I did download and (re)install the latest version of the plug-in when the problem first appeared. Both before, and after the download I get the same error message - Only Garmin GPS units are supported. Needless to say, I am attempting to connect to a Garmin GPS (Colorado 400t). Hopefully this useful function will be restored soon. Thanks for the hard work.

We are working with our contact at Garmin to sort this bug out. At the moment I'm afraid I can't offer any good news, but we will try to have this fixed as soon as possible. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

When I go to the description page for a TB that I've been watching, I'm allowed to add it to my watch list (again), but removing it is no longer an option. The same thing happens with Geocoins. I've had the same results with Firefox 2.0.0.16 and IE 7.0.5730.11 using Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP 2 Build 2600.

By the way, LOVE the driving directions.

I have documented this bug for the devs. Thank you for reporting it.

I have been trying to update my avatar and signature today and it isn't working. I tried to use the register option that was given in the help files but that doesn't work either. Is it me or can we not update these at the moment?

i noticed that this issue has not REALLY been addressed. i have been trying to give myself an avatar in the forums. i've tried just about everything. i can't get it to work. on gc.com it shows that i have an avatar and signature. however, the register link in the forums won't work. it just sends me back to the Groundspeak forums home. it's getting really frustrating as it has been a problem all week for me.

You might have noticed that the intermediate step between clicking the forum link, and actually landing on the forum was removed. I believe there were some unintended consequences to removing this step, which I'll have the devs look into. I'm sorry for the confusion!

The 'bookmark list' pagination issue still exists (where it only shows you page 1), but i'm not quite sure how to trigger it. I'm still seeing it off and on.

If i figure out reliable steps, i'll post em here.

I would appreciate any steps you can provide on this. Thanks.

I'm also having trouble printing the cache description pages; while I can print out the "Short Description - No logs "- page, I usually prefer to print out the regular cache page for puzzle or multicaches. When I try to do that, the left hand side is cut off, and, as others have reported, it will not print any differently in landscape format or when I try to resize it to a percentage less than 100%. Very frustrating - I hope this can be fixed!

We have a fix ready to address part of the printing issue. That is, the odd behavior that cuts off the left portion of the page. When I can grab a dev to make me a new build we'll push it out. This could be tomorrow or sooner. It does not fix all of your complaints (e.g. print friendly versions) but it should help with the printing of WYSIWYG cache pages.

new set up looks good, classier.

so far only one thing ild like to suggest.

in the Edit Listing page, on the "Reset" button could you PLEASE set a javascript verification as in : "Are you sure you wish to reset"

or put the reset button to the right of the page and put the "Edit listing" to the left where the Reset button now resides.

I start out by typing the text on a seperate file to then copy it to the Listing, but I'm always editing, fine tuning checking how it looks on the Listing page itself... and then... Reset ... ARGHHH

cheers

I documented this feature for a future release.

I am not receiving emails when I log finds or DNFs to items on My Watchlist. I've emailed the owners about them. They didn't receive the emails either.

I do receive emails when others submit logs for items on My Watchlist.

This is happening for:

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade

- geocaches that I've added to My Watchlist since the upgrade.

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade that I've removed from the list and readded before submitting logs.

:huh:

I will look into this, but so far I am receiving all my watchlist emails. Can anyone else corroborate?

I made a quick search of the comments on decrypting the hints but I did not see anything about encrypted logs.

Previously having encrypted text in the middle of the log worked OK - using [ ] to mark unencrypted text before and after the relevant text. Now it seems that plain text in [ ] AFTER the encrypted passage is also encrypted.

Further investigation seems to indicate that the [ ] around the emoticons are confusing the decrypt code?

Someone else earlier in the thread had this problem last week, so it's on the radar. Thank you for adding the emoticon theory - I think you're on to something with that.

Once again, if I didn't call you out by name it isn't because I didn't read or ignored your comments/bug reports. Thank you all for continuing to keep us informed!

So far, the biggest issue for me with this new release is the removal of the "Find newest in..." link that used to be on the home page.

Living in the corner of the state, the "List newest in Arkansas" link on "MY" page just doesn't do it for me, as there are parts of OK and MO that are much closer to me than most of AR.

