Bribing US To Transfer Our Caches To A Competing Site

In other news, the spineless moderator Trailtech banned my primary account for a whole year today for spreading the truth about their site on their forums. Little does he know I have about half a dozen sockpuppets. :laughing::anibad:

Too funny, since when Opie's site first started up the misfits there would rag on the moderators here for banning them for a few days or a week, and how much better it was over there since it was not moderated and censored. Then you tell it like it is (maybe a bit harshly) and you get a year off.

Funny how that works. :laughing:

In other news, our resident Opencaching spy Manville Possum Hunters has already reported back to headquarters about me being banned...

"Word up in the GC.com forums in the thread about Garmin bribing people for listings from A&T is that TrailTech banned his main account here for a year, so BOLO for a new member spewing hate about our site or messing with peer review."

I have to say, I have noted with only mild interest, that there seem to be several cachers who are buttering the bread on both sides.

Come here: sing praises about GC and bash OX

Go there: sing praises about OX and bash GC.

Some people have too much free time.:blink:

In other news, the spineless moderator Trailtech banned my primary account for a whole year today for spreading the truth about their site on their forums. Little does he know I have about half a dozen sockpuppets. :laughing::anibad:

Too funny, since when Opie's site first started up the misfits there would rag on the moderators here for banning them for a few days or a week, and how much better it was over there since it was not moderated and censored. Then you tell it like it is (maybe a bit harshly) and you get a year off.

In other news, our resident Opencaching spy Manville Possum Hunters has already reported back to headquarters about me being banned...

"Word up in the GC.com forums in the thread about Garmin bribing people for listings from A&T is that TrailTech banned his main account here for a year, so BOLO for a new member spewing hate about our site or messing with peer review."

I don't know if you are in love with MPH or have a strong dislike for him. You both bicker like two lovers. I just don't see your issue with Garmin. It's some of the members there that have rejected your affection. I have viewed MPH's account here and there and I think that he just enjoys hiding geocaches. Maybe he is hiding something else, but he seems to just be a family man that geocaches with his kids. Maybe you hate possums? I just don't understand you.

Sorry that I haven't much free time to notice this thread.

I love Garmin products but I don't care much for their cache site. Nothing personal, just get the stats I want from gc.com plus listings. PTs? nah, no interest. Got enough going on with TBs to worry about collectables.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have to say, I have noted with only mild interest, that there seem to be several cachers who are buttering the bread on both sides.

You've noticed that, as well? I thought it was just my imagination. :huh:

They are obviously double agents working for the letterboxing site. :rolleyes:

Well, I for one think that my reason for bashing them (and note, I'm not the OP) is totally legitimate and justified; the clueless use of the Opencaching name, the lies to cover up their cluelessness, and ultimately it's effect on the long established Opencaching network.

Either that, or I have too much free time on my hands. :anicute:

Well, I for one think that my reason for bashing them (and note, I'm not the OP) is totally legitimate and justified; the clueless use of the Opencaching name, the lies to cover up their cluelessness, and ultimately it's effect on the long established Opencaching network.

Either that, or I have too much free time on my hands. :anicute:

I agree the poisonous guy to the West. I am still surprised they chose that name - they instantly alienated a large group of people who should have been their main target. If their real goal was to provide a free and open (open is a terrible name, as it means nothing) site, they would have worked with the real opencaching groups to promote and build it. Competition is good - too much competition though splinters and branches the community, which is bad. I have no desire to go to multiple sites to go find, log and hide geocaches.

If they really wanted to generate interest they should have called their site Virtual Caching. com and listed only virtuals. Now that would get them going in a big hurry.

Now that is an excellent idea for a new website considering the popularity of Virtual caches and shouldn't bother GS as they have no interest in supporting virtuals.

If they really wanted to generate interest they should have called their site Virtual Caching. com and listed only virtuals. Now that would get them going in a big hurry.

Now that is an excellent idea for a new website considering the popularity of Virtual caches and shouldn't bother GS as they have no interest in supporting virtuals.

I was actually poking a little fun at all things geocaching, tongue in cheek like because I love the virtual rants that run through here like a fever every so often, but it is worthy of someone picking up on it. I would hope that someone would push the virtuals, as I enjoy them greatly. As to the differences in the sites, this one has it all over the other, I can't even bring myself to begin to use their site.

