Offline Pocket Queries

Okiebryan

The copy for that feature was not updated as it should have been. Here is the text:

Offline Pocket Queries

Offline Pocket Queries allow Premium Members to upload customized .GPX files to the website for later use by the Geocaching iPhone Application and select mobile devices.

This feature allows you to download a customized Pocket Query, alter the data in your preferred third party waypoint manager and upload the altered version to Geocaching.com for later download to your mobile device.

The website will currently accept GPX version 1.0 uploads in either .GPX or .ZIP format.

Premium Members may save up to 10 Offline Pocket Queries, which will remain on the website for a maximum of 7 days. The Offline Pocket Query will display in red when there are 2 days remaining before its removal.

Please Note: .GPX files must be limited to 500 waypoints.

I can see how an iPhone user might want to tweak the data in their PQ, but I don't understand why they would need to run it through this website to get it into their phone.

Even beyond that, I don't understand the propensity to cater to iPhone users as if they were royalty, and the waste of programmer keystrokes to do it!

:D

I can see how an iPhone user might want to tweak the data in their PQ, but I don't understand why they would need to run it through this website to get it into their phone.

Even beyond that, I don't understand the propensity to cater to iPhone users as if they were royalty, and the waste of programmer keystrokes to do it!

:D

How about correcting coordinates for Unknown/Mystery/Puzzle caches?

If you use a PQ directly from GC.com it will have the false published coordiantes. By tweaking that PQ in GSAK it's possible to correct the coordinates. Now, how do I get that on my iPhone to use with the Geocaching app? By using this new 'Offline Pocket Query' features that Groundspeak has been kind enough to provide. Otherwise I have to purchase a third party software (like Geosphere) to load GPX files on my iPhone.

B)

Thanks Groundspeak! :D

Even beyond that, I don't understand the propensity to cater to iPhone users as if they were royalty, and the waste of programmer keystrokes to do it! :D

This would also be helpful for BlackBerry users, or anybody using an on-line device. It's just like a bit of server space to have at your disposal for a short period of time. I can see using this with my BlackBerry/CacheBerry combination.

The copy for that feature was not updated as it should have been. Here is the text:

Offline Pocket Queries

Offline Pocket Queries allow Premium Members to upload customized .GPX files to the website for later use by the Geocaching iPhone Application and select mobile devices.

This feature allows you to download a customized Pocket Query, alter the data in your preferred third party waypoint manager and upload the altered version to Geocaching.com for later download to your mobile device.

The website will currently accept GPX version 1.0 uploads in either .GPX or .ZIP format.

Premium Members may save up to 10 Offline Pocket Queries, which will remain on the website for a maximum of 7 days. The Offline Pocket Query will display in red when there are 2 days remaining before its removal.

Please Note: .GPX files must be limited to 500 waypoints.

OK, I uploaded a couple of ZIP'd GPX files but I can't find them in the iPhone app...is there an update in the works to access these offline queries?

I don't get the point here.

First I shall download a PQ, then upload it back to GC.com, then download again if I will need it tomorrow? That's a lot of bandwith waste!

And why should I upload a PQ to iPhone when I have access to the online database from the iPhone?

This feels like a feature that have no need.

First I shall download a PQ, then upload it back to GC.com, then download again if I will need it tomorrow? That's a lot of bandwith waste!

And why should I upload a PQ to iPhone when I have access to the online database from the iPhone?

1. it’s used to upload altered pqs (ie: pqs with some corrected coords, user created additional waypoints, etc).

2. there are areas without or with very bad reception.

3. ipod users will be happy

frohes jagen

So how are you gonna download your altered PQ then ????

I do that all the time, and I don't need to waste server cycles on the site to do it. (Or HD space)

I upload the corrections directly to my GPSr and PDA all by my little old self.

That's great for you...but doesn't help anyone using an iPhone.

Currently, there is no other way to do it on the iPhone without resorting to third party software.

Just because this new feature doesn't benefit you doesn't mean it's a wasted effort.

So how are you gonna download your altered PQ then ????

Simple...you download the PQs while you're in an area with good reception (e.g. home) before going out into the field where there is no reception (e.g. the middle of the Ocala National Forest).

I do that all the time, and I don't need to waste server cycles on the site to do it. (Or HD space)

I upload the corrections directly to my GPSr and PDA all by my little old self.

That's great for you...but doesn't help anyone using an iPhone.

Currently, there is no other way to do it on the iPhone without resorting to third party software.

Just because this new feature doesn't benefit you doesn't mean it's a wasted effort.

Oh, I see.

Your iPhone needs crutches.

