Geocachers "Finding" the own caches!

nise 53

I have noticed in the area where I live there are a couple of people that have placed caches and then they "find" them....sometimes more than once! If they log it "found" doesn't that add to their numbers???? And is that fair???? I certainly didn't think you were supposed to "find" your own caches. They do this by saying "stopped by to check on my cache and all is well" but instead of logging it as "write a note" they log it as "found" and I believe they know the difference, I think it is all about getting their numbers high. I cache on a regular basis, take care of travel bugs I find and try to follow the rules!

Some people don't realize that the Write Note option exists. The only log type they've used is Found it! so that's what they post. I'd say this is by far the commonest reason for people to be logging finds on their own caches; it's just a mistake.

If they are deliberately doing it, I don't care personally, as long as the find log doesn't create mis-information that the cache can be found, when it can't. I have seen a cache owner log "Found it!" indicating that they thought the cache was missing and would check. An error, not intentional, but messy. The temp disable log is what they should have used.

Cachers just running up their find count by logging finds on their own stuff is not my problem. I don't care what their find count is, or how they arrived by it, as long it's not creating the false impression of a cache present, when a cache is not.

I have noticed in the area where I live there are a couple of people that have placed caches and then they "find" them....sometimes more than once! If they log it "found" doesn't that add to their numbers???? And is that fair???? I certainly didn't think you were supposed to "find" your own caches. They do this by saying "stopped by to check on my cache and all is well" but instead of logging it as "write a note" they log it as "found" and I believe they know the difference, I think it is all about getting their numbers high. I cache on a regular basis, take care of travel bugs I find and try to follow the rules!

It's something that happens an awful lot. Is it fair? I don't think it's a question of "fair", I think it's a question of being unaware of different log types.

I agree that with the theory that these people just don't know there are different log types. They've only logged "found it", no matter the situation. Whether they actually found the cache or not, they log "found it".

Cache owners, though, should be familiar with the different log types. It's not hard to learn or figure out. It's a simple matter of clicking on links. Maybe that's too much effort for some folks.

3.8. Managing Your Geocache Listing

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=234

Part of cache ownership is maintaining the cache page. False "found it" logs should be deleted, etc.

When doing cache maintenance, the "owner maintenance" log should be used.

"Write note" is the best option for cache owners or previous finders to use when logging trackables.

Heck, even Groundspeak thinks the cache owner logging "found it" on their own cache is lame:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=80

3.6. Logging My Own Geocache

[update 16 October 2012]

Can I log a find on my own geocache? What about when I go back to visit?

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own geocache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit a geocache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a geocache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden geocache.

B.

I don't believe for one moment that a CO isn't aware that "Found It" isn't the log for maintenance or dropping in Trackables.

I think they simply feel no one will notice.

One near me has a good number of found-it-fakes for notes, trackable drops, and Owner Maintenance (locals were keeping track), but it wasn't until he started doing it to our caches that folks read him the riot act.

Edited by cerberus1

Don't let it get to you. Just shake your head and go "Stupid, stupid stupid." Or if you're so inclined, try to educate them in the use of the "Write a Note" log.

I don't believe for one moment that a CO isn't aware that "Found It" isn't the log for maintenance or dropping in Trackables.

I think they simply feel no one will notice.

It is possible that the CO just hasn't noticed either. I accidentally logged a number of Finds on my first cache. Some of them I caught and corrected immediately. Some took me a while to notice. Some, others pointed out to me.

Yes, you shouldn't do that. They might be making a mistake. They might be doing it on purpose. Who cares?

And is that fair????

The most important point here is that there's no competition going on, so "fair" has no meaning. They're doing something silly, so their find count doesn't reflect the actual number of finds they have. It makes no difference to the rest of us, unless they're our friends, in which case we're embarrassed for them and might take them aside to talk about it.

Yes, you shouldn't do that. They might be making a mistake. They might be doing it on purpose. Who cares?

And is that fair????

The most important point here is that there's no competition going on, so "fair" has no meaning. They're doing something silly, so their find count doesn't reflect the actual number of finds they have. It makes no difference to the rest of us, unless they're our friends, in which case we're embarrassed for them and might take them aside to talk about it.

Care because allowing it to continue uncorrected only (rightly or wrongly) compounds the stereotype that geocaching is becoming "all about the numbers".

I'd imagine there'd be a way to code cache pages so that a cache owner couldn't log "Found it", or that a person could not log multiple "Found it" logs on a cache of any kind.

I'd imagine there'd be a way to code cache pages so that a cache owner couldn't log "Found it"...

Some people like to hide very difficult caches or caches of certain D/T ratings to fill a grid under an assumed account, then log them as found under their usual account.

I'd imagine there'd be a way to code cache pages so that a cache owner couldn't log "Found it"...

Some people like to hide very difficult caches or caches of certain D/T ratings to fill a grid under an assumed account, then log them as found under their usual account.

If they're willing to go through that extra work for a grid filler, so be it. But blatant number padding, is just silly.

I'm talking more about curbing the unintentional multiple Found Its that people post, especially when trying to log as cache owner some note or maintenance performed...

Cliche I know, but they're only cheating themselves.

