First GPS for a 12 year old

rapracing

Is this for geocaching? Old enough to have a smartphone?

If so, a phone app costing ten bucks, or a free (but limited) intro version here might be cheaper (not breaking that bank) than a GPSr, to find he's not interested in it later.

My old Garmin 60cxs is still running like a champ, but if I had to replace it, I'd go with one in the 62 series.

I know a family where the kids use old iPhones without data plans. They load cache data via wifi, then go out caching with their dad.

I know another family that got their son a Geomate.jr, but that was a while ago, and they don't really use it any longer.

There are lots of older unused ones as well as used ones available.

The real question comes to MAPPING. Do you feel he is capable of finding his way to a spot w/o any map? That is, to simply follow the "as the crow flies" direction and distance. If so, your old Garmin (or one like it) should do... guessing that you already know how to use that unit.

They all work pretty much the same. Cost is based upon the 'bread 'n butter' features that he would want or needs.

Of the current production models: Garmin eTrex 10 or 20, Magellan 110 (with reservation), Magellan GC (I think it is still in prod.)

Used: Garmin Vista HCx, Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx (not C, CS or Cx), Delorme PN-30 or PN-40.

Stay away from older model Lowrance, Magellan and those bearing names of riflescopes... they simply weren't made with geocaching in mind... but people are still enticed to them because they are "ch-ch-cheap". Some of them won't even accept the coordinate format used by geocaching.com.

The Geomate jr. has seemingly always had support problems. Now owned by another company, it's worse.

That's my 2¢, for what it's worth!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

We use a Garmin Etrex 20 along with my iPhone 5S. My twin girls just turned seven and they find the etrex plenty easy to use and actually prefer it over my iphone, mainly because it fits their hands better and is easier to see in bright light I think. We just got back from snagging a new one by our house.

Stopping to think it through...

47fd9950-607e-47f1-9d27-6bdc47ce263d.jpg

and about 45 seconds later...

IMG_1920.jpg

Edited by GELOS

There are so many factors here. Yes, the GPSmap 60CSx was a fantastic unit. It still can be depending on your expectations. It has push buttons. It is NOT paperless. I have had three different Garmin units that eventually suffered from problematic push buttons. To take full advantage of a newer paperless GPS unit, you are reliant on a more robust data source. The cost to acquire that extra data from the Groundspeak geocache database is $30 per year. That's fine as long as you are aware that better is not always free, and you are willing to pay for it. Otherwise that older GPSmap 60CSx might be exactly what you are looking for. And the GPSmap 60Cx someone advised you not to consider is only missing an electronic compass. Do you need an electronic compass? No. Do I like my units to have them? Yes. But for the right price, perhaps it would work for you. It basically means the difference between maintaining mostly reliable direction information while you are standing still contemplating your next move, or if you have to keep moving so the good direction advice from the GPS is not interrupted.

I agree that going back even further to a GPSMAP 60CS is only OK if you get an UNBELIEVABLY GOOD deal (it does have an electronic compass, but does not have the high sensitivity receiver or the ability to take a micro SD card). And the GPSMAP 60C even takes the electronic compass away from that. Those of us who worked through all those hardware changes know what we look for, and what we avoid. To many newbies buy only on price, and if something seems like too good a deal, there is often a reason. But at least getting a cheap price and learning to live with what you have is better than learning your lesson about overpaying for obsolete "junk".

You don't hear much about Garmin push buttons going bad, but it is a major reason why when I looked for a paperless GPS, I went with a Garmin Oregon 450t instead of the nearly functionally equivalent GPSmap 62s. The 450t is touchscreen. The 62s is not. Not everyone is a touchscreen fan, but I bet they have never had any Garmin push button issues push them over the edge. It is really personal preference and you take your chances. The 62s has a more external antenna (so there are claims of better reception) and it does have longer battery life. If you are a heavy user of a 450t, carry spare batteries!!!

Some users will tell you the Oregon 450t is a waste of money over the Oregon 450 (the t indicates the inclusion of not all that great topo maps. No question, there are better maps available. But the 450t comes with more internal memory to accommodate that not so great map. So even if you decide to delete the included map from a 450t, you now have more available memory to load better maps.

