GSAK Workshop

GrievousAngel

It's taken us a while, but we're finally ready to do the GSAK workshop we've been talking about since last fall. Stephen Winter (W1 of TheWinterTrio) has agreed to present a workshop on GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), a powerful and robust tool for keeping track of your finds, your hides, caches you want to find, etc.; filtering those databases in a variety of ways; managing challenges you may be working on, sending waypoints to your GPSr, and much, much more. We'll be meeting with Stephen on Thursday, February 27, at the Snohomish Library (approximate coords N 47 54.925 W 122 05.290).

GSAK is free to download from www.gsak.net) and use for 21 days. After that, you will see a nag screen when you log in, and that screen will last a bit longer every day unless you buy the program. It costs $30, but if you don't find it essential, you can just delete it. Unfortunately, GSAK works only on PCs unless you've installed a Windows emulator on your Mac—so this is probably of interest only to those who have a PC at home..

So if you want to find out about this versatile tool, plan to be at the Snohomish library with your laptop (with GSAK already installed) ready to start at 6:00. We'll go until they shut the place down at 8:45.

This workshop will be by pre-registration ONLY—no drop-ins--and space will be limited. If you want to attend, please send me an email at kathym98012@yahoo.com and tell me how many seats you want reserved. No kids, please—this will require the full concentration of the participants. This will not be an event cache, just a workshop.

The puzzle workshop filled up pretty quickly, leaving some folks on the waiting list, so let me know right away if this interests you. Thanks.

Great to hear! Also, for those unable to attend this class, Rambudo and I plan to host one on Saturday March 8 or 15 in the Bellevue area. The long drought of GSAK classes has come to an end. B)

Kathy, LMK if you need some teaching aides to walk around and help attendees while Stephen is presenting. I've done it before.

Edited by hydnsek

...Rambudo and I plan to host one on Saturday March 8 or 15 in the Bellevue area.

These dates might work for me. The 27th is definitely out.

Update: If you can't make Kathy's workshop on Feb. 27, Rambudo and I will be doing a second GSAK class in the Bellevue, WA, area on Saturday, March 15, 1:00-4:00 pm. It's in the community room at the Coal Creek YMCA, reserved under WSGA and my name (Abby Wolfe).

- You'll need to bring a laptop with GSAK already installed.

- To register, send me (Abby Wolfe) an email at sageloki@gmail.com with your real name and caching name and # of adults (no kids).

...Rambudo and I plan to host one on Saturday March 8 or 15 in the Bellevue area.

These dates might work for me. The 27th is definitely out.

Update: If you can't make Kathy's workshop on Feb. 27, Rambudo and I will be doing a second GSAK class in the Bellevue, WA, area on Saturday, March 15, 1:00-4:00 pm. It's in the community room at the Coal Creek YMCA, reserved under WSGA and my name (Abby Wolfe).

- You'll need to bring a laptop with GSAK already installed.

- To register, send me (Abby Wolfe) an email at sageloki@gmail.com with your real name and caching name and # of adults (no kids).

I am going to try to make this

This thread has been a roller coaster ride for me! Ever since we started caching I have wanted to figure out this GSAK thing. I even purchased it hoping I could figure it out on my own (I can hear the laughter now). Then my computer died and it took me a while to get another one. Now I have one and decided to search the forums for GSAK help. And what do I see? A workshop right in my neck of the woods! Yay! But wait.....it's already past.Then I read further down and there will be another one March 8th or 15th......as I'm scrolling down I'm hoping it's the 8th because the 15th is out for me......Darn all the luck! It's on the 15th! Any more coming up soon? Or anyone willing to offer individual help?

This thread has been a roller coaster ride for me! Ever since we started caching I have wanted to figure out this GSAK thing. I even purchased it hoping I could figure it out on my own (I can hear the laughter now). Then my computer died and it took me a while to get another one. Now I have one and decided to search the forums for GSAK help. And what do I see? A workshop right in my neck of the woods! Yay! But wait.....it's already past.Then I read further down and there will be another one March 8th or 15th......as I'm scrolling down I'm hoping it's the 8th because the 15th is out for me......Darn all the luck! It's on the 15th! Any more coming up soon? Or anyone willing to offer individual help?

The GSAK board is very friendly and helpful. Somewhat out dated but there is GSASK 101 and GSAK 201.