Bingo. If someone is soooo keen to pad their own stats, let them. The only real harm it makes is if you let it effect your own enjoyment. I'll keep getting out there to new places, discover new sites, and continue to take with a pinch of salt those who claim they found 100+ caches in a day.

and continue to take with a pinch of salt those who claim they found 100+ caches in a day.

And yet, it can be done. We did two trails so far with 100+ caches. One around a town in the Netherlands (101 in one day) and another with 139 mysteries (geoart) during a 60Km bikeride. It's fun do do every once in a while but we think that twice in 9 years is a good average for this stuff B)

Btw, back on topic. I've seen a newbie log a FTF on his own cache once. Don't know if he went out after publishing or signed the log when hiding the container :blink:

and continue to take with a pinch of salt those who claim they found 100+ caches in a day.
And yet, it can be done. We did two trails so far with 100+ caches.
Yep, even before the advent of numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail, it was certainly possible to find more than 100 caches in a day. I know people who found more than 100 mystery/puzzle caches in a day.

MY wife and I say we have cached in Montana (we have one find there) and I have talked with people who say they don't count a state unless they make five finds. We don't log our own caches, but some of the cachers in the area do. I have read Event pages that explain that "FTF Rights" will be given away as a door prize, no one around here claims FTF on an Event. Do I think I am Right and they are Wrong? Sure I do, but as I read on someone's Profile they play the game and keep stats the way they do for there own enjoyment.

I have talked with people who say they don't count a state unless they make five finds.

Weird!! Why five? Why not three, or ten, or some other arbitrary number. Like one? Heck I have looked for caches in two counties where I didn't find any; I think DNFs should also count toward "caching."

I have talked with people who say they don't count a state unless they make five finds.

Weird!! Why five? Why not three, or ten, or some other arbitrary number. Like one? Heck I have looked for caches in two counties where I didn't find any; I think DNFs should also count toward "caching."

+1

When souvis are placed on your profile with "only" one find in each state, that's kinda counted to me. :)

I have read Event pages that explain that "FTF Rights" will be given away as a door prize, no one around here claims FTF on an Event.

I've never heard of a FTF on an event cache. Is that the first person that shows up? :rolleyes:

In my area, there's one cacher in particular that makes it a point to be the first person to log an event online and claims "FTA" (First To Attend) every time. I think it's just downright silly.

Lately I've been suspecting that the geocaching app for the phone may be a factor in logging mishaps. There are a couple of new cachers that have been logging their DNFs via a Found It note. (I know, at least they're logging their DNFs) If you're using your phone to find and log your finds, you're initially confronted with only two options on the app... Navigate and Found It. If you don't realize that by pressing the little arrow in the corner of the Found It option, you might miss that you can pull up all the other logging options, including Didn't Find It and Write Note. It's possible that even an established CO with a brand new fangled phone may not realize those options exist and is just trying to get the info out there. As to whether it's fair, that's already been answered. It really only matters to that cacher.

I dont think the option Brooklyn refers to is available on the intro app- certainly on the iPhone, although it is on the paid app. If phone users are being told in he forums, as I have read recently, not to bother with the paid app as it may be filtered out perhaps this is part of the problem?

I have read Event pages that explain that "FTF Rights" will be given away as a door prize, no one around here claims FTF on an Event.

I've never heard of a FTF on an event cache. Is that the first person that shows up? :rolleyes:

No, it's the person whose name gets pulled out of the hat right after the speeches are finished. :rolleyes:

A newbie (11 founds) placed a D3 cache and immediately after publishing (didn't mention FTF) logged a found with just "easy" as content. After the real FTF logged he had to correct his coordinates "Distance from original: 61.8 feet or 18.9 meters." and right after that again "Distance from original: 12.6 feet or 3.8 meters."

Nice going ... B)

BTW, he also logged a mystery (bonus of a series) without logging the series :ph34r:

And is that fair????

Care because allowing it to continue uncorrected only (rightly or wrongly) compounds the stereotype that geocaching is becoming "all about the numbers".

Agreed. When the "all about the numbers" stereotype is reinforced, as more geocachers enter the game it will be more likely that they'll just assume that's what geocaching is about. Personally, I'd prefer it if more geocachers entering the game had the perception that geocaching was about creating a interesting, weather resistant cache, and hiding it in a manner and location that people might enjoy, rather that just to provide an increment in the find count for other geocachers.

But, that's not so much an issue as is knowingly posting multiple "found it logs" on a single cache or finding a cache one has hidden themselves perpetuates a perception that geocachers lack integrity.

I'd imagine there'd be a way to code cache pages so that a cache owner couldn't log "Found it", or that a person could not log multiple "Found it" logs on a cache of any kind.

There is but the challenge is doing that it in a manner which doesn't have the side effect of preventing "legitimate" found it logs. The "legitimate" exceptions are few but if the coding doesn't allow for them people are going to scream. My approach would not be to prevent these sort of logs, but to intercept them and display a confirmation dialog box such as: "You have already posted a found it log for this cache. Are you sure that you want to post another one? [Yes] [No]" It would serve as a reminder that someone is doing something out of the ordinary but still allow for, for example, multiple logs on brass cap caches.