Also the people I became friendly with through caching were all through this site and this community, We had events and group hikes and CITO and they all came through Groundspeak. And we connect through this site, Open caching was slow to realize that , but they seem to be picking up on it now --actually asking their ambassadors to host events. They should have embraced geocaching culture, before running their site up the flag pole. Realizing of course that neither site has anything to do with geocaching, they are only website developers and website businesses.

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." <_<

Shameful.

Shameful?

They, presumably, are setting this up, paying for it etc... yes? Why not advertise? I'm sure people are smart enough to realise that other GPS units are available (I'd argue, of course, that the minimum you need is a device which can access the website; I rarely use any form of GPS unit...)

Heck, I get advertising here all the time. Nothing wrong with that either.

Because its a lie? You don't need a Garmin GPS to geocache. I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe geocachers that don't realize yet that it isn't just a Garmin thing.

I don't see a problem with them saying bring your caches to us and use our products, if people want to do that it's the players choice. Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

If Garmin actually picked and chose worthy and unique caches that are worth finding and made thier own app for finding them I would buy one. I hate to say it but 99 out of a hundred hides isn't worth finding if you are not into the "numbers" game.

But that is NOT what they said. They said that you needed a GARMIN brand GPS if you wanted to geocache. That is not even one little bit true.

As to your second paragraph... Garmin doesn't pick the caches any more than Groundspeak does. Its all about the members in both cases.

I'm sure you get upset when you buy Nestle chocolate chips to make cookies, and the recipe states that you need to use a brand of flour that's owned by the parent company.

I don't see a difference.

As far as competing sites, I've looked at them. Nothing special. THere's a few caches here, but they are all cross listed, so I never signed up for them. Geocaching.com is just so far ahead....

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." <_<

Shameful.

Shameful?

They, presumably, are setting this up, paying for it etc... yes? Why not advertise? I'm sure people are smart enough to realise that other GPS units are available (I'd argue, of course, that the minimum you need is a device which can access the website; I rarely use any form of GPS unit...)

Heck, I get advertising here all the time. Nothing wrong with that either.

Because its a lie? You don't need a Garmin GPS to geocache. I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe geocachers that don't realize yet that it isn't just a Garmin thing.

I don't see a problem with them saying bring your caches to us and use our products, if people want to do that it's the players choice. Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

If Garmin actually picked and chose worthy and unique caches that are worth finding and made thier own app for finding them I would buy one. I hate to say it but 99 out of a hundred hides isn't worth finding if you are not into the "numbers" game.

But that is NOT what they said. They said that you needed a GARMIN brand GPS if you wanted to geocache. That is not even one little bit true.

As to your second paragraph... Garmin doesn't pick the caches any more than Groundspeak does. Its all about the members in both cases.

I'm sure you get upset when you buy Nestle chocolate chips to make cookies, and the recipe states that you need to use a brand of flour that's owned by the parent company.

I don't see a difference.

As far as competing sites, I've looked at them. Nothing special. THere's a few caches here, but they are all cross listed, so I never signed up for them. Geocaching.com is just so far ahead....

Actually, yes. I'm not sure I'd use the word "upset", but I do find those references to brand name superfluous.

At least they got their act together to offer pathtags instead of the travel bugs they used to offer - which could only be tracked on Groundspeak's website.

Frankly I'm surprised they keep pumping so much money into their copycat website. I thought they'd have given up by now, considering how little original content they generate and the high number of GC caches that are archived here but not removed off their listings.

At least they got their act together to offer pathtags instead of the travel bugs they used to offer - which could only be tracked on Groundspeak's website.

Frankly I'm surprised they keep pumping so much money into their copycat website. I thought they'd have given up by now, considering how little original content they generate and the high number of GC caches that are archived here but not removed off their listings.

I see the site is still in Beta mode <cough!>

Do their OX ads still show GC.com caches displayed on the GPS units? That was hilarious.

I've been curious and I've been reading a bit more over there... I don't get why folks from here need to troll over there.:mellow:

It reminds me a little of Jomorac5's old geocaching sandbox forum. Anyone remember that train wreck of a forum? Folks from here are showing their true colors over on OX like on Dan's old site. I would never stoop so low to troll because I disagree with what they are doing. I would just quit and leave them to it as I did at TC.com.

Now the trolling on OX is really nothing compared to what I saw Groundspeak volunteers and others saying on the old sandbox forum. I never posted a word there except to exchange PMs with Dan. I wasn't going to lower myself into that pit. :rolleyes:

I would quit caching if I caught myself needing to spread negativity as I've seen from members here over there. I don't get it and I don't want to be enlightened as to your motivations. I'm clearly just sayin'. <_<

Do their OX ads still show GC.com caches displayed on the GPS units? That was hilarious.