It would be nice if the "List newest" link on "MY" page could be a 50 mile radius, instead of just the state my "Home coordinates" are in.

And yes, I know I can (and have) create a PQ to do this, but one click is a whole lot easier.

I, at first, thought you had increased the font size in your browser but my testing with IE did not cause the same overlap (although your font size is unusually large). Do you have some other accessibility program running in Windows that would enlarge your text? If you have trouble seeing there are other options available, for instance "magnifying lens" type apps that only enlarge portions of your screen. I need more information on this one.

Can't speak for 2oldfarts, but here is my setup:

Navigator/9.0.0.6

1280x1024 pixels

Advanced option: Mininum font size 20 pixels

Now this worked before the current "bug fix" and I could click on all the boxes I needed to , but if you want to say "tough, change how you are doing things" I guess I have no recourse.

(Although I suspect if you would just do something about that ADVERTISEMENT label I would be OK.)

Here is a cropped screen shot with the red arrow pointing to the overlap problem. I was able to show this by highlighting the word advertisement.

aa6b1b99-68fb-41ba-b3f1-d47916512600.jpg

This is in Firefox 2.0.0.9 with a screen resolution of 1280 X 960.

This overlap is preventing using any of the buttons on that side of the page.

John

This was our earlier post by John. If you want more info than this, it will have to wait for an hour when John gets home from work. Yup, he has to work too.

Shirley~

PS: I agree with beejay&esskay about the "Advertisement" header seems to be what is screwing things up for us on any page. And all of this worked for us before the update, it should be the website that solves this and not us that has to adjust just for this site.

The "Zoom to Address" box goes straight off to Google for geolocation, so if the data from them is incorrect there isn't anything we can do about it. I can see that this postcode example you gave does result in a list of nearby geocaches when using the search on the main page. Is that helpful?

If you are getting the "A location for XXX could not be determined" error when using the "Zoom to Address", and you know the location to be accurate, it could also be because Google is limiting the number of requests from Groundspeak each day and we have exceeded that amount. That is the reason we removed the full text search from the main page in favor of a zip code search. We are investigating a solution to this.

The "Zoom to Address" box is one of the two places generating the "A location for XXX could not be determined" error. the other is on the main "Hide and Seek" page, where it always returns the error.

This seems very consistent.

The "Advanced Search" is consistently returning a list of caches using the same postcode, which is useful although centred rather inaccurately.

So you can't, for instance, give the postcode of a town centre and expect to see the nearest cache at the top of the list: I have a hunch that it's based on the general postcode area (i.e. the "NG18" part of the postcode "NG18 5DS").

I've never seen this actually work correctly: it's always the same (and I've used different postcodes) although some people claim to have it working perfectly (?).

I think I'm doing something right. In trying to reproduce the 'error' everyone was having with printing cache pages, I selected simple - no logs. Got a nice printout with everything but the adverts on the left side. Then, I tried it with a PDF. Got a nice usable printout.

Now I'm curious - what's the problem? Or am I doing something right (wrong?)? Or has someone already fixed everything?

(edit to add: Maps are showing up for me, too)

It's sounding to me like people are trying to print the "normal" cache pages, not the print-friendly versions. This works great for me now too - maybe some "print" CSS has been added?

Print friendly is not always so friendly. One of my caches, GC1AZX6, taks 19 pages to print in the 'friendly' version, twice as much as the 'normal' (WYSIWYG) print. Also, it is very 'un-friendy' to read. The normal print was great until it was broken :o , ad now does not print part the left hand side. :ph34r:

We've been in the motorized age for over 100 years and yet we still use horses as a viable means of transportation. As antiquated as it may seem, there is a culture who shuns the automobile and goes by horse and buggy. Not everybody is comfortable with going paperless. The font is too small, the screen is too small, carrying a laptop big enough to make it readable for some is too impractical for many reasons. Going paperless shouldn't be pushed as THE solution for everybody.

Perhaps I was a bit unsympathetic. :P

It seems there are literally droves of cachers who still print cache pages, and I think we are (as a group) not as green as we should be. ;)

I can set the font on my PDA to be quite large...comparable to a printed page.

The screen on my GPSr is too small as well, I got accustomed to it. :o

Considering the price of fuel, Equine transport may be the wave of the future!

