Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

Lost & Found

The full Lost & Found companion site is live! Visit the site to watch videos (more added each week) and share your own geocaching story with the community. You can also nominate logs written by other geocachers by visiting the log on the cache page and clicking "Nominate this log as a Lost & Found story".

Official Blog of Geocaching.com

The new blog, Latitude 47, is now live and features regular content about geocaching and geocaching-related news. Check it out and be sure to vote in the weekly caption contest to win a barely-coveted geocaching prize!

Trackables Collection

Has the list of Trackables you are "holding" grown out of control? For those of you with a collection of geocoins or mileage-tracker bugs we have added a new virtual collection to your profile. More information can be found in the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

Language Translations

This one is exciting for us. For the first time we are able to offer site translation in 5 major languages; including German, French, Portuguese, Czech and Swedish. This is a work in progress, so not all text and navigation has been translated at this time, although many of the key areas of the site have been. We will continue this localization effort until all areas of the site have been translated in these languages, as well as add entirely new language options down the road. You can select a language preference in your profile and in the footer on every page of the site. Many thanks to the geocachers who contributed their time and knowledge to this effort!

And now the release notes...

New Features

15320: Forgot password tool for users

Modified the way we deal with forgotten passwords - now sending an email containing a link which allows users to create a new password

10300: Automated username changes

Now possible for users to change username without assistance one time

13764: Quick "like it" for geocaches

Added Facebook "Like" functionality to cache pages

16562: Event Booth page to view caches near you

Added basic search page to use at events showing caches near you and ability to email them to any address (http://www.geocaching.com/kiosk)

16593: Nav Button on Geocaching.com linking to Blog

Added link to blog in left nav

13725: Mark trackables as collectible

Added ability to virtually "collect" trackables

15925: Helpful Links Addition

Added tb-rescue.com to the User Generated Tools list at /links

16678: Localize - Create a New Cache page

Added translations for Deutsch, Français, Português, Čeština, Svenska - this is a work in progress

16673: Localize - Cache Details Page

Added translations for Deutsch, Français, Português, Čeština, Svenska - this is a work in progress

16674: Create Language section in Account Preferences

Added language options for Deutsch, Français, Português, Čeština, Svenska - this is a work in progress

16675: Localize - Log a Geocache page

16677: Localize - Hide and Seek a Cache page

17179: Localize Front Page

Added translations for Deutsch, Français, Português, Čeština, Svenska (Welcome to Geocaching text only) - this is a work in progress

16676: Localize - Nearest Cache Page

15741: Resources page link addition

Added bitdebris.com to Windows Application section of resources page

15717: Text added to new cache submission email

Added additional helpful instructions and links to knowledge base to cache submission notification email

16085: Add current server time to Pocket Query list

Now displaying current server time on PQ list and PQ downloads list to aid in scheduling delivery

11026: Using Icons Instead of Descriptive Text for Logs

Now displaying Trackables type icon instead of text (Ex. Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin) in recent activity list on /track and Trackables log detail pages

Bug Fixes

14619: Checking the "exclude finds and hides" box on Advanced Search with Postal Code does no exclusion

Fixed

15973: Coordinates on Archived Cache Pages Can Be Edited By Cache Owner

Archived cache coords may not be edited without the aid of a volunteer reviewer

16941: Cache Details Page Disclaimer Text change

Clarified wording for disclaimer notification on cache pages

16713: Pocket Query consistently not available for download after generation

Removed ability to delete My Finds PQ to insure it is always available

16369: 500 error for Change Device

Fixed error rec'd when changing GPS device in profile

16444: Events With 10 Years! Icon Applied Do Not Appear In PQ

Fixed

14685: Cache owner name with double dashes ("--") causes commenting out of cache details page

Fixed

16035: The GPS images dont show up when trying to add a GPS device on IE

Fixed

15661: User Notification Missing - Unpublished Inactive Cache Pages

Updated red warning text displayed to user when cache is unpublished

15658: Converting field note to log doesn't preserve time zone

Now converting from UTC to user local time for display on the log creation screen

17109: Text Change: Magellan Send to GPS update

Added information to /fieldnotes.aspx and instructions to tab at uploadfieldnotes.aspx for Magellan GC

14565: Javascript error when accessing cache details page when not logged in or logged in as basic user

Fixed javascript error in IE

16438: 10 Years cache type needs to be included in Local Geocaching Page

10 Years! cache types now show in results when searching for events

16878: Text change in English .txt stash note

Changed "it's" to "its". Internet now .0000001% more better grammary

14307: Log origins need to show both Province or State and Country

Changed trackable and cache logs to display both region and country (Ex. Northern Territory, Australia)

16919: Trackable item shows no options in "Type of Log" dropdown when logging

Fixed error with certain trackables not showing log type options

11263: Allow armed forces addresses for membership creation

Added option to select AA (Armed Forces Americas), AE (Armed Forces Europe) or AP (Armed Forces Pacific) as the state value

14478: Edit bookmark list with empty name won't throw exceptions

Now properly displays an error

16549: Remove Twitter Credentials when they no longer function

When Textmarks fails to send a tweet for a user due to a password change, the Twitter account is removed from the user's account.

