Pokemon GO

alandb

What effect if any do you think the Pokemon Go craze will have on the future of Geocaching? Will we see a new Geocaching app? .... maybe a hybrid of Wherigo and virtual caches? Pokemon Go has certainly brought the idea of location based gaming into the spotlight.

What effect if any do you think the Pokemon Go craze will have on the future of Geocaching? Will we see a new Geocaching app? .... maybe a hybrid of Wherigo and virtual caches? Pokemon Go has certainly brought the idea of location based gaming into the spotlight.

I hope it will have no effect on geocaching. I play both games and I don't want to see any changes to traditional geocaching.

As for Wherigo, I do see where we could create a hybird cache around Pokemon, and may do one myself that ends with a nice large geocache. That is my plan in the works for my next cache placement. A Virtual Wherigo Geocache. :laughing:

I think with no planning when it came out (what do they care...), it'll be history before, or shortly after the Summer's over (and kids are back at school).

- Or when Mom & Dad see that first coin bill from that "free" app. :laughing:

Mildly amused that their kids were at least leaving the house, the public's already more than aware of the issues associated with teens and no respect for others private property.

Add in the bump/fall dumb-while-walking accidents with attention issues, I think it'll be short lived.

The downside is, so many geocachers using phones now too (and already being asked if they're playing that game), the hobby isn't out of sight of the public as it used to be.

I believe it might affect some urban caches on permission.

the public's already more than aware of the issues associated with teens and no respect for others private property.

I saw the issue of no respect for others private property with the intro app and geocaching, the scorched earth cachers at GZ.

I'm yet to find any Pokemon stops or gyms that are on private property. However I am seeing several cars and groups of people playing Pokemon Go in public parking lots.

I'm not one of the geocachers screaming to ban another game that others enjoy and I don't feel threatened by Pokemon Go. It's going to be around for more than just a few months, and it's not just teen-agers playing it. I'm seeing mostly young adults in their mid 20's to early 30's. :)

The Pokeman Go craze is not setting well with a couple of large cemeteries in my area. They are banning this activity. Participants will be asked to leave. I hope this don't craze don't put an end to cemetery caches.

I heard that the Pokeyman thing has like 20 million active participants. Probably most of them have never even heard of geocaching. I think that if it gets at least 10 million, overweight, never-seen-the-outdoors, overweight game addicts outside for some fresh air, sunshine and a walk, then good deal.

A sliver of that horde might dig the concept and discover geocaching, proper.