I'm pretty sure no Amish have ever had a computer printing problem. :ph34r:

They never have GPS signal issues, either. :D

(...)

Once again, if I didn't call you out by name it isn't because I didn't read or ignored your comments/bug reports. Thank you all for continuing to keep us informed!

I don't want to be called by name, just an acknowledgement of the special characteres in notifications ( & ), French characters ( é à è ô) and other "Nordic" characters (Æ, Ø and Å, æ, ø and å) showing as "& # 2 3 3" (without the spaces) in email titles and bodies.

Special characters in notifications email title and body shows "& # 2 3 3" (w/o the spaces) instead of é (for example) since the 22nd.
Nordic Letters is not shown right

After the upgrade, the Nordic letters, e.g. Æ, Ø and Å (æ, ø and å) is not shown right in the automatic generated email to owner of a listing. It is also wrong in the Groundspeak Weekly Notification mail.

Examples (added space between & and # for the letter code to be shown here on the forum):

ø are shown as: & #248;

å are shown as: & #229;

æ are shown as: & #230;

I reported that on page #2.. the problem is still there for French charaters (à è ì ò ù é ê â î ô û À É ë ...) and still no news about it! :ph34r:

OOPS! :ph34r:

I forgot to mention that the Benchmark pages are still wonky, with lots of overlapping text.

Couldn't possibly go benchmark hunting unless it's fixed!

Oh, and there's still the problem with right-clicking on images opening the image in lightbox, rather than giving the context menu as should be displayed (Firefox only).

(...)

I don't want to be called by name, just an acknowledgement of the special characteres in notifications ( & ), French characters ( é à è ô) and other "Nordic" characters (Æ, Ø and Å, æ, ø and å) showing as "& # 2 3 3" (without the spaces) in email titles and bodies.

Special characters in notifications email title and body shows "& # 2 3 3" (w/o the spaces) instead of é (for example) since the 22nd.
Nordic Letters is not shown right

After the upgrade, the Nordic letters, e.g. Æ, Ø and Å (æ, ø and å) is not shown right in the automatic generated email to owner of a listing. It is also wrong in the Groundspeak Weekly Notification mail.

Examples (added space between & and # for the letter code to be shown here on the forum):

ø are shown as: & #248;

å are shown as: & #229;

æ are shown as: & #230;

I reported that on page #2.. the problem is still there for French charaters (à è ì ò ù é ê â î ô û À É ë ...) and still no news about it! :ph34r:

GrosseFamille yes we are aware of it. As stated we are aware of all the problems that have been mentioned in this thread. My pointing out this one issue and letting you know it is known does not change its position in the list. If its been posted here we know about it. Even if we did not acknowledge it with a personal note.

As stated we are aware of all the problems that have been mentioned in this thread. My pointing out this one issue and letting you know it is known does not change its position in the list. If its been posted here we know about it. Even if we did not acknowledge it with a personal note.

A suggestion for the next major update.

Ok. Thank you!

You are welcome but in the future please understand that we see them all and are aware of them even if we do not acknowledge the problem individually. :o

I understand.. but, this is MY most annoying problem and it was also reported by 2 other users. A simple "Notification Special Characters problem: working on it, but not top priority at the moment" would have been nice.

Thanks for reading, and mostly, replying! :ph34r:

We still have the issue of not being able to click anything on the left side of "any Page" due to the 'advertisement' lapping over everything (just can't see it until you try to highlight). We are using 2 different computers - one with XP and the other with Vista and both using Fire Fox Browsers (not 3).

So, when we go to our list of caches - Our owned items, the second one down is Archie. We cannot go to that cache page at all. Also, the benchmark home page, as I have stated before, under "other search options" "Find a Benchmark". We cannot click any of those tiny buttons at all due to this overlapping and therefore not allowed access to anything of value on this page at all.

Let me add to this, since I think I am having the same or similar problems:

On "View Bookmark Lists" I cannot click on the green check at the top of the boxes or the boxes for the first 2 bookmarks listed.

On "My Pocket Queries" I cannot click on the top box or the boxes on the left of the first 2 pocket queries.