16075: Trackable Item Reference Page Text Change

Modified help text linking to FAQ on trackables detail pages

13329: Need to specify cache name not just waypoint in email that goes out with TBs

Modified protocol for trackable notifications when a cache is archived. No longer posting a note to the trackable page although we are still notifying the owner via email

14661: Change login widget to "Your Profile"

Fixed

15644: Calling trackables "collectibles" on the public profile

Reverted back to "trackables"

13260: Bookmark Length Cookie not holding

Selecting 50 > 100 > etc. bookmarks to display in a list now sticking

14648: Remove inaccurate text from cache page

Removed text "Cache find counts are based on the last time the page generated" as the statement is no longer accurate

14645: No help text appears when hovering over attribute images on cache details page

Added hover text to cache page attributes

14737: Attempts to upload image to new log on benchmark results in "Can't upload images to locked cache" error

Fixed issue preventing image upload to certain benchmarks

16543: Geocoin Page - Add Manufacturer/Reseller

Added frabert.de to distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

16894: Text changes needed at guidelines.aspx

Clarified Earthcache guidelines by removing instructions to submit through the GSA website (submit as typical cache now)

13180: Modify cache archive notification for trackables

Discontinued the posting of a note to the trackable page when a cache containing it is archived, sending email notification to trackable owner now instead

13046: Japanese prefecture missing

Added Akita prefecture to Japan regional dropdown

15972: Trackable Item Search: Include Name for unactivated coins

When searching for an unactivated Geocoin the series name is displayed (Ex. Volunteer Geocoin)

16926: Simma down disclaimer on cache pages

Restyled disclaimer notice on cache pages to appear less urgent

8895: Bad link on trackable search with "unknown" TBs

De-linked the world "unknown" in trackable search results since it was not linking anywhere

15388: Hover text for cache icons on search page

Added hover text to icons on nearest.aspx

14494: Report a New Cache page - Show on Map button doesn't work

Fixed

16248: HTML error on pocket query list

"Run once and delete" PQ names no longer poorly displayed in PQ list

2537: TB activation problem using ampersand in title

Fixed

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

15711: On EarthCaches, there is no Owner Maintenance log type available.

Added Owner Maintenance log type to EC's

16257: Travelbug KML has bad attribute for Polyline

Fixed

16352: Setting Trackable item to unknown posting a note instead of the correct log

Marking a trackable as "missing" will now post the correct drop type log instead of a note

16457: Testimonials rotate too quickly on membership comparison page

Halved the rotation speed of testimonials

17140: Shop Groundspeak: New Distributor

Added jestyap.com to distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

16614: Shop Groundspeak: Update Distributor Link

Updated URL to aboveandbeyond.co.uk in distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

16279: Karttapaikka.fi topographic maps link no longer works

Modified URL construction on Finnish caches to display the correct map on karttapaikka.fi

16152: Hide My Finds and Caches checkboxes on maps do not have clickable labels

fixed

17150: Shop Groundspeak: distributor update

Updated name for dimaoutdoor.nl in distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

12065: Add checkmark to cache page if you have found it

Checkmark icon now displayed next to "log this cache" link on caches you have found

17198: Shop Groundspeak: New Distributor

Added cachingtime.com to distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

15977: Selecting Get Caches with an empty search returns you a 500 Error

Fixed 500 error on local/default.aspx search page

14751: track/geocoin.aspx - Icon overlaps trackable name in details section

fixed

16378: State and Country should be displayed the same everywhere

All pages now show countries and states the same way when the function is called

16141: When clicking Automatically Refresh Map to off, don't trigger a refresh

Only refreshing the map when toggling refresh ON

16144: Change Trackable type to "it" on log pages

Trackables detail page more readable when referring to "it" instead of the trackable name

16114: "Log a benchmark" option should not appear for a Benchmark that is not listed. It results in an exception

Removed "Log this Benchmark" to page when benchmark does not exist

16596: Category details page continues to cache with old data when category is edited