That was one of those LOL moments, when you really did LOL instead of just typing it. What sort of idiot approved that ad? Good to see that their advertised celebrity cachers are using geocaching.com though.

They have an ad in FTF magazine that I got as a freebie at GWX. I've been meaning to take a magnified view of it to see what they show.

That was one of those LOL moments, when you really did LOL instead of just typing it. What sort of idiot approved that ad? Good to see that their advertised celebrity cachers are using geocaching.com though.

They have an ad in FTF magazine that I got as a freebie at GWX. I've been meaning to take a magnified view of it to see what they show.

I have scanned and posted two Garmincaching ads to Twitter that appeared in Outside Magazine. I haven't seen one in like a year, by the way. But sure enough, here's one of them, and the GPS has a GC.com listing on the screen (as evidenced by it having a "GC number". I don't feel like hosting it somewhere else though, so here's just the link on TwitPic.com: http://twitpic.com/504dol/full

I have scanned and posted two Garmincaching ads to Twitter that appeared in Outside Magazine. I haven't seen one in like a year, by the way. But sure enough, here's one of them, and the GPS has a GC.com listing on the screen (as evidenced by it having a "GC number". I don't feel like hosting it somewhere else though, so here's just the link on TwitPic.com: http://twitpic.com/504dol/full

The cache: GCP0JV Patriot's Pride

The cache: GCP0JV Patriot's Pride

Interesting. I actually have some eye problems right now, and couldn't make that out on the GPS screen. Interesting username. What City is Garmin Headquarters in? And someone from that City who works in GIS, would be highly likely to work at Garmin. I'll bet it's an employee. Next time, use his Opencaching.com cache page. :D

The ad in FTF magazine was from Jan/Feb 2012, so relatively recently. A bit different ad than the previous one linked to.

Guess what? The Garmin GPS on the opencaching.com advertisement is proudly displaying the same cache, with the geocaching.com GC#.

Brilliant! When push comes to shove, Opie knows where he should go to go geocaching.

I am still surprised they chose that name - they instantly alienated a large group of people who should have been their main target. If their real goal was to provide a free and open (open is a terrible name, as it means nothing) site, they would have worked with the real opencaching groups to promote and build it.

I actually disagree with the latter part; as a fan of opensource and etc. I think it's a great and positive name.

But... it was already being used by other people. You're completely right about the alienation. I never quite understood that move.

I am still surprised they chose that name - they instantly alienated a large group of people who should have been their main target. If their real goal was to provide a free and open (open is a terrible name, as it means nothing) site, they would have worked with the real opencaching groups to promote and build it.

I actually disagree with the latter part; as a fan of opensource and etc. I think it's a great and positive name.

But... it was already being used by other people. You're completely right about the alienation. I never quite understood that move.

I'm also a fan of open source ... but I think it means nothing here because as far as I can tell, opencaching.com isn't open source. I could be wrong though.

I'm also a fan of open source ... but I think it means nothing here because as far as I can tell, opencaching.com isn't open source. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I just meant as a term that has a positive vibe, I think 'open' is cool. I respond positively to it anyway.

But to your main point, none of that changes the fact that someone else was using it though.

Yeah, I just meant as a term that has a positive vibe, I think 'open' is cool. I respond positively to it anyway.

But to your main point, none of that changes the fact that someone else was using it though.

We could just call the choice of the name clueless beyond all comprehension. But that's OK, we're Garmin, and we'll just blatantly lie about it through our teeth, and hope that Mr. Yuck doesn't notice. Sorry, I'm afraid he did. :laughing:

The ad in FTF magazine was from Jan/Feb 2012, so relatively recently. A bit different ad than the previous one linked to.

Guess what? The Garmin GPS on the opencaching.com advertisement is proudly displaying the same cache, with the geocaching.com GC#.

Brilliant! When push comes to shove, Opie knows where he should go to go geocaching.

After the photo was taken the cache was muggled. It is now a 2 part multi listed as a traditional. Olathe Kansas is the HQ of Garmin, so I suspect it belongs to the same guy who created the ad promoting their competitor's product.