On Geocaching.com Google Maps I cannot click on anything on the map slider bar. Not the + or -. I can't grab the slider and drag it. I can't click on any intermediate point to change the map size that way. (Which makes any kind of viewing on these maps pretty useless.)

It's not clear to me that there is any "advertisement" overlap with these spots, but since multiple screens have the same problem in the same area, I suspect there is a common thread.

[Edited to add: I can experiment with where the dead-zone is on the Google Maps because it also prevents clicking on the caches in this area. It is associated with the advertisement. The label "Advertisement" is sized such that the "ment" is on the map. Caches at the same horizontal level as the advertisement (at the bottom and all the way to the top of the map) and within about "6 characters" of the left of the map (at the size of used in "Advertisement") cannot be clicked on. ]

Navigator/9.0.0.6

1280x1024 pixels

Please read what is written......Firefox browser NOT IE! It works fine in IE 7, but not in Firefox 2.0.0.9. It worked fine before the "update", but now it is a pain in the as* to get to some of our own cache pages.

This is happening with both of our computers - One is an HP desktop with XP and the other is a new HP laptop with Vista.

As to the unusually large font it is Times New Roman size 16. We are not as young as some folks so having the font a little large is less strain on the eyes, but there is no problem seeing the sarcasm in your tone and you trying to pass the blame to someone else for your errors.

I'm sorry you can't figure out what is causing the problem, but expecting your customer to adapt to your problem is not good business sense.

Patience is dwindling fast due to your "change your system and it will work with our system" attitude!

John

As to the unusually large font it is Times New Roman size 16. We are not as young as some folks so having the font a little large is less strain on the eyes, but there is no problem seeing the sarcasm in your tone and you trying to pass the blame to someone else for your errors.

I'm sorry you can't figure out what is causing the problem, but expecting your customer to adapt to your problem is not good business sense.

Patience is dwindling fast due to your "change your system and it will work with our system" attitude!

John

Thank you, John. Cataract surgery has improved my vision from 20/1200 to 20/20. But only at a four foot focal length. Or two feet with the bifocals. Hey! My plastic eyes do not focus! Two feet or four feet. That's it. (And it's great not being blind!!) Due consideration needs to be given to the visually impaired!

I am not receiving emails when I log finds or DNFs to items on My Watchlist. I've emailed the owners about them. They didn't receive the emails either.

This is happening for:

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade that I've removed from the list and readded before submitting logs.

:ph34r:

I will look into this, but so far I am receiving all my watchlist emails. Can anyone else corroborate?

OK, I can corroborate this bug, just logged a dnf to a cache on my watchlist, no email.

I also noticed that since the update, I'm not getting the logs for my "personal" TB that I use for mileage tracking. I "drop" it in to each cache I find and then retrieve it. over 30 finds since the update, not one email.

This is happening for:

I mentioned that it was happening to me in post #596 above.

I'm not receiving the notification e-mails for caches on my watchlist, TB's on my watchlist, my own caches, or my own TB's...seems like the only ones I'm getting are for new caches published in the area.

This is happening for:

More evidence: on the "Hide and Seek" search, a valid postcode "NG18 5DT" returned the "A location for ..." error. But I changed it to "NG18 5DS" and it worked. Then the first one also began working. I guarantee that both are valid, and they both find the correct location when using Google Maps. However, my home postcode IM9 6ES (which worked previous to the site updates) doesn't work on GC.COM, nor on Google.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

We are now offering 4 different ways of purchasing a Premium Membership, with both PayPal and credit cards being accepted. PayPal no longer requires a subscription ID and both methods are instant. Any active PayPal (renewing) subscriptions will remain valid unless, or until, it is canceled for whatever reason.

