Which GPS for Wherigo's

Team Matsi

Until now I have used my android phone for Wherigo's and a Garmin Dakota 20 for all the other geocaches. I am getting tired of problems with the Wherigo's on my android so I am thinking of selling my Dakota 20 and buying a GPS which also works for Wherigo's. Beside the garmin oregon, are there other gps that support Wherigo?

I wouldn't bother basing a GPS purchase on the basis of Wherigo compatibility. A number of issues with the player renders some Cartridges unplayable. There are several smarthphone apps out there which appear to be much better anyway.

I disagree. Last weekend the Wherigo cartridges that came out only worked on the gps and not on android apps

I guess you could get a Monterra, but that still leaves you with the same Android app.

We're working to provide a more stable Wherigo app for Android, iOS, and Windows. No release date has been set yet, but you can read more about it or try to install the app yourself. This is tied into the whole future plan the Wherigo developer community (Wherigo Foundation) wants to pursue. We're trying to create a player app that is consistent across all devices and will later let you search for and download cartridges directly inside the app, no browser or file manager apps required. There are some challenges to this we have to overcome.

If I have my way with things, Wherigo will not be on GPS receivers. I ask you, please consider the problems with Wherigo remaining on a GPSr:

1) We'd have to depend upon the manufacturer for updates and bug fixes. When the manufacturer abandons the hardware, the software no longer receives updates. If we decide to build some new features into Wherigo, the old hardware won't be able to play cartridges. Staying with this aging hardware is like limiting your app's compatibility to the first generation iPhone that came out on the market.

2) We'd be dependent upon the manufacturer to implement properly the Wherigo spec. Let me tell you right now that did not go over well for the Garmin Oregon.

3) GPS receivers thus far (excluding the Monterra) tend to be devices disconnected from the Internet. That prevents Wherigo from having some really cool features: multi-player, cartridge search and download, and streaming video among others.

4) Would the GPSr have the audio codecs to play the audio files some people use? The Colorado and Oregon didn't.

If you have any other questions, please stop by the Wherigo Forum and ask them! You'll get a lot of helpful advice!

I wouldn't bother basing a GPS purchase on the basis of Wherigo compatibility. A number of issues with the player renders some Cartridges unplayable. There are several smarthphone apps out there which appear to be much better anyway.

I disagree. Last weekend the Wherigo cartridges that came out only worked on the gps and not on android apps

Did you download the correct cartridge format?

The WhereYouGo app states you need to download the "Pocket PC Device" format.

I've used WhereYouGo with great results.

Edited by BlackRose67

My only advice is read the logs first to see what people have used. I made 2 Wherigos so far and tested them on my Android. They worked great. However, someone tested on an iPhone for me and it was broken in a couple spots. I fixed that up and then I found that it is broken for people on a Garmin. I have no device to test that, so i just put on the listing that it doesn't work for Garmin and was still only tested on Android and iPhone. Even then it can be quirky, but it's also tough to tell when reported issues are due to user error.

So depending whatever it was tested on (assuming it was tested), it may not be working for other devices as there "seem to be" quirks with the app (or possibly the app used to make the cartridge) wherein it may work well for one device but not another.

That doesn't really answer your question, but it may help nonetheless with Wherigoing.