Rino 530HCx Review

I have a Rino 130 and 530. The first thing I noticed when I first powered on the 530HCx is that it took 30 seconds to acquire 9 satellites in my house, my 530 had been acquiring for 3 minutes and it only had 3 satellites. I have a 2GB Lexar chip and have added almost half the US (138 maps, 752mb) to the chip, unfortunately, I found out that the 530HCx doesn't like my Lexar 2GB MicroSD. Fortunately I also had a Kingston 1GB MicroSD that it did like. I hope Garmin gets a patch or firmware update that allows it to see my Lexar card. It regulary picks up 8 to 11 satellites.

Sitting in my house right now, 4 feet from a 2.5' wide x 5' tall window, my 530 has 4 satellites and my 530HCx has 8. 530 shows +/- 49' and the 530HCx shows +/- 9'.

I've played around a little bit with the City Navigator v8, and it seems pretty cool.

The 530 just lost satellite reception, meanwhile the 530HCx sstill has 7 satellites at +/- 11'. 530 had weak signal notice showing, but that went away and it now has 3 satellites +/- 40'.

Overall, I was real impressed with the 530 and I think I'm really gonna like the 530HCx.

So far I've been mostly impressed with the 530HCx features; however, I may have discovered a "bug" of sorts. MooseMaMa and I each have a 530HCx and on her's...if the Radio is turned off and the unit powered down, it will not power back up unless the battery pack is removed and reinstalled...a pain! If the Radio feature is turned on before powering down, then the unit will power back up normally. I've e-mailed Garmin and am awaiting a response...but thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has experienced this. Also, a Hard Reset might fix the "bug" if anyone knows the Hard Reset sequence for the 530HCx would you please post it?

Bill

So far I've been mostly impressed with the 530HCx features; however, I may have discovered a "bug" of sorts. MooseMaMa and I each have a 530HCx and on her's...if the Radio is turned off and the unit powered down, it will not power back up unless the battery pack is removed and reinstalled...a pain! If the Radio feature is turned on before powering down, then the unit will power back up normally. I've e-mailed Garmin and am awaiting a response...but thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has experienced this. Also, a Hard Reset might fix the "bug" if anyone knows the Hard Reset sequence for the 530HCx would you please post it?

Bill

I have been looking into the 530HCx for a while, and I think now I might buy it...

I own a rino 120 which has been great to me. and I bet I'd love the 530HCx even more. Not just for Geocaching but for my backpacking trips as well... Nothing beats having 2 of these units where you and your partner can break apart and look for different camping sites while keeping in contact.

pic.jpg

Edited by Madhatt

I only have one, but when my radio is turned off and then I turn off the unit, mine powers up fine. Haven't had to take the battery off.

Mike

Bill

Just curious, did Garmin add any new icons for the waypoints?

Just a note to answer jefro and to follow up on my previous post regarding the on/off/on power up problem. Jefro, I do not notice any new waypoint icons on the 530HCx....in fact, being used to the icons on my 60CS, there are many that are on the 60CS that do not appear on the 530HCx...and I don't see room or the capability for adding "custom icons" on the 530HCx either. I'm basing the no new icons on the fact that I only compared them to my 120 and 130...I don't know what the non-HCx versions of the 520 & 530 had. Does anyone know if it is possible to add custom icons to the 530HCx?

To stay on topic...I am happy to report that Garmin did respond to my e-mail about the problem of powering the 530HCx back up after turning it off while the radio was disabled. They said they were not aware of that problem, but suggested a "hard reset" (as I suspected). I did perform a hard reset and the power up problem has not raised its ugly head again.

I've "field tested" the unit extensively over the course of the past week and couldn't be more pleased. It acquires quickly, maintains a solid lock as advertised (even under heavy canopy or among tall buildings), battery life is adequate (I did purchase the additional AA battery pack just in case) radio reception is clear, and the 5W transmit power seems to have extended the range considerably. The face and side buttons have a soft touch and tactile feel, the screen is bright and easily readable, and I installed a SanDisk 1GB micro card and uploaded maps (both road and topo) to cover most of everything east of the Mississippi...with plenty of room left for custom POI's. AutoRouting works well. Menu selection is slightly different from what I'm used to, but it's not cumbersome and I'm getting familiar with it. In short...I'm very pleased with the unit.

Bill

I am new to the GPS world, and have a 530HCx. I really like it so far, except for the price. I didn't do enough research and paid 499.99 at GI Joe's. I thought this might be a good place to mention that there are a number of online stores selling them in the 330-350 range brand new in box (http://www.gosale.com/4937054/garmin-rino-530hcx-gps-2-way)or just google Rino 530HCx. Joes says they will refund some of my money if I print out the sites and bring them in. I just wanted to save anyone interested some time. . . (could buy the topo map with the saved money)

'2Wheel'in'

What is the Hard Reset sequence for the 530HCx?

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

Remember to first back up all your data from the RINO 530Hcx (Caches, Waypoints, POI's, etc), then....

With the unit powered off, press and hold PAGE + ENTER + POWER for 10 seconds, or until you receive a screen that reads, "Do you really want to erase all of your user data? Yes/No." Select YES and proceed through the startup screens.

Hope it cures whatever you're after.

Regards,

Bill

Hello maybe you can help me I am having the same issue regarding the on/off/on power up problem as you have stated. I have tried the hard reset and I still have the same issue.

Just a note to answer jefro and to follow up on my previous post regarding the on/off/on power up problem. Jefro, I do not notice any new waypoint icons on the 530HCx....in fact, being used to the icons on my 60CS, there are many that are on the 60CS that do not appear on the 530HCx...and I don't see room or the capability for adding "custom icons" on the 530HCx either. I'm basing the no new icons on the fact that I only compared them to my 120 and 130...I don't know what the non-HCx versions of the 520 & 530 had. Does anyone know if it is possible to add custom icons to the 530HCx?

To stay on topic...I am happy to report that Garmin did respond to my e-mail about the problem of powering the 530HCx back up after turning it off while the radio was disabled. They said they were not aware of that problem, but suggested a "hard reset" (as I suspected). I did perform a hard reset and the power up problem has not raised its ugly head again.

I've "field tested" the unit extensively over the course of the past week and couldn't be more pleased. It acquires quickly, maintains a solid lock as advertised (even under heavy canopy or among tall buildings), battery life is adequate (I did purchase the additional AA battery pack just in case) radio reception is clear, and the 5W transmit power seems to have extended the range considerably. The face and side buttons have a soft touch and tactile feel, the screen is bright and easily readable, and I installed a SanDisk 1GB micro card and uploaded maps (both road and topo) to cover most of everything east of the Mississippi...with plenty of room left for custom POI's. AutoRouting works well. Menu selection is slightly different from what I'm used to, but it's not cumbersome and I'm getting familiar with it. In short...I'm very pleased with the unit.

Bill

Hello maybe you can help me I am having the same issue regarding the on/off/on power up problem as you have stated. I have tried the hard reset and I still have the same issue.

Bill

algotube - I wish I had a real suggestion for you to try...my 530HCx's have been working flawlessly for the last 3 years. Never experienced the power on/off problem since way back in 2007. One thing to make sure of...and that is that you are completely depressing the on/off button...it's in a very peculiar spot because it is so close (sandwiched in) between the quadhelix antenna, and the radio antenna. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bill