Garmin 64S

Bob and Kath

My old, old Etrex has died and we're trying out a 64S and an Etrex 20. We're pretty basic cachers, have 10,000+ finds, have been using our old Etrexes to find the caches and iPhones to log them. Have used some maps on the phone when we've been on trails. We don't really use an arrow--we just look for the coordinates. I know, weird, but it has worked for us. We're really not looking for a big learning curve but if it would help out, we'd take the time. We travel a lot so maps are becoming more helpful. We like the size of the 64S better and the buttons but it's pricier. Looking for what people think, what sites to go to for maps, any info people can share. Thanks.

My old, old Etrex has died and we're trying out a 64S and an Etrex 20. We're pretty basic cachers, have 10,000+ finds, have been using our old Etrexes to find the caches and iPhones to log them. Have used some maps on the phone when we've been on trails. We don't really use an arrow--we just look for the coordinates. I know, weird, but it has worked for us. We're really not looking for a big learning curve but if it would help out, we'd take the time. We travel a lot so maps are becoming more helpful. We like the size of the 64S better and the buttons but it's pricier. Looking for what people think, what sites to go to for maps, any info people can share. Thanks.

You might call Garmin direct I did and got a Map 64st for 280.00 total with tax was 303.00 and they waived the shipping fee. if that's helps you make a better decision. since you have an old Garmin the y will give you up to a 20 percent discount.

Dion

You might call Garmin direct I did and got a Map 64st for 280.00 total with tax was 303.00 and they waived the shipping fee. if that's helps you make a better decision. since you have an old Garmin the y will give you up to a 20 percent discount.

Dion

Dion

Current retail store price of the 64s is $299. This is a terrific unit. Lots of memory for caches and maps. One free year of Birdseye satellite maps. You would have to discount the 62 series a lot lower to entice me to purchase a discontinued model.

As for the previous comparisons, the eTrex 20 does not have the three axis compass. They were looking at the 20 vs 64s, but I think the more appropriate comparison would be eTrex 30 vs 64s, since both have the compass.

I have owned both units and they are great choices.

Edited by JohnCNA

Have to admit, I'm leaning toward the 64S. The 20 seems pretty small.

I upgraded from the '30 to the 64s last year and couldn't be happier. The 30 was a GREAT unit, but I really loaded it down with lots of maps, custom overlay maps and trail overlay maps. It had no issues with screen redraws while driving or hiking, but panning the map more than a full screen width could take 10 seconds before it was done redrawing the screen. Zooming out a couple levels was the same. That got a little tedious at times. I passed the display at REI and played with the 64s for a couple minutes. When I saw how fast the screen redraws were, I was sold. Might not matter so much to someone else who isn't quite as 'map crazy' as I am, though. :D

And now for something completely off-topic. Are you the 'Bob and Kath' who used to live in Aurora or North Aurora, IL? If so, I have found a couple of your adopted-out caches. If not, sorry. If so, thanks.

Have to admit, I'm leaning toward the 64S. The 20 seems pretty small.

I upgraded from the '30 to the 64s last year and couldn't be happier. The 30 was a GREAT unit, but I really loaded it down with lots of maps, custom overlay maps and trail overlay maps. It had no issues with screen redraws while driving or hiking, but panning the map more than a full screen width could take 10 seconds before it was done redrawing the screen. Zooming out a couple levels was the same. That got a little tedious at times. I passed the display at REI and played with the 64s for a couple minutes. When I saw how fast the screen redraws were, I was sold. Might not matter so much to someone else who isn't quite as 'map crazy' as I am, though. :D

And now for something completely off-topic. Are you the 'Bob and Kath' who used to live in Aurora or North Aurora, IL? If so, I have found a couple of your adopted-out caches. If not, sorry. If so, thanks.