PayPal

• $30 Annual Premium Membership (Non-Renewing)

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

• 1 Year Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $30 USD/Year
  • 1 Year Premium Membership - $30 USD/Year
  • 3 Month Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $10 USD/3 Months

And now for the bug fixes! Here they are in no particular order:

• Updated email notifications for Premium Membership
  • The "renew" membership link will now only appear if the membership is within 60 days of expiration
  • Re-ordered page titles for cache pages. e.g.: GCTANE Trees of Greenlake: The Empress (Multi-cache) in Washington, United States created by licibear & drizzle
  • Updated freetrial.aspx page with new language and error checking
  • Added region search to UK and Ireland
  • Updated Send to GPS functionality for Garmin devices so the Gpx output is in GML (or the Garmin Modeling Language), a subset of html.
  • Slovak cache note added
  • An audit log note is now created when an adoption is complete.
  • Re-arranged the /my/ page for cleaner presentation
  • Added new icon to search results which indicates multiple Travel Bugs are placed in a cache
  • Rebuilt "about us" page
  • Improved spacing between username and log out link on home page
  • Updated mailing address for Groundspeak on contact us
  • Added MacCaching link to list of GPS software
  • Removed all hard coded instances of nearest.aspx
  • Pocket Query page will now properly post back when a different coordinate format is selected from the dropdown
  • Fixed mispelling in Glossary
  • Added error checking to /track page when searching for non-existent travel bug
  • Fixed issue that prevented the selecting of state/province on membership creation page
  • Fixed map on edit cache page to properly display new coordinates
  • Text change instructing users on contacting Shop Groundspeak on Contact Us
  • Updated Copyright notice on TOU page
  • Various dates and typos have been fixed in the TOU
  • Added CacheBerry to list of GPS software links
  • Fixed grammar issue on cache submission form
  • Fixed issue with odd characters being used in username creation
  • Updated Shop Groundspeak contact info on Contact Us page
  • Removed find and hide count from friends list
  • Removed references to "stash note" from /seek page
  • Fixed Pocket Query issue where no results were found when Flashlight Required attribute is enabled
  • Fixed issue with Google Earth KML causing errors for certain Travel Bugs and Geocoins
  • Fixed issue with certain Geocoins failing activation
  • Fixed login link on geocoin faq page
  • Updated link to support page on contact us
  • Added to cache pages the ability to click through to a complete list of shared Bookmark Lists
  • Fixed issue with ampersands in encrypted cache hints adding nonsense code each time it is decrypted
  • Removed HTML Encoding for cache pages when using Send to GPS functionality
  • Fixed issue with Travel Bug dropdown menus duplicating each time an item is selected
  • Changed wording on FAQ page to clarify "Where you *hide* a cache is up to you"
  • Updated FAQ on proper process for adopting trackables
  • Improved decrypt/encrypt feature by maintaining original line breaks
  • Fixed spelling errors in FAQ and Glossary
  • Entering an invalid cache ID in the PQ generator now correctly reports the error
  • Updated wording on the "email a user" page
  • An error will now be generated when attempting to transfer ownership of a virtual or webcam cache using the /adopt tool
  • Fixed issue with random route not loading when page is posted back (User Routes)
  • Removed ability to queue "My Finds" PQ if user has no finds
  • When submitting a cache listing the "hide a cache" page now defaults to the account's country. If a region is chosen it will also select the default region.
  • Trackable activation wizard will now default to today's date
  • Added asterisk to Mega-Event caches in profile geocache tab
  • Removed redundant text from cache creation page
  • Fixed rating functionality for bookmark lists to properly display or hide based on ratings
  • Removed broken link to "country map" from UK cache pages
  • Added CITO logos to logousage.aspx
  • Fixed issue where some usernames starting with a number or symbol were not accepted
  • Fixed issue with URLs not displaying properly in cache logs
  • Remove geocoin text from trackable FAQ (they have their own FAQ)
  • Fixed issue on /track where hitting the enter key does not submit search
  • Fixed issues with Green Jeep Travel Bug pages where the CSS displayed incorrectly.

As usual, please reply in this thread with any problems that come up as a result of this release. If you need clarification on any of these, just ask.

We still have plenty to keep us busy, so if your favorite bug didn't make it into this release, fear not. We will get to it as soon as possible. :ph34r:

SORRY I LIKE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS..IM NOT YELLING.

