What GPX files do I download?

Mama<3Bear

Normally, I leave a bit of info out...so let's see if I can give a complete picture of my question. I have a PC running Windows 8.1 and a Garmin Oregon 650. I am a premium member and have just set up my first pocket query (Find Cache along a route). I am now ready to download the file to my GPSr. I set up a folder on my desktop to store the downloaded file, which I have already done. I am now just going to click and drag the files into my Garmin Oregon 650. I am completely comfortable with this process.

Now, here's my question...when looking at the files to be downloaded, two GPX files appear. Both have the same number and name assigned. The files are both named 15222361 Mboro to Manch. One has a data size of 381kb the other has a data size of 6kb. Do I need to transfer both files? Does anyone know what the smaller file contains?

I had set up a pocket query before (not "find cache along a route") and only transferred the larger file and everything seemed to transfer and function properly.

I'm asking because I hate filling up my memory on my GPSr with files that aren't necessary. But, I also know that I am not as informed as I should be regarding pocket queries. So, I am looking to all of you for your direction.

Thanks!

Both!

The .wpts file has waypoints for the Additional Coordinates like Parking, Trail Head, Stages of a Multi-cache (if they are visible).

May be worth a read > http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/paperless.html#gotinfo

On the page scrol down to " How to create a Pocket Query and transfer it into a Garmin GPS. Transferring the GPX file directly to the GPS without any other software." and click on the little compass to open the page.

:)

Just to reiterate, I am referring to my Garmin Oregon 650...When loading multiple pocket queries to my GPSr, will all individual caches from each pocket query get all mixed together or will I be able to choose caches to view by pocket query name? Or will I just need to use the sort function to try to separate out the caches. I don't mind searching for "near me now" but the pocket queries that have been set up as "caches along a route" won't be as easy to separate out. Thanks again!!!!

They get 'mixed together' and will show closest to you. (Or from your search point)

Be careful if you are using 'Old' PQs still on the GPS... Where 'most' new files will overwrite older files, it would seem the newer Garmins wont. And you could end up with a Temp Disabled or Archived cache still showing as Available.

Especially if you run a regular PQ for 'Caches I have Not Found' an Archived cache wont be in the PQ, but if it's in an old PQ on your GPS, will still show.

Best to Delete old PQ files, run and install new PQ, go caching!

:)

Great! That makes a lot of sense. Also, I found the link you supplied in your initial reply very helpful. Thank you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it! Now, once some of the snow starts to melt, I'll be able to get back out caching. Even winter friendly caches are not to be found right now! UGH!