pocket query

AZjohn

Hi. Just received a pocket query that i want to transfer to my Oregon 650 GPS. If I "download" it comes up with a Zip file that I can't open without paying WinZip $30. If I "view results" and try select all i get a file type ( .loc) that windows won't recognize so I have to look at a bunch of possible options which try to sell me a bunch of software. How can i transfer the data without having to pay or ckuttering up w my PC with a bunch of diagnostic stuff I don't want?

Many thanks

...I "view results" and try select all i get a file type ( .loc) that windows won't recognize...

You shouldn't be getting a .loc file, unless you checked a box (near bottom of PQ submission page) requesting .loc files.

.loc files do not provide hints, descriptions, previous logs, etc. Only the geocache listing title, GC Code, and coordinates.

.gpx files are what you should be receiving -- to get the full cache description, last few logs and the hints.

B&R already spoke of unzipping. Many Windows machines will 'unzip' a file with a right-click of the mouse.

EDIT to add: Are you trying to download the "preview"?

If I "view results" and try select

If so, that is why you are looking at .loc files. It is NOT a PQ download.

The PQ download is the second tab located on the Your Pocket Queries page.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

many thanks to B & R and G-G for your advice. It finally turned out I had to uninstall Winzip as it kept "jumping on" the file as soon as it downloaded and telling me i had to pay etc. I then installed 7-zip and it worked fine the 500 downloaded GPX files are now safely ensconced in GPS memory.