I FOUND OUT PER GARMIN THAT ONE OF YOUR UPDATES (SEND TO GPS FUNCTIONALITY) IS WHAT MY PROBLEM IS WHEN TRYING TO UPOAD ANY CACHES FROM THE WEBSITE, TO MY NEW GARMIN ETREX VISTA HCX. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING. IS EVERYTHING IN ORDER. YES IT IS, I DOWNLOADED EVERYTHING AND WENT THRU THE MOTIONS FOR THE PAST 22 HOURS TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK. I EVEN HAD THERE TECH AND PROGRAM SPECIALISTS CONTROL MY COMPUTER FOR 45 MIN TO TRY TO FIX PROBLEM. AND AFTER ALL FRUSTRATION THEY TALKED TO THERE SUPERIOR WHICH TOLD THEM IT IS ON GEOCACHING'S SIDE NOT GARMIN'S. I ALSO POSTED A THREAD ON GPS AND TECHNOLOGY TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM AND AS YOU CAN SEE THE HOUR COUNT IT TOOK ME ALL DAY TO GET NO WHERE. PLEASE HELP.THANKS

LOSTCORKY.

I agree - WHO STUFFED UP THE PRINT FUNCTION - IT CHOPS OFF THE LHS & COORDS IF I TRY AND PRINT THE CACHE PAGE AS IS and, I HAVEN'T CHANGED anything ON/IN MY PC.

PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I'm SHOUTING - Someone busted something that worked PERFECTLY.

I'm also having that problem of the "advertisement" overlapping. I've noticed it on the pocket query page where it can't let me select Sunday or Monday. I also have noticed it on the google maps where it stops me from zooming.

I'm using firefox3 with minimum font size set to 22 so I can see it. If I take away the minimum font setting and allow pages to choose their own fonts the problem goes away but then the text is too small for me to read so that is not an option. I'm disappointed to see the site become less usable when I had hoped it became more usable when it was updated.

I still have a hard time with the menu but I just book marked the sections I go to. It also helps that the links are pretty much in the same places and have a title set so firefox shows that when I put the mouse over it.

First off, we think the new fix is great. Everything looks much more streamlined and user friendly. We have been waiting for an update like this for years. Thank you!

Secondly, for those of you complaining about printing: go paperless and save a tree or two while you are at it. You never know who might be hiding a cache near that tree they are chopping down because you had to have a paper printout.

Lastly, has anyone run into an issue with email notification not being received on your own trackable items? We have a couple of coins we use as mileage trackers and since the update we have not been getting the notifications when we "dip" them. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

-bnp

Secondly, for those of you complaining about printing: go paperless and save a tree or two while you are at it.

Lastly, has anyone run into an issue with email notification not being received on your own trackable items? We have a couple of coins we use as mileage trackers and since the update we have not been getting the notifications when we "dip" them. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

-bnp

Just check the cache page for the trackable. Sure it is a bit of an inconvenience, but so is changing over to be paperless. No big deal, right?

John

We've been in the motorized age for over 100 years and yet we still use horses as a viable means of transportation. As antiquated as it may seem, there is a culture who shuns the automobile and goes by horse and buggy. Not everybody is comfortable with going paperless. The font is too small, the screen is too small, carrying a laptop big enough to make it readable for some is too impractical for many reasons. Going paperless shouldn't be pushed as THE solution for everybody.

Perhaps I was a bit unsympathetic. :o

It seems there are literally droves of cachers who still print cache pages, and I think we are (as a group) not as green as we should be. :o

I can set the font on my PDA to be quite large...comparable to a printed page.

The screen on my GPSr is too small as well, I got accustomed to it. :drama:

Considering the price of fuel, Equine transport may be the wave of the future!

I'm pretty sure no Amish have ever had a computer printing problem. :unsure:

They never have GPS signal issues, either. :ph34r:

That's because we are getting more and more new users dipping their feet into the game. The flipside of that perception is as people become accustomed to the GPS technology, they are looking for ways to reduce the amount of paper they carry with them. From multiple pages on a single side to actually going paperless.

Frankly, I still know a couple of people who use a word processor the same way they use a typewriter. I shudder everytime I go in to fix their formatting. :o

I guess I should read through all 600+ posts, but the only things bothering me are:

1. the excessive whitespace

2. no email notifications on drops of your own trackables (I've just noticed this is happening to me as well)

Please read what is written......Firefox browser NOT IE! It works fine in IE 7, but not in Firefox 2.0.0.9. It worked fine before the "update", but now it is a pain in the as* to get to some of our own cache pages.