The bribery continues...they are still giving away the tags for each five caches, but now they are giving away entries for each cache placed with them for a chance to win a new eTrex 30 for each week of August. Things must be really tough for them. It's actually kind of sad that they have to resort to this to gain caches and members.

The bribery continues...they are still giving away the tags for each five caches, but now they are giving away entries for each cache placed with them for a chance to win a new eTrex 30 for each week of August. Things must be really tough for them. It's actually kind of sad that they have to resort to this to gain caches and members.

As soon as they start giving out new GPS receivers for each and every new cache, I'm all over it! :lol:

As long as they only do relisted caches they will continue to be largely irrelevant. If they can start getting a body of exclusive caches then they might start to be noticed and used. It will be a long hard slog.

I'm almost positive they gave away entries for Etrex's last year too. Dang, that thing has been around 2 years almost?

Your "friend" Manny, as you call him, has been spotted around here lately, perhaps he knows for sure. But I think they did it with the Etrex's last August too.

Think about it. Who is going to make a commitment to maintain 5 caches for a pathtag?

Again amusing, when you are already doing it for nothing! <_<:unsure:

I'm doing it for nothing on a much more viable database that is maintained by people I know and like (for the most part) even if I don't have 100% satisfaction with Groundspeak or agree with all of its decisions as a guiding entity.

Not sure how you're defining viable, but personally I create and maintain caches and list them on the GS site to provide some entertainment for other geocachers and enjoying reading the logs have take the time to describe their experience. I have actually cross listed a couple of caches on that other site and I think I've had one find in about two years from that site. In terms of the benefits of cache ownership it's absurd to compare the benefits one receives from the GS site and that other site simply because caches listed on that other site are essentially not producing any finds.

In terms of the benefits of cache ownership it's absurd to compare the benefits one receives from the GS site and that other site simply because caches listed on that other site are essentially not producing any finds.

I'm willing to bet that the other sites produces finds. Well, maybe a single find for any OX unique cache as the FTF is a draw. After that, crickets. You see this on navicache as well as most NC unique caches end up with exactly 1 find, even after many years.

I'm almost positive they gave away entries for Etrex's last year too. Dang, that thing has been around 2 years almost?

Your "friend" Manny, as you call him, has been spotted around here lately, perhaps he knows for sure. But I think they did it with the Etrex's last August too.

Please don't hold it against me because I use the other site too. I don't agree with most of the stuff on that site, but I list geocaches there and enter contests. Garmin has been nice to me with free hats, swag, and those other things that I collect that we can't talk about here. Sure, lot's of members here cross list caches just to enter the contests, but they don't stick around over there. I'm just one that does. :anicute: Just keep in mind that I support this site with my membership fees as a PM, and I enjoy Waymarking. :)

Please don't hold it against me because I use the other site too. I don't agree with most of the stuff on that site, but I list geocaches there and enter contests. Garmin has been nice to me with free hats, swag, and those other things that I collect that we can't talk about here. Sure, lot's of members here cross list caches just to enter the contests, but they don't stick around over there. I'm just one that does. :anicute: Just keep in mind that I support this site with my membership fees as a PM, and I enjoy Waymarking. :)

You've got me all wrong. I just think it's funny him being the resident instigator over there, and he calls you Manny. :laughing: And that other guy Cavy. :blink: The forums are very interesting over there. I only have one career post, after trying out the WindowsPhone App some European guy wrote and started a thread about, and giving him a quick review. But you'd better believe I read them at least once a week. Far too entertaining not to.

You've got me all wrong. I just think it's funny him being the resident instigator over there, and he calls you Manny. :laughing: And that other guy Cavy. :blink: The forums are very interesting over there. I only have one career post, after trying out the WindowsPhone App some European guy wrote and started a thread about, and giving him a quick review. But you'd better believe I read them at least once a week. Far too entertaining not to.

Well, I am some sort of a magnet. :anicute: What sort I won't say. :laughing:

if you give me a 100$ pr cache I own, I gladly transfer or copy them to any site of your choise,

as long as I can keep them at Groundspeak too :-)

then I get a free summer vacation, that will be nice.

why a war ?

if any web page or site or company, can make people go out in the real world and play

I will just be happy.

we, the world, need a way to make it fun and attractive to get a little bit of fresh air and exercise,

and eat a bit less junk food too :-)

C'mon A&T. Hit Manny with a "You've been hitting the Moonshine again, Manny" post. :ph34r:

if you give me a 100$ pr cache I own, I gladly transfer or copy them to any site of your choise,

as long as I can keep them at Groundspeak too :-)

then I get a free summer vacation, that will be nice.

why a war ?

if any web page or site or company, can make people go out in the real world and play

I will just be happy.

we, the world, need a way to make it fun and attractive to get a little bit of fresh air and exercise,

and eat a bit less junk food too :-)

I do not believe the contests are open to European's; don't quote me on that though.