Well, I intend to make full usage of this new feature! :)

I can see using this with my iPhone easily. I use GSAK to manage all my pq data. it has corrected coords for muticaches and mystery caches. It has my notes about the cache, etc.

I create a 500 waypoint pq using GSAK using whatever criteria I want.

Upload this to Groundspeak and now I can download it to my iPhone for later use.

I am sure they need a time frame on how long to keep the files so they do not sit there for 2 years. Most pq data is dated after 7 days, so that is a good cut off and matches how long the pqs are stored online already after you run them.

------------------

This is probably also in response to the 'other' iPhone geocaching app allowing users to download PQs either from gc.com or self created. Now the 'official' app can do something similar.

Keep the updates coming!

I forgot to ask how you are going to correct any co-ordinates WITHOUT third-party software?

I think you misunderstood my point...I was actually referring to loading additional 3rd party software on the iPhone (e.g. Geosphere) which can read any GPX file.

But since you asked...a GPX file is just a text file so any text editor (e.g. Notepad) can make changes to it. Does your computer not have a text editor?

I don't understand why you're hanging around this thread since you've already said you have no use for this new feature. Just looking for an argument?

Even beyond that, I don't understand the propensity to cater to iPhone users as if they were royalty, and the waste of programmer keystrokes to do it! :P

This would also be helpful for BlackBerry users, or anybody using an on-line device. It's just like a bit of server space to have at your disposal for a short period of time. I can see using this with my BlackBerry/CacheBerry combination.

I use CacheBerry for my BlackBerry so this feature does not fo anything for me. I manage all my caches in GSAK and download directly to my Blackberry and can manage easily through CacheBerry.

Was anybody able to actually download a individual pq on his/her iPhone? I can´t see them in my iPhone App.

Sorry for the confusion. There is a slight lag between the web feature being released and an updated version of the app. It should be available in the next update.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it!

I'm kind of thinking along the same line as AZ. Why the wasted development time on proprietary software and not on a more open scheme? This update targets only iPhone and Touch users. Does nothing for any other user.

Seems like creating an API with use tied to a premium user account that is open to any software would be a better way to go. Folks could develop for whatever platform they choose, buy whatever platform they choose, cache with whatever platform they choose. Seems like the only time Groundspeak uses an open scheme is when they're not the ones that develop it. Wherigo is prime example. Well over a year waiting on a VGA version for the PPC player.

Oh, well. More of the same from Groundspeak.

oh, I was hoping it would be a way for us to create PQs to our own specifications...

caches by a username,

hidden within a polygon (one quadrant of a city, along a river route, etc.),

anything else you can do to massage caches in GSAK.

then bring it back to GSAK for updates

But since you asked...a GPX file is just a text file so any text editor (e.g. Notepad) can make changes to it. Does your computer not have a text editor?

Yes, surprisingly my computer DOES have a text editor! Thanks, Bill!

And, I can edit co-ordinates on my PDA and in my GPSr, is this not possible for the iPhone?

I don't understand why you're hanging around this thread since you've already said you have no use for this new feature. Just looking for an argument?

Morbid curiosity, I guess.

Yet another feature for iCaching? Do that many more people benefit from this than would benefit from the 'Friends List' actually doing something? Are people really using iPhones more than regular GPS units to cache? Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all, just wish we'd see some more broad based features coming out rather than these with a somewhat narrower usability.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

Why the wasted development time on proprietary software and not on a more open scheme? This update targets only iPhone and Touch users. Does nothing for any other user.

Oh, well. More of the same from Groundspeak.

Well, if adding new geocachers to the fold is positive then it is a positive development for all of us. It would be interesting to find out how many people have been introduced to geocaching from the iPhone app (and the new lite version should help even more). These people then become premium members so they can use the pocket queries with the app -- all in all I bet gc.com comes out way ahead in creating this app.

When the android has the installed base near the current iPhone base then I am sure an app will be developed to exploit that market too.

The iPhone app is a great tool to have when geocaching. I have used it several times to check for caches in the area. I wouldn't recommend using the iPhone as a primary GPS in the bush for caching but it is nice to be able to easily find nearby caches.

The ability to download the PQ's is an added bonus.

A few weeks ago the Groundspeak app was one of the highest grossing app on iTunes. So it is obviously attracting attention.

I hope this is a step in the right direction for everyone and not just the iPhone users. I have a new android phone and this being a somewhat geeky sport I see that platform gaining much more geocaching users, in the short and long term. And with the android being offered on every other carrier before the end of the year it is sure to have a major increase in users. Of course I don't understand how this feature could not be accomplished in other ways as stated in earlier posts.