This is happening with both of our computers - One is an HP desktop with XP and the other is a new HP laptop with Vista.

John

You assume too much, and perceive malice where there is none. I don't care how you choose to use your computer, except to the extent that it affects your experience on Geocaching.com.

Thank you for explaining that you have increased your font size - that is what I was trying to determine. Can you tell me how you went about that? If I can reproduce your error here there is a much better chance of it being fixed.

Edit: Nevermind, that is the default font setting for FF. I'll keep looking.

Edited by OpinioNate

On the welcome page the search for geocaches now has a zip entered, I assume for the lily pad. It use to be blank, but now with the starting zip code I wonder is there any way for me to customize this to my zip code?

Thanks,

Jim

:ph34r::o:o:o:o:o:o:unsure:

The issue of not being able to print a cache page IS ALSO the same issue with printing a benchmark page!

Printing a benchmark page is CRITICAL to this aspect of the hobby. Without this we are SCREWED!

I can only assume the folks that made the change are not active participants or users of what they publish.

PLEASE return the ability to screenprint a page from this site to us members

:drama::D:o:o:o:o:D

Secondly, for those of you complaining about printing: go paperless and save a tree or two while you are at it.

-bnp

Just check the cache page for the trackable. Sure it is a bit of an inconvenience, but so is changing over to be paperless. No big deal, right?

John

I don't think you quite understand the concept. Paperless caching is about saving the earth for the future; it has nothing to do with checking something that already exists. There is no "changing over to paperless": you either do it or you don't. As for the TB issue, I move the coins personally so I know exactly where they are. I am making the point for the other 50,000 users who release bugs and coins that don't get notified.

Crawl back under your rock and stay there until you know what you are talking about.

Just spent the last few hours re-reading ALL these posts, from #1 to #639.

Post #344 is still true. It was somewhat addressed by OpinioNate But with some caveats and/or ambiguities.

If one is not logged into geocaching.com and not logged into the forums and one presses the forums link it goes to www.geocaching.com/forums which used to be the 'register changes' link. But there is no link there and one can't get into the forums unless they remember that the actual url to the forums is forums.Groundspeak.com and type that URL directly into their browser.

If one is logged into geocaching.com and also is logged into the forums then clicking that link gets you directly into the forums. But I'm unsure if password changes, or avatar changes get 'registered'. Did OpinioNate address that inability to change the avatar issue?

If one is not logged into geocaching.com but is logged into the forums then one still has to know that the url for the forums is forums.Groundspeak.com. I.E. There is no link on that www.geocaching.com/forums page that gets into the forums. A relatively standard web programming rule is that there should be no web pages that do not have a link and who's URL has to be memorized and typed manually.

There is no login link on the Membership page that one sees in place of the My Account page when one is not logged into geocaching.com. There are actually none of the standard geocaching.com links to the left on that page, and the bottom of the page does not match any other page on geocaching.com. One has to use their browsers back button to go back or type in a url manually to get to geocaching.com.

Some of these affect people who use upper case and lower case letters in their password but opt for the simpler password when logging nto geocaching.com.

good job on everythnig else. thanks.

Thank you for explaining that you have increased your font size - that is what I was trying to determine. Can you tell me how you went about that? If I can reproduce your error here there is a much better chance of it being fixed.

Edit: Nevermind, that is the default font setting for FF. I'll keep looking.

Sometimes us old farts take offense when no offense was meant. (I hope the other 2 don't mind me including myself.)

To cause the problem in Netscape Navigator:

Tools/Options/Fonts and Colors (Advanced)/Mimimum font size

Mine is set to 20.

I may have made other changes there but I think that is the only one you need to change to see the issue.

I don't think you quite understand the concept. Paperless caching is about saving the earth for the future; it has nothing to do with checking something that already exists. There is no "changing over to paperless": you either do it or you don't. As for the TB issue, I move the coins personally so I know exactly where they are. I am making the point for the other 50,000 users who release bugs and coins that don't get notified.
So if something changes with the way others are used to doing something (printing), they should adapt to a new way (paperless). If something changes with the way you are used to doing something (email notices), the site should fix it.

I think maybe you're the one that didn't quite understand. Everyone is just asking for features that are broken to be fixed, so that the programmers are aware of it.

