EC Classifications Listings

Dasindog

I am working on a cache challenge http://coord.info/GC2J533 that requires logging one EC in each of the listed classifications. To count for the challenge the caches must be listed on the ‘earthcache listings’ page: http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/earthcache.aspx

How are the EC listing classifications assigned to a cache? As an example, I have found GCZ8ZQ - Ape Cave http://coord.info/GCZ8ZQ which is a cave EC. You would think it would be listed in the ‘Cave/Karst Feature’ list but it is not. Is this because nobody has asked for it to be added to the list or is there some review process involved and this EC is failing some point?

Who owns the list? How do I contact them?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

It is the GSA that has the list. They don't have enough staff to update the list, so it only gets updated slowly as volunteers get to them. As I am one, I know that there are thousands that haven't been classified, and I only deal with the english language versions.

Understood. If the list is not being updated regularly, and nobody seems to be asking for or using the classification info, GSA might consider simplifying what they are asking the volunteers to do and just drop the classifications. Incomplete, and possibly inaccurate, data is usually worse than no-data. Volunteers are limited resources and should focus on what people actually need and what is important. BTW – thank you for being a volunteer.

If the list is important, perhaps you could ask the cache owners to determine the correct category at the time of submission. Maybe as another button to push, or in the Reviewer Note?

As I understood it, GSA was putting an end to classifications, but I think this idea is a really good idea. I'm updating my Earthcache, because our state has several challenges requiring similar type requirements to log.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I am also trying to find out more about the classification of earthcaches for a similar reason to the OP. It wasn't clear to me from the posts above, but someone mentioned that the classification system was "going away"? Is this the case? I couldn't tell much from the geocaching.org website, but then maybe I just missed something. Is the classification of earthcaches still a thing?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I am also trying to find out more about the classification of earthcaches for a similar reason to the OP. It wasn't clear to me from the posts above, but someone mentioned that the classification system was "going away"? Is this the case? I couldn't tell much from the geocaching.org website, but then maybe I just missed something. Is the classification of earthcaches still a thing?

Link for reference:

Earthcache.org

Go to Participate -> Classification Project in the menu options.

Looks like it's still a thing, although I'm not sure what's being done.