Category edits now appear immediately upon saving

16331: Strikeouts for archived caches do not show when printing

Print version of caches list (Ex. posted by user list) now displays red strikeout

16299: Geocaching.com homepage text change

Increased estimate of total worldwide geocachers to "4-5 million"

16719: Instructions on "Hiding Your First Geocache" page incorrect

Clarified instructions for finding the downloadable cache note

16665: Incorrect German in Downloadable Cache Note

Updated misspeelings in German cache note

15414: Site E-mail preview incorrectly formatted

Paragraph breaks no longer removed from post-email preview

16618: Shop Groundspeak: Add Distributor

Added geobolt.hu to distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

14512: Remove instances of seperate in favor of separate

For obvious reasons

16162: Shop Groundspeak: Update Distributor Entry

Added cache-kontor.de to distributors list on Shop Groundspeak

17199: Update footer links in master pages

Now consistently displaying footer links

14703: Switch order of terrain and difficult rating selection on Pocket Query form

Now consistently displaying difficulty above terrain across the site

15941: Username causes cache page navigation to disappear in FF 3.6.2

Usernames with double dashes no longer break nav

14486: PQ country list has invalid country

Removed "unknown" from country list

8969: how to add pictures to own User Gallery.

Included instructions and link on profile gallery tab for adding a photo to a cache log

9271: Pocket Query results viewable in Google Maps

Added "Map It" link to PQ preview results

Edited by OpinioNate

About translations:

We have been using a really cool site called Web Translate It for our translations. If you would like to help translate the site in your language you can send us an email to contact@geocaching.com indicating your willingness to join the effort. We would prefer native [yourlanguage] speakers and will accept even Swahili if you think geocachers will benefit from a translation in that language. Please only contact us if this is something you'll be able to commit a fair amount of time to. Thanks!

Now converting from UTC to user local time for display on the log creation screen

O Frabjous Day!

Yes, I remember my promise of donuts :)

Edit : while on the subject of time zone, I'd like to point out that PDT is GMT -7 :unsure:

Edited by Chrysalides

O Frabjous Day!

Yes, I remember my promise of donuts :)

Edit : while on the subject of time zone, I'd like to point out that PDT is GMT -7 :unsure:

Thanks. At least I got the PDT bit right for once.

Wow!

Very long list!

Trackables Collection

Has the list of Trackables you are "holding" grown out of control? For those of you with a collection of geocoins or mileage-tracker bugs we have added a new virtual collection to your profile. More information can be found in the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

Now, just read the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

I don't know about this having/letting 'other' cachers 'collect' TBs.

I understand very well the need to make yourself a 'collection' list, and move in/out your own TBs from this list.

I log every TB I have in my possession at the time I 'Found' a cache, aka 'dip', mine AND others, until I find a cache appropriate to 'drop'.

Having a 'Collection' may help others with large self-owned TB collection, as this new feature seems to be intended for.

BUT, this feature should NOT be available for any TBs owned by others!

Why do you want your own TBs to be collected by others?!

TBs that are not yours MUST always be listed in the holder's 'Inventory' list all the time, as a 'necessary reminder' that they have it.

TB are meant to travel from cache to cache, once released into the 'wild', NOT Collected!

Just my thought.

Hampsters are live & kicking!

Look forward to all the improvements!

~ Dr.MORO

Wow!

Very long list!

Trackables Collection

Now, just read the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

I don't know about this having/letting 'other' cachers 'collect' TBs.

I understand very well the need to make yourself a 'collection' list, and move in/out your own TBs from this list.

I log every TB I have in my possession at the time I 'Found' a cache, aka 'dip', mine AND others, until I find a cache appropriate to 'drop'.

Having a 'Collection' may help others with large self-owned TB collection, as this new feature seems to be intended for.

BUT, this feature should NOT be available for any TBs owned by others!

Why do you want your own TBs to be collected by others?!

TBs that are not yours MUST always be listed in the holder's 'Inventory' list all the time, as a 'necessary reminder' that they have it.

TB are meant to travel from cache to cache, once released into the 'wild', NOT Collected!

Just my thought.

~ Dr.MORO

Self-reply.

Forgot to mention.

By default, if the TB 'Status type' is 'Unknown' (The owner did not choose Collectible or Non-Collectible upon activation.), these items SHOULD NOT be collected by another players, and should be "Non-Collectible".

In all, there should be no 'Unknown' from the beginning, 'Non-Collectible' by default, and if there is a really large need, add 'Collectible' status.

But, again, I do not like the idea of another cacher 'collecting' my own TBs.

