Android is broken - not the geocaching app

When I receive an email with a hyperlink to a geocache (coord.info) I like to be able to click that link and then choose which app I want it to open in.

I might choose the geocaching app or I may choose one or other web browser on my device.

My android phone use to allow me to make that choice every time - or set a default if I wanted to.

Since ending up with the new app I've ended up having that forced on me as a default and I thought the app was to blame - but it isn't.

The problem is actually that my Samsung Galaxy S5 Touchwiz interface OR the version of Android on it has decided that I don't need to be able to always choose which app I want a cache page to open in - even though I've selected the Always ask option.

I'm not certain yet if Touchwiz or Android is to blame - but the geocaching app defninitely isn't to blame.

I'm on Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)

I'm not super familiar with the Touchwiz interface (much to my relief), but usually if you go into application settings, there's an option to reset the defaults associated with a particular app, thereby stopping it from automatically forwarding coord.info links straight to the app

Indeed there is.

Problem is that the default gets reapplied after one or two instances of opening the link and you have to drill down and reset it again - only to have it reapply again after one or two opens and so on - ad infinitum.

Looks like it's a known issue - http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/651718-but-i-don-t-wanna-set-default-how-can-i-avoid.html