You'll have to clarify the combatants of the war. Groundspeak and Garmin, or those of us posters who are "anti-Opencaching.com", for lack of a better term. I've already stated my reason (which I feel is a good one), so I don't need to repeat it again.

A blog post by a Groundspeak reviewer from France, which is probably linked to on page 1 of the thread, speculates the probable reasons for the Groundspeak-Garmin rift.

EDIT: My Post #107 is where I give the link to the blog post, and people discuss the blog post in a few posts after that.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

"They" is a word used loosely here, as you are very active on the site, and seemingly bumped this thread to pimp the promotion. :rolleyes:

You guys are lucky that this thread hasn't been filed away in the same category as the QR game site threads are. :ph34r:

"They" is a word used loosely here, as you are very active on the site, and seemingly bumped this thread to pimp the promotion. :rolleyes:

You guys are lucky that this thread hasn't been filed away in the same category as the QR game site threads are. :ph34r:

Perhaps a certain PR person is on vacation...;-)

I am active on the site? :laughing: Jeez, man...I was banned for a year from there for posting the truth about that worthless place. You're looking in the wrong place if you're trying to find a supporter out of me. I am the farthest thing from it.

In terms of the benefits of cache ownership it's absurd to compare the benefits one receives from the GS site and that other site simply because caches listed on that other site are essentially not producing any finds.

I'm willing to bet that the other sites produces finds. Well, maybe a single find for any OX unique cache as the FTF is a draw. After that, crickets. You see this on navicache as well as most NC unique caches end up with exactly 1 find, even after many years.

I listed two caches there when the site was announced. Both are park n grabs in populated areas. Last I looked neither has had a find on it in the nearly two years of existence (I have to go there and check because they still don't have basic functions like cache owner notification of finds). There are a bunch of their caches listed around here because several prolific local cache owners cross listed some or all of their caches there. The only finds I see are from people who found the cache first here, then retro logged them on that site.

Most people don't know that A&T and I get along together. :blink: He got banned for a year on the other site...

I knew that site was populated mostly by people who have been banished from GC.com. What happens if that site bans you? They make you come here where there are only almost 2 million caches to choose from? Bad boy, go away, we shall punish you by making you play on geocaching.com. :laughing:

Edited by briansnat

I listed two caches there when the site was announced. Both are park n grabs in populated areas. Last I looked neither has had a find on it in the nearly two years of existence (I have to go there and check because they still don't have basic functions like cache owner notification of finds).

I could be wrong, but I think they did get cache owner notification of finds after about a year. Someone will have to verify though. If they still don't have it, that would be incredible. It's incredible enough they put out a Geocaching website without even close to the basic functionality of the horrific Navicache. Picture uploads? Email another player? Notification of finds on your caches? HTML (and pictures) on your cache pages? Believe it or don't, you can do that on Navicache. It just looks like a 1990's website, that's all. :lol: No one associated with the development of OX could have possibly known the first thing about Geocaching.

I listed two caches there when the site was announced. Both are park n grabs in populated areas. Last I looked neither has had a find on it in the nearly two years of existence (I have to go there and check because they still don't have basic functions like cache owner notification of finds).

I could be wrong, but I think they did get cache owner notification of finds after about a year. Someone will have to verify though. If they still don't have it, that would be incredible. It's incredible enough they put out a Geocaching website without even close to the basic functionality of the horrific Navicache. Picture uploads? Email another player? Notification of finds on your caches? HTML (and pictures) on your cache pages? Believe it or don't, you can do that on Navicache. It just looks like a 1990's website, that's all. :lol: No one associated with the development of OX could have possibly known the first thing about Geocaching.

About verification, I listed about 8 of my hides over there shortly after they got started. Went out to do a maintenance run on one of them, and saw a couple of sigs in the log that I didn't remember. Turns out they logged it through the OX. I didn't think to remember the dates, just thought it was people who don't log their finds. A couple of days later I got some Found It emails from the blue squirrel. So, yes they have notifications...I'm not sure the notifications are immediate.

Edited by JBnW