A concept very misleading.

Just my thought.

~ Dr.MORO

<snip>

Just my thought.

~ Dr.MORO

If you don't want your Trackable collected just set the status to "non-collectible". Doing so will remove it from a person's collection and place it in their inventory. Many times the owner of a series of geocoins mean for them to be collected.

BTW OpinioNate,

HOW LONG is the expected downtime?

Any goals to WHEN it will be back online?

It would be very helpful for all cacher to know this information.

Thanks again!

~ Dr.MORO

If there are no surprises we should be down for only around 15 minutes. We're ready to go now and are just waiting 5 minutes for 1pm.

I just read the 3.3. Trackable Collections article. I hope it's not true.

As written, it states that all the TB and Coin owners whose items are already traveling and who do nothing to "set the status" of their trackables in the next few days are granting carte blanc for those items to be collected by others. This cannot be right.

I just read the 3.3. Trackable Collections article. I hope it's not true.

As written, it states that all the TB and Coin owners whose items are already traveling and who do nothing to "set the status" of their trackables in the next few days are granting carte blanc for those items to be collected by others. This cannot be right.

The status is "Unknown" until the TB owner sets it. The owner has not explicitly said they want it to be collected, although until they make a decision one way or the other it can be.

However, if you want to discuss the how's and why's of the feature I'd ask you to please open a new thread. Since this is a big release I'd prefer to keep the discussion focused on technical aspects so I don't miss any bug reports. Thanks.

Edit: Highlighting that last line since it applies to other feature enhancements as well

Edited by OpinioNate

<snip>

Just my thought.

~ Dr.MORO

If you don't want your Trackable collected just set the status to "non-collectible". Doing so will remove it from a person's collection and place it in their inventory. Many times the owner of a series of geocoins mean for them to be collected.

Thanks for the quick response, Nate!

I understand the need for TB collectors. But, that should be ONLY for the TBs you own yourself. Never for TBs owned by others.

I just wanted to point out that "By Default", all TBs should be 'Status'-typed as 'NON-collectable', never 'Unknown'.

Many times the owner of a series of geocoins mean for them to be collected.

Really?! First time to hear such thing!

You mean, there are many TB owners out there that release their TBs into the wild, just to have them be "collected", not moved, by other cachers? How generous!

This is not about a new non-activated TB, distributed to other collectors who will activate & 'own' the TB, right? All about 'activated' TBs, correct?

Well, I'm just a tadpole, so I guess the GC & TB game world is way bigger than I can image!

Wow, nice long list of updates... I'd like to plug the treeclimb attribute again, for next rollout :)

Anyway, I agree - the default for any trackable should be non-collectible. Even if its status is 'Unknown', unknown should then not be collectible. From my experience, collectible geocoins are generally not activated, and given away at events, not activated and dropped in caches - which to me means its intent is to be moved from cache to cache.

Having all trackables as of this update be 'collectible' I think is really, really bad. I feel for people who may have hundreds of tbs out there who'd have to change the status of every single one...

Having all trackables as of this update be 'collectible' I think is really, really bad. I feel for people who may have hundreds of tbs out there who'd have to change the status of every single one...

I understand your argument - I just don't agree with it. However, I might be convinced if you would please just follow this instruction and stop talking about it here.

However, if you want to discuss the how's and why's of the feature I'd ask you to please open a new thread. Since this is a big release I'd prefer to keep the discussion focused on technical aspects so I don't miss any bug reports. Thanks.

I have opened a new topic for discussing Trackables collections here.

Edited by OpinioNate

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

I understand your argument - I just don't agree with it. However, I might be convinced if you would please just follow this instruction and stop talking about it here.

I am pretty worried that OpinioNate does not agree with it.

Too bad, he just doesn't get it.

AND, he doesn't want us to talk about it here.

Okay, as you wish, just started a new 'FIRE' here.

3.3. Trackable Collections: Pros & Cons

Yes Raine, TB & Geocoin ARE different, but don't they 'act' the same in GC.com, except for the icon?

Now, since GC.com is back up, I will start diving a bit.

Thanks anyways for all this to happen!

Lovely Hampsters!

~ Dr.MORO

Seems like a bug:

i can move TBs from Trackables Inventory to "Trackables Collection" and back --> works. cool!

But if i use the checkbox in the TB details page this seems to have no impact

an example is TB3J0HC. it is marked as "Make this Trackable collectible" on TBs detail page but in fact it is in the "Trackables Inventory"

rds,

sascha

Edited by tb-run.com

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Thanks all else looks good funny seeing an add for Lost and Found above Logs.

