Alternative containers

Oxford Stone

I'd be interested to know where COs buy their cache containers.

I own a couple of snails and magnetic nanos from geotees, and to my shame a Tupperware box and a film pot (scrounged from Boots). Sorry about that. OS Junior calls the Tupperware shelf in the supermarket the Geocaching Section.

Maplin (electronic gadgets http://www.maplin.co.uk/store-finder ) often have £1 bison tubes.

Wilkinson screwtop beakers, also £1, have a lip which I've found makes them easily tied up trees.

Oxford army surplus has ammo boxes going for £8 (I'm going to buy Junior one for his 6th birthday); I need to go back and see if they have any smaller watertight containers a soldier might use for fags, they make nice containers and are again ready-camoed.

A few local COs work in science labs and seem to have access to various neat small clip / screw-top plastic tubes - Anyone know where to buy such things? Any other suggestions for re-purposed containers?

Several of mine are repurposed urine sample bottles ( unused ) and *ahem* gentlemens relish bottles ( again unused ) friend of mine works in a private hosp and they have "borrowed" a few for me as and when needed ... They make excellent watertight containers Although I usually make a point of removing the labels !!

The film pot will make a great container for a log sheet inside the Tupperware box. Although it's great that there are so many geocaching suppliers now and so many interesting ready-made cache containers, there's a lot of satisfaction in devising your own. Or at least, customising your own.

Mrs H is good at sewing, so for my latest cache (a keysafe micro) she made a neat little sleeve from black water-resistant nylon (with a Velcro fastening). It cheers me up to think of people finding a nice clean and dry container with an immaculate RITR log sheet inside (bought from a geocaching supplier) when they are used to rather sad and soggy caches. I bought the keysafe from a geocaching supplier but beefed up the magnet.

That reminds me, I have a dead laptop - I think there's a decent magnet to be had from the inside if I can do it without electrocuting myself.

Just bought a one-winged one of these: My link for £1.25, will shove a Tupperware in him and find a tree for him to hide in. Got an animal-themed cache idea brewing.

I'm always on the lookout for sturdy bits of bark and hollow branches for camouflage purposes.

That reminds me, I have a dead laptop - I think there's a decent magnet to be had from the inside if I can do it without electrocuting myself.

The magnets are in the hard disk (unless you have a SSD). There's no dangerous voltage in a 2.5" hard disk. Those are usually found in power supplies (the capacitors can pack quite a wallop long after they are unplugged from mains).

To open up a hard drive, you need a set of Torx screwdrivers. It will probably cost more than buying the magnets, but then you'll have tools to terrorize your other electronics with :) The magnets will be mounted on a plate, and they'll be almost impossible to remove from the plate without damaging them. I recommend leaving them on the plate - makes it a little bit harder to use but better than damaging them.

By the way, that plate is usually made of a material (probably mu metal) that can shield magnetic force. Quite an interesting material.

Several of mine are repurposed urine sample bottles ( unused ) and *ahem* gentlemens relish bottles ( again unused ) friend of mine works in a private hosp and they have "borrowed" a few for me as and when needed ... They make excellent watertight containers Although I usually make a point of removing the labels !!

These are indeed excellent containers. (Not the ones with the metal screw lids though, they tend to rust out)

Not having a friend in a hospital, I buy mine off ebay, mostly 60ml but the occasional 100ml one too.