And this is only my experience with semi recent Garmin units. I don't follow the history of any other manufacturer. So what advice should you consider about what to buy? As a stranger give it welcome that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. In other words, roll the dice, take your chances, and learn as you go like we all did.

And don't forget that there is the newest paperless eTrex line of 10(not), 20, and 30. I have never gone that route, and have no idea. But many have. Good Luck.

Etrex 20 isn't a perfect choice for someone who's likely to drop it, because of a JoyStick. I've dropped it once and JoyStick was almost broken - the navigation up wasn't working. Fortunatelly, the next day it got magically 'unlocked' but now I'd consider device without such fragile moving parts (buttons only).

Etrex 20 isn't a perfect choice for someone who's likely to drop it, because of a JoyStick. I've dropped it once and JoyStick was almost broken - the navigation up wasn't working. Fortunatelly, the next day it got magically 'unlocked' but now I'd consider device without such fragile moving parts (buttons only).

Buy the Garmin case designed for the eTrex 10,20,and 30 and that won't happen. It's specially reinforced and thicker around the thumbstick. I use this case on all my eTrex's and have not encountered a problem as to accidental movement while in my pocket, or by dropping it. About $12.

I had an eTrex 30 myself, and I would not consider the thumstick to be an especially vulnerable or worrysome point of breakage. It's always the screen that is the most vulnerable to breakage on any unit. I dropped my eTrex 30 a couple times and never had any problems with the stick.

I know a family where the kids use old iPhones without data plans. They load cache data via wifi, then go out caching with their dad.

I should try that. My 11 year old son has no trouble with my Oregon (or many technologies for that matter). On the other hand, the old iPhone I have sitting around is a 3GS so accuracy might not be so good. My son has used my "old" iPhone 4S with the official app and what he liked most about was being about it was being able to navigate to the cache using a satellite map view. That wouldn't be an option without a data plan. There are some pretty inexpensive tablets these days with an integrated GPS and as long as it had a good case it probably work fairly well. Still, there are some pretty decent handheld models that aren't very expensive that might be a better choice. An inexpensive Garmin with mapping capabilties and the free OpenStreetMaps maps for Garmin is pretty much all he would need.

We still do not know what the intended use I'd yet do we? Maybe it is safe to assume for caching since the OP is here.

My thoughts, get the paperless caching and one that is relatively newer. The younger crowds really grab onto the tech and I am sure he will love whatever. I know when I wanted my first GPS I did not want to break the bank but I also did not want the cheapest one out there... Did I need a map, no. A build in compass, no. Geocaching, what was that?? LOL

But, I did not know where I would be in the years to come. I never even heard of caching when I got my first GPS. 11 years later I finally replaced it for a newer model by choice not because I out grew it's functions.

Not knowing much about all the models, had a Delorme, I bought a Garmin simply for the open source support for maps and such. Ended up working th a gpsmap64. Pricey but I will only cry once for another 10 years.

We still do not know what the intended use I'd yet do we? Maybe it is safe to assume for caching since the OP is here.

My thoughts, get the paperless caching and one that is relatively newer. The younger crowds really grab onto the tech and I am sure he will love whatever. I know when I wanted my first GPS I did not want to break the bank but I also did not want the cheapest one out there... Did I need a map, no. A build in compass, no. Geocaching, what was that?? LOL

But, I did not know where I would be in the years to come. I never even heard of caching when I got my first GPS. 11 years later I finally replaced it for a newer model by choice not because I out grew it's functions.

Not knowing much about all the models, had a Delorme, I bought a Garmin simply for the open source support for maps and such. Ended up working th a gpsmap64. Pricey but I will only cry once for another 10 years.

I'm sorry I haven't been on here for a little while. It will be used for caching and hunting. I ordered an etrex 30 bundle yesterday from Cabela's. Seemed like a decent deal at $199 (on sale) so I thought we'd give that a try.

In the last post I mentioned I ordered an Etrex 30. It is on backorder.

They had an Etrex 10 on sale for $79. I was in Walmart last night and asked if they would match the price. They did so I picked one up knowing I could return it if I changed my mind (not opened). Looking at the features there are far fewer on the 10.

My question, is this a good unit to start him out with? I look at the features and think I'd like more but I also look at the price and think what if.........

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Edited by rapracing