Wanted to check to see if the bug where the degree symbol appears in the input box has now been fixed when trying to edit co-ordinates for an existing waypoint but when I click on Edit on an existing waypoint on any of my listed caches, I now get a "404 - File or directory not found" error. Can some see if they can reproduce this error. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3.

and you can't click on the map to see the other caches around the one you are viewing or satellite views....instead you have to click the link to the left...

Edit...because I found the link... :)

Edited by Bosn Ski

-Raine

Glad to hear this is coming back. That's the primary way I planned my caching trips. Hopefully you can solve the issues soon. I may just take a break until then.

Wanted to check to see if the bug where the degree symbol appears in the input box has now been fixed when trying to edit co-ordinates for an existing waypoint but when I click on Edit on an existing waypoint on any of my listed caches, I now get a "404 - File or directory not found" error. Can some see if they can reproduce this error. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3.

At the risk of reigniting rumors that we hate greasemonkey scripts and baseball/apple pie, I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is a script you installed.

Edit: Just tested - this is something new. I'll take care of it.

Edited by OpinioNate

hi, the one thing ive noticed that i dont like at all, is the friends list no longer displays the number of caches people have found, it now has location instead so to view how many caches your mate have got u now have to click on them and open up there profile, i used to like just checking my firend list to see who had been caching recently and how many that were now on.

I "liked" one of my own caches ( a 10 years! event) just to see what happened... on my facebook page I get "Rob likes Error Occurred." The like option worked find for someone else's cache.

I got the same issue when I 'liked' GC29JDW, which is a member's only unknown cache.

On a trakable page, the "Tracking History (6669mi)" line the mileage updates but on the list(the log section) below the mileage between placement logs does not.

Is this broken now?

I tried to 'recalculate mileage' and it use to then show up but doesn't now.

I "liked" one of my own caches ( a 10 years! event) just to see what happened... on my facebook page I get "Rob likes Error Occurred." The like option worked find for someone else's cache.

I got the same issue when I 'liked' GC29JDW, which is a member's only unknown cache.

It seems Facebook needs a Premium Membership. We're opening a bug for it. Thank you.

On a trakable page, the "Tracking History (6669mi)" line the mileage updates but on the list(the log section) below the mileage between placement logs does not.

Is this broken now?

We do some caching here to reduce calls to the database. Give it a bit and let us know if you still don't see it.

ok, so i edited the one personal geocoin i have and marked it as collectible. now how on earth do i move it to my collection, out of my inventory? there's nothing in the dropdown menu "actions".

Is this broken now?

We do some caching here to reduce calls to the database. Give it a bit and let us know if you still don't see it.

OK, thanks. Will check back later.

ok, so i edited the one personal geocoin i have and marked it as collectible. now how on earth do i move it to my collection, out of my inventory? there's nothing in the dropdown menu "actions".

Visit your inventory and do it there:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/inventory.aspx

We'll have to add a feature to allow you to move it from the Trackable details page so other people aren't confused.

-Raine

Can't you put it back the way it was until you can get it right? I'm done caching until it gets fixed. BTW bigger isn't better.. takes more ink and all we need there is a small area. Big maps are available from the link to the left if they are necessary.

We'll have to add a feature to allow you to move it from the Trackable details page so other people aren't confused.

ahhhh... i was mistakenly using the "trackable items" link on the profile. that explains.

ahhhh... i was mistakenly using the "trackable items" link on the profile. that explains.

hmm... it seems that this action doesn't send out an email to the owner of the TB/GC. it may be important to know when somebody else moves your own TB/GC to their collection!

hmm... it seems that this action doesn't send out an email to the owner of the TB/GC. it may be important to know when somebody else moves your own TB/GC to their collection!

pppps: and it looks like "mark as missing" actions don't send emails out any more either. maybe the email system is generally borken?

Not sure if I would label this as a bug fix. I used the find counts on the "my friends" page a lot to check if they recently did some caching. You removed one of the few benefits of the friends functionality.

So, grabbing a trackable from someone and placing it into a cache works as badly as before? Unless the new logs are fixed but the old ones stay incorrect? I'm talking about the case when A grabs a trackable from B and places it into cache Z, the logs read from oldest to newest: "B grabbed it from Z", "A grabbed it from Z" and "A placed it into Z". This is such an elementary feature I'm out of words.

What? That's not a bug fix! It couldn't have been that badly off. Remove "Location" and "Title" but don't remove the only useful piece of information from the Friends page! Display it as "found approx. # caches" if it's incorrect.

Edited by ZeroOne