Puzzle is just a picture

Gill & Tony

I am looking at a puzzle cache, which I will not name for obvious reasons. The short description is blank. The long description is an image, no text. The image is not a hyperlink. The published coordinates end in .000 and .000

I'm looking for general ideas on how to start solving this.

I have so far tried

1. highlighting the description, but no white on white text exists.

2. Searching the page source, but there are no embedded comments.

3. I've looked at the image size in the page source and used the dimensions (both 3-digit numbers) as the last part of the coordinates - in both cases

4. I've looked at the image URL, but that doesn't seem to contain anything likely to be coordinates

5. I've copied and pasted the URL and seen the original image and that doesn't have any extra information

6. The image doesn't contain any EXIF data.

So, I've now run out of ideas. Anyone else have some suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Gill & Tony
  • Surprised 2
Anyone else have some suggestions?

Zoom in on the image and scroll around. Maybe there are super tiny numbers or text clues just a couple of pixels high.

I'm gonna make one someday, where the picture is an actual place locally (maybe at the posted coords), with some important numbers or clues removed. You'd need to go find out what's missing, in order to solve it. Oh yeah. I'm gonna do that, you just wait. :anicute:

What is the difficulty rating? I know of one cache with just a photo, that went unsolved for a long time. None of the usual things worked. I never found out what the solution was.

Edited by kunarion

Sometimes it helps, with a puzzle like that, to look at the few things on the page that the CO actually has any control over. Find all of them, be thorough. Subtract all the things that are part of Groundspeak's standard cache page, and - in the case of a puzzle like that - you've only got a very few things left to work with. And you know it's gotta be in there somewhere!

That may help. Good luck.

PS: https://coord.info/GC2WNT6

PPS: images can hide all sorts of things. Especially JPGs; look up the format and you'll find all sorts of cool stuff. Some puzzlers take advantage of cool stuff like that. [whistles]

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The cache is D4.0, with more than 30 finds. The hit to miss ratio on the geochecker is slightly better than 1:2, so about 1 in 3 attempts have been successful. My two so far are among the fails. I'm guessing that this means that, once you see it, the answer is obvious.

Nothing stands out when opening in Wordpad - I'm assuming that embedded text would have to be near the top or bottom (header or footer data in the image file) with the actual image data taking up the middle.

Photoshop doesn't give me anything - there are no dead black (or white) areas in the picture, so levels and curves don't show anything and I've scanned it visually at 200% size and nothing stands out. It is a well-known image and I've compared the one on the page with the original and, to the naked eye, they are identical.

I'll bounce this one off my son and see if he can come up with anything.

Thanks for the ideas - they will help with another puzzle sometime soon, I'm sure

Tony

Could it be using something like Steganography? Or is that the same as EXIF data?

Stenanography isn't really the same as EXIF data. EXIF data is metadata associated with the image that is plainly viewable with a photo editor. There are some stenanography tools that can *sometimes* detect strings but there are several types of steganography.

A file that has a .jpg extension isn't necessarily just an image. There is a way to create a zip file (and still be seen as an image) that could contain almost anything. Changing the file extension and attempt to "unzip" it will tell you if that's the case.

There is a linux command line tool (and there are windows versions that can be down loaded) called "strings" that will print strings in binary data. Occasionally I've had luck using that.

Watch for the type of image file. For example, I once solved a puzzle where the image looked static, but was actually an animated GIF where numbers would gradually fade in and out - very faintly and very slowly - in non-obvious areas of the image. If you weren't looking really carefully, you could easily miss that this was happening. I actually stumbled upon this after opening the image in the EXIF tool linked to by Viajero Perdido, which has been useful in many scenarios.

Look for an individual pixel that may contain all the data.

There was one like that in my area once. Check the most center pixel.

Just because the coords end in .000 does not mean you need to find only six numbers.

You may need to find the whole coords. N45 23.000 W093 52.000

Just might be N45 21.568 W093 51.689.

Look for an individual pixel that may contain all the data.

There was one like that in my area once. Check the most center pixel.

Which evil local cacher did this???????

That's actually brilliant. As 24-bit, you've got room for 3 numbers (R G and B) between 0 and 255. If you can make the coordinates work in those bounds, you could completely mask the answer, requiring the user to use the correct pixel and understand how to interpret the colour :D love it!

I made a puzzle with only pictures once.

Multiple choice. The data was hidden in the link to the picture. That cache is now archived due to animal activity at the site.

Animal kept muggling it, then ATV drove over and crushed it. The FTF crew drove through a blinding blizzard for 15 miles to get it.

On 11/9/2016 at 3:40 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Sometimes it helps, with a puzzle like that, to look at the few things on the page that the CO actually has any control over. Find all of them, be thorough. Subtract all the things that are part of Groundspeak's standard cache page, and - in the case of a puzzle like that - you've only got a very few things left to work with. And you know it's gotta be in there somewhere!

That may help. Good luck.

PS: https://coord.info/GC2WNT6

PPS: images can hide all sorts of things. Especially JPGs; look up the format and you'll find all sorts of cool stuff. Some puzzlers take advantage of cool stuff like that. [whistles]

What was the trick with this one?  I looked at all the things I could think of with the ? and still nothing.  I don’t live in the area, I’m jus trying to get a handle on these puzzles. 

• Funny 1