Dont think Compass is working

Raym59

Set out today to find a local cach and noticed even though the distance to go was counting down the mtrs to go the compass needle was pointing the opposite way from direction I was traveling . On previous finds the needle always pointed roughly in the direction I was heading. I am using a Vista cx .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Set out today to find a local cach and noticed even though the distance to go was counting down the mtrs to go the compass needle was pointing the opposite way from direction I was traveling . On previous finds the needle always pointed roughly in the direction I was heading. I am using a Vista cx .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Firstly, make sure that you con't have anything with a magnet in it, near your GPSr when reading the compass. Anything with a speaker in it (mobile phone, mmp3 player, 2-way radio) will have even a small magnet. I've noticed that when I wear both my two-way radio and my Garmin Oregon on lanyards round my neck, the magnet in the radio is big enough to affect and distort the Oregon compass. I have to ensure I'm holding it a good 8-10 inches away, to be able to reply on the pointer.

Do you have the eTrex Vista Cx manual? If not, download it from here: http://www.rad-fahren.com/Docs/documents/etrexvistacx_ownersmanual.pdf .

The compass directions -- far more than what current manuals provide -- start on page 48.

According to what is written, while in motion this particular compass works as an inertia compass -- that is, it interprets your direction and velocity using the GPS satellite signals.

While stationary, the electronic (magnetic sensor) compass takes over.

It does seem a bit confusing and as such you may want to read it over MANY times.

Further, it appears as though the electronic compass is a 2-axis compass as you need to hold it level in order to obtain an accurate reading.

The electronic compass in this unit also appears to be on/off switchable -- perhaps you have inadvertently switched it off.

Do you have the eTrex Vista Cx manual? If not, download it from here: http://www.rad-fahren.com/Docs/documents/etrexvistacx_ownersmanual.pdf .

The compass directions -- far more than what current manuals provide -- start on page 48.

According to what is written, while in motion this particular compass works as an inertia compass -- that is, it interprets your direction and velocity using the GPS satellite signals.

While stationary, the electronic (magnetic sensor) compass takes over.

It does seem a bit confusing and as such you may want to read it over MANY times.

Further, it appears as though the electronic compass is a 2-axis compass as you need to hold it level in order to obtain an accurate reading.

The electronic compass in this unit also appears to be on/off switchable -- perhaps you have inadvertently switched it off.

And the electronic compass has to be calibrated - and on the Oregon, at least, occasionally recalibrated.

Rgds, Andy

This happens quite often with the Etrex 20 (which has no magnetic compass). Usually when the GPS signal isn't very good (which is quite frequent if there are trees, buildings or heavy clouds around).

The direction needle fails to update even though the distance is counting down quite accurately. I think it's a feature.

Same with our Etrex 20 but usually it's 180 degrees out by the pointer but the direction (NSEW) indicated is correct.

This happens quite often with the Etrex 20 (which has no magnetic compass). Usually when the GPS signal isn't very good (which is quite frequent if there are trees, buildings or heavy clouds around).

The direction needle fails to update even though the distance is counting down quite accurately. I think it's a feature.

Same with our Etrex 20 but usually it's 180 degrees out by the pointer but the direction (NSEW) indicated is correct.

Excuse the silly question, but are you holding the GPS so that the top is facing the direction you are walking?

When it happens to me I'm definitely holding the unit correctly. Usually after a few minutes it starts pointing correctly. In the meantime you can work out which direction to walk by taking note of the distance to destination and making sure it's decreasing.

The 20 is pretty quirky though so it might not behave the same with everyone.