Some caches showing on website, not on phone?

bootsauctions

Just a quick question, I see a lot more on the website here as far as caches go. Will the app not show premium ones if we aren't a premium account yet? I have the paid app, just not premium account. Or is this some kind of glitch? Thx

You don't say what app version you are using (iPhone, Android) so I'll just point you to the Apps section of the Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

Here is a "comparison chart" posted under the iPhone app section that might help:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Free app for Android, the Full Featured (Paid) app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Just a quick question, I see a lot more on the website here as far as caches go. Will the app not show premium ones if we aren't a premium account yet? I have the paid app, just not premium account. Or is this some kind of glitch? Thx

This has little, if anything to do with Premium Membership.

What you see in the website is all of the caches for a great distance... in fact, as far as you expand the map.

What you see on the app is the result of a local search, based upon your current position. Change position and you'll see other (not necessarily more) caches.

The location services on the phone supplies your location to geocaching.com for the search. Normally, it wouldn't show you caches 50 - 100 - 150 miles away. You can, if you so desire, have the app search for a different location rather than where you are standing.

So... no, not a glitch. More rather, it is by design.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Are you using the free intro app? If so, it only shows caches that it determins are 'good' for beginner cachers.

B.

I have the paid for iOS app.

See post number 2 and 4. Of course you won't see premium member only caches is you are a basic member. Also the app only loads a few caches-I believe 20. You can move the map and press the icon on the bottom left of the map-not your screen, the map- to load more.

I have the paid for iOS app.

See post number 2 and 4. Of course you won't see premium member only caches is you are a basic member. Also the app only loads a few caches-I believe 20. You can move the map and press the icon on the bottom left of the map-not your screen, the map- to load more.

But I see them on the website here, so that is correct? Just seems like it'd be all or nothing...

Basically I just want to make sure they will show up on the app before I buy premium. Otherwise not much incentive.

I'll try this again --

The full/paid app (with Regular Membership) will show you ALL caches except for PMO caches.

In your area of Austin, I checked to see the approximate numbers of PMO caches there were --

Of ALL the caches shown on that map (default zoom level), I count +/- 10 (ten) PMO caches, those are mostly along the riverfront.

I ran a Pocket Query preview of that same map display to note that there was a total return of 380 caches.

If you were to obtain a Premium Member subscription -- it is a subscription with a recurring anniversary fee, not a single purchase -- you will see ~2.6% more caches (in that area of Austin, perhaps about 1/4 of the city).

I'm thinking that you have somehow confused what the app will do vs. what Premium Membership will do.

In the above example, it will show you ~370 caches instead of 380 caches. It will not show them all to you at any given point in time. As you move about during your geocaching adventure, refreshing your search occasionally, it will display different caches as you move. There are distance and total number limitations it displays. Move, and it changes.

You will be able to see and access all of them (except for PMO caches) -- it just isn't going to show them all at one time as does a computer monitor.

The app is not the website, it is only a tool for geocaching.

You can see the full map of caches on your phone in a single setting. Close the app and activate Safari > geocaching.com > local search (on the website).

Whether you go Premium or not is entirely up to you. In your home area, the additional (PMO) caches would amount to a hill-of-beans.

In other areas I have seen, PMO caches comprise nearly 50% of caches placed. Those types of locations are few and far between.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Basically I just want to make sure they will show up on the app before I buy premium. Otherwise not much incentive.

If you're buying a premium membership- the membership, my the app(different things) just to see those 10 PMO caches, well then don't do it. You'll be paying $3 a year for each cache. If you will take advantage of the other benefits as well then go ahead and do it. Of course you can see more caches on the website, look back to what I said about the app (it will only load 20 at a time.) The website will show hundreds or thousands at a time. You just can't have that on a phone, he screen is so small you wouldn't be able to to tell caches apart, or select them.

So the answer is basically that premium membership does work with the app. But why do you want premium membership? That answer will help determine if it's worth it, so tell us and we can explain a bit better.

Edited by T.D.M.22

If you're buying a premium membership- the membership, my the app(different things) just to see those 10 PMO caches, well then don't do it. You'll be paying $3 a year for each cache. If you will take advantage of the other benefits as well then go ahead and do it. Of course you can see more caches on the website, look back to what I said about the app (it will only load 20 at a time.) The website will show hundreds or thousands at a time. You just can't have that on a phone, he screen is so small you wouldn't be able to to tell caches apart, or select them.

So the answer is basically that premium membership does work with the app. But why do you want premium membership? That answer will help determine if it's worth it, so tell us and we can explain a bit better.

NVM the discrepancy no longer appears.

Edited by bootsauctions