Garmin Fenix2 for Geocaching

gerald Loughman

I work for a summer camp and am running a geocaching 2 day group and go on geocaching days with my groups very often throughout the Summer. I'm looking to buy a GPS for myself, as we only have four and the more the kids can have in their hand, the better. I have always loved GPS watches, ever since I first used a Forerunner 401. I'm looking to get a GPS watch and the slightly more affordable one is the Fenix2 (the other option being the Tactix). My question is this: are the base maps adequate, as in, are they similar to the base maps of the eTrex 10, which is the GPS unit we have our campers use? Thanks in advance.

Secondary question, if you have the answer: Do the maps found at http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix work on the Fenix2, even though the screens are inverted in color?

I work for a summer camp and am running a geocaching 2 day group and go on geocaching days with my groups very often throughout the Summer. I'm looking to buy a GPS for myself, as we only have four and the more the kids can have in their hand, the better. I have always loved GPS watches, ever since I first used a Forerunner 401. I'm looking to get a GPS watch and the slightly more affordable one is the Fenix2 (the other option being the Tactix). My question is this: are the base maps adequate, as in, are they similar to the base maps of the eTrex 10, which is the GPS unit we have our campers use? Thanks in advance.

Secondary question, if you have the answer: Do the maps found at http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix work on the Fenix2, even though the screens are inverted in color?

I know nothing of the watches.. I know not helpful.. But I was out caching and met up with a guy using one of these Fenix watches. He seemed to be moving right along and finding caches so they must not do all that bad!

I know nothing of the watches.. I know not helpful.. But I was out caching and met up with a guy using one of these Fenix watches. He seemed to be moving right along and finding caches so they must not do all that bad!

Good to know, I already ordered it and am looking forward to getting started with it as soon as I get it.

I don't have an answer but there is also a Fenix 3 (should be out now) and an epix coming out soon(ish).

I saw that, but it was too rich for my blood for even the base model, heck, the Fenix2 base model was almost too rich for my blood, but I've been wanting one for a while so I jumped on it.

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate them.