Magellan GC

Samkalpa

I ran some pocket queries and loaded them onto my Magellan GC. Everything loaded just fine, went out geocaching, found 9 caches. Everything worked great. Noticed the time was wrong enabled daylight savings. Turn the gps unit off and when I turned it back on (20 minutes later) all the geocaches were gone. Nothing shows up in the geocache list, or on the map. Plug the gps into the computer and open the magellan file, all the geocaches are there. But the gps list says there are no geocaches on the unit. Any ideas why the gps won't display them? I'm sure it's user error, but I'm just not sure what!

I ran some pocket queries and loaded them onto my Magellan GC. Everything loaded just fine, went out geocaching, found 9 caches. Everything worked great. Noticed the time was wrong enabled daylight savings. Turn the gps unit off and when I turned it back on (20 minutes later) all the geocaches were gone. Nothing shows up in the geocache list, or on the map. Plug the gps into the computer and open the magellan file, all the geocaches are there. But the gps list says there are no geocaches on the unit. Any ideas why the gps won't display them? I'm sure it's user error, but I'm just not sure what!

There is a good tutorial for loading to Magellan units: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_magellan.pdf

According to that tutorial, the download data shouldn't be loaded to the 'Magellan' file, but rather the 'Geocaches' file contained within the Magellan file (p.4). Likewise, the corresponding wpts should be loaded into the 'Waypoints' file.

Perhaps you meant that, but you did say Magellan file. Read through the tutorial, it is a goody.

There is a good tutorial for loading to Magellan units: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_magellan.pdf

According to that tutorial, the download data shouldn't be loaded to the 'Magellan' file, but rather the 'Geocaches' file contained within the Magellan file (p.4). Likewise, the corresponding wpts should be loaded into the 'Waypoints' file.

Perhaps you meant that, but you did say Magellan file. Read through the tutorial, it is a goody.

Oops my bad. I did move the geocaches to the "geocache" file and the waypoints to the "waypoints" file. What I don't understand is why the geocaches were on the unit, and then disappeared. Thank you for that link though, it's great. I'm on a mac though not a pc.

Edited by Samkalpa

Samkalpa - my only suggestion is to clear the caches from your unit, reload fresh versions of the pocket queries, and go out caching again. When you've spent enough time outside, turn off your unit, then turn it back on again and see if the cache files are still reading. If so, don't worry about it until October. :D