Learning the ropes

kpofootball1

Hey everyone I'm fairly new to the Geocaching community and i was just looking for some advice from the more advanced folk here. So i started doing this by downloading the app on my phone and using my phones GPS to find different locations but as i am getting more and more into this I'm finding my phone is losing service making it impossible for me to find more caches. So now I'm looking into handheld GPS but have no clue what to get so I welcome any suggestions. I don't mind paying for quality / dependable products but I'm not looking to break the bank either. Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome! There are so many different gps's and a huge price range. It's tough to pick. I started with a basic Magellan explorist gc model and used that for 5 years...then upgraded to the Garmin oregon 600. I'm pretty happy with it. A lot more bells and whistles. It all really depends on what you want in a gps.

Welcome to the game. Others will give you advice on gps's but I would also add that for some of the caches where you are loosing service on your phone you can save them into your phone while you have service and then find them when out of range. It is sometimes a little more difficult but still possible. We only cache with our phones and find them when out of range. You just have to remember to save them while still in service range. How to do this will depend on the app you are using.

Thanks for the replys guys and wile im sure i can make it work with my phone (seeing as i am now) I want to upgrade the the ease of having a GPS for my best chances. As for that link Touchstone it had some really good information i had not though of before and ill take it all into consideration. What im looking for is brand and model suggestions for things in the $100-$150. Also, to cdcaches ill look into the garmin 600.

Thanks again guys

I'd probably stick with my phone a while longer, and save up a couple more bucks.

Quality/dependable and less than 150 bucks is reaching a bit, unless there's a super summer sale. :)

Noticed yesterday Cabela's and amazon both had etrex 20s for 200 bucks (that 199.99 thing), the minimum I'd use.

Not big on toggles, but they work good.

The lowest we've seen on Oregon 600 was around 250 on sale.

REI had the GPSMAP 64 for the same (250.) two days ago.

I'd probably stick with my phone a while longer, and save up a couple more bucks.

Quality/dependable and less than 150 bucks is reaching a bit, unless there's a super summer sale. :)

Noticed yesterday Cabela's and amazon both had etrex 20s for 200 bucks (that 199.99 thing), the minimum I'd use.

Not big on toggles, but they work good.

The lowest we've seen on Oregon 600 was around 250 on sale.

REI had the GPSMAP 64 for the same (250.) two days ago.

Thanks for the insight now that im looking at prices im noticing that prices for decent looking ones are right around the price your saying. So, for now, phone it is. Ill keep doing some looking around and might post a few links to get opinions but ill more than likely wait a little longer.

Also what brands or models do you reccomend? around 250ish?

Thanks!

Edited by kpofootball1