Crawl back under your rock and stay there until you know what you are talking about.
Nice.

-bnp

John

I have been a conservationist all my life. The term conservationist means one who use the resources wisely in case you do not recognize that word.

We are paperless and have been for quite some time, but we don't see the need to force others to do things our way. We try to set a good example on how things can be done, but let others decide for themselves how they should do something.

The point I was making is simple. If GC.com broke the site for so many people then they should fix it and not expect people to change to meet their needs.

Oh, i don't hide under a rock, I perch high in a tree just waiting for an unsuspecting victim to come waltzing past.

John

The issue of not being able to print a cache page IS ALSO the same issue with printing a benchmark page!

Printing a benchmark page is CRITICAL to this aspect of the hobby. Without this we are SCREWED!

I can only assume the folks that made the change are not active participants or users of what they publish.

Enough with the emoticons! Calm down... it's a game... :unsure:

But have you tried Firefox? It might help.

-bnp

John

I have been a conservationist all my life. The term conservationist means one who use the resources wisely in case you do not recognize that word.

We are paperless and have been for quite some time, but we don't see the need to force others to do things our way. We try to set a good example on how things can be done, but let others decide for themselves how they should do something.

The point I was making is simple. If GC.com broke the site for so many people then they should fix it and not expect people to change to meet their needs.

Oh, i don't hide under a rock, I perch high in a tree just waiting for an unsuspecting victim to come waltzing past.

John

Then quit trying to bait people. Stay in the background and enjoy your perch. Being snide and contrite only makes you look uneducated to those that don't know any better. Using sarcasm to make a point only puts others on the defensive, myself included.

Give GC a break. Do you think that the way the sight looked when you first logged on for the first time looked different to those who logged in on day one? Change is a natural progression and I think you better get used to that point as your crying on the forums about font size is not seeming to make a bit of difference. Did you ever think about the server space that was probably saved? Or the redundant processes that were eliminated? As a "conservationalist", those should have been your top priorities: eliminating waste when it was not needed.

I noticed an issue with the upgrade and asked for others' opinions and help. You saw a flaw and demanded the site be reverted to suit your needs.

So if something changes with the way others are used to doing something (printing), they should adapt to a new way (paperless). If something changes with the way you are used to doing something (email notices), the site should fix it.

I think maybe you're the one that didn't quite understand. Everyone is just asking for features that are broken to be fixed, so that the programmers are aware of it.

Nice.

No, I simply asked if anyone had any suggestions. I was not trying to get into a war of words with anyone, but when someone puts me on the defensive (Mr. OldFart (rockhounds)) I will defend my position. My point was to try a new way of doing things and adapt to what is out there. If something is broken it should be fixed. If it cannot be fixed, then adapt to something else.

Some find joy in lurking in the background and then pouncing when they have an opportunity. That is the joy of the forums to them: they can hide behind their name and blast anyone for trying to voice an alternative.

But yes, programmers should test, test, test, and retest before something goes live. I agree with you 100%.

Enough with the emoticons! Calm down... it's a game... :unsure:

But have you tried Firefox? It might help.

I could print the out in Russian too, I guess. Sorry. No, I have not tried Friedfox, and never plan on trying it. I should venture a guess that the majority of geocachers use MSIE. If it doesn't need fixing, why break it? Yes. It's a game. And now it is a game that is not working right for most of the players.

For anything other than Traditional caches, half the page is missing with the 'simple' print version. Simple-minded, if you ask me.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

You've mistaken a temporary work-around for a long-term solution. Nobody on GC.com has said that people will have to change browsers from now on, if they want to print out caches. They were simply trying to help people out now, because a full solution will take some time.

It's the classic "light a candle" or "curse the darkness" choice.

Please stop cluttering up this thread with unrelated posts. This isn't a good place to have a paperless vs. paper discussion. Thanks.

We're pushing out a new build with the printing fix momentarily. Please keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive fix (ie no changes to the pdfs), and only targets the "left column missing" problem. We will focus on more later.

Jeremy is looking at the problem with avatars and sigs not updating in the forums now, so I'll have more on that later. Thanks all.

Edited by OpinioNate