Oregon 600 problems

BKip

Using a Oregon 600 - when I enter a new Geocache manually (and making sure the Geocache icon is selected), and then select "Where to" the new item is NOT listed in the Geocache list. It is found under "Waypoints".

The problem, after selecting the WP with "Where to" and switching to the Geocaching screen, the displayed goto WP is NOT WHAT I SELECTED, it is acting as though I had not selected anything and is defaulting to the nearest cache (that was not manually entered).

Any help?

P.S. Other problems with my Oregon 600: Numerous software crashes/freezes, compass arrow often points 180d out, poor GUI design (requires too many button presses to do any one thing), and more...

This is just a guess, but there is probably an attribute in the entry that makes it a geocache. I don't know of any way to manually (i.e. on the GPS) make a waypoint a cache.

You could likely do it using your computer once that attribute is identified, but that's not what you're asking. At that point it would just be easier to download the cache as a cache.

This is just a guess, but there is probably an attribute in the entry that makes it a geocache. I don't know of any way to manually (i.e. on the GPS) make a waypoint a cache.

You could likely do it using your computer once that attribute is identified, but that's not what you're asking. At that point it would just be easier to download the cache as a cache.

What first initiated the problem was going after a "multi" where as I didn't have the coordinates and in the short time I've had the Oregon 600 I've needed that function about 5 times.

Assigning the geocache treasure box icon to a waypoint doesn't turn it into a geocache. Geocaches are a special case and are treated differently than normal waypoints.

Okay..... how?

Can't be done. You can create waypoints, but not geocaches. The XML from geocaching.com that gets loaded to your unit is what has the necessary attribute for the device to realize that it's a cache as opposed to an ordinary waypoint. Sorry.

In the field, I'll work my way through a multi, and in the end, bring up the original listing and add my field notes just to that. At each stage before the final, I create a new waypoint (not cache) from whatever information I've been given at the current stage, and navigate to that. I suspect it's that way for most handhelds.

Using a Oregon 600 - when I enter a new Geocache manually (and making sure the Geocache icon is selected), and then select "Where to" the new item is NOT listed in the Geocache list. It is found under "Waypoints".

The problem, after selecting the WP with "Where to" and switching to the Geocaching screen, the displayed goto WP is NOT WHAT I SELECTED, it is acting as though I had not selected anything and is defaulting to the nearest cache (that was not manually entered).

Any help?

P.S. Other problems with my Oregon 600: Numerous software crashes/freezes, compass arrow often points 180d out, poor GUI design (requires too many button presses to do any one thing), and more...

You cannot create a geocache waypoint. You can however enter next stage coordinates for a multi or puzzle cache (or any cache actually) When navigating to a cache, select the geocaching icon or press the geocaching dashboard to bring up the options page, then select coordinates from the lower left and enter the next stage. This will automatically start navigating to the coords you entered and it will show on your cache list as Next Stage. Continue as needed until you find the final and then log it.

Any help?

You cannot create a geocache waypoint. You can however enter next stage coordinates for a multi or puzzle cache (or any cache actually) When navigating to a cache, select the geocaching icon or press the geocaching dashboard to bring up the options page, then select coordinates from the lower left and enter the next stage. This will automatically start navigating to the coords you entered and it will show on your cache list as Next Stage. Continue as needed until you find the final and then log it.

That worked! The solution I needed (and from a SD local no less).

I have a long way to go to feel comfortable with the Oregon 600.

Thank you kindly.

Happy to help.

To prevent crashes, run Garmin's WebUpDater to get the latest software for your Oregon, and I recommend using GGZ files instead of GPX for loading caches (GSAK makes this easier with the GarminExport.gsk macro)

Also, check out The Oregon Wiki for all the info Garmin should have provided.

Cheers!

I've run the WebUpdater. I have GSAK and I'll try the GGZ files.

At first glace the wiki looks pretty good.

Thanks again!

Any help?

Another alternative that I find works well for me. I changed my dashboard on my map page to 'Nuvi'. The bottom of the screen shows distance to the waypoint selected and not a geocache. Hope this helps.

I am having a similar problem with my Garmin 600. When I navigate to a geocache or a waypoint and then go to the compass it shows the closest cache not the one I am navigating towards. I have searched for a setting that controls this and cannot find anything. Any help?

Change the dashboard on your compass page (lower right corner) from Geocaching to Small Data Fields and then select whatever info you want it to display.

I am having a similar problem with my Garmin 600. When I navigate to a geocache or a waypoint and then go to the compass it shows the closest cache not the one I am navigating towards. I have searched for a setting that controls this and cannot find anything. Any help?

Change the dashboard on your compass page (lower right corner) from Geocaching to Small Data Fields and then select whatever info you want it to display.

Works perfectly. Thanks!

Total noob. Is it possible to upload the cache seek status 'Found/DNF' back up to my GC log or do I always need to log on and do it manually? Not a big deal but if I could upload the results & notes it would be relly cool. Thanx.

Edited by 2Wheel

Total noob. Is it possible to upload the cache seek status 'Found/DNF' back up to my GC log or do I always need to log on and do it manually? Not a big deal but if I could upload the results & notes it would be relly cool. Thanx.

Yes. With your GPS connected to the computer, on your GC.com profile, select Field Notes, then upload my field notes, then browse files and navigate to your Garmin/Geocache_visits file and your found caches with field notes will be uploaded to GC.com for easy logging.

Once you've finished, you can delete the old GPX or GGZ files and load a fresh batch of unfound caches.

I would also recommend looking into GSAK, as it is a great tool for doing everything in geocaching.

If you have the geocaching dashboard as your preferred dashboard in that profile that is how it works. It cannot be changed. If you don't want the closest use the map and setup the four items dashboard. Make one pointer and one distance to destination.

I am surprised no one mentioned this before since it is well known and someone brings it up fairly often.