Waiting to get published

Sadie is on the hunt

Generally, how long does it take to have a new cache published? I entered mine 4 days ago and thought maybe it would have been viewed over the weekend, but it has not. This is my first hide so I guess I'm a little anxious.

Did you receive the email from Groundspeak?

If you've successfully submitted a geocache for review, and have read the email from noreply@geocaching.com, you know that geocache listings are reviewed by community volunteer reviewers.

Reviewers strive to begin the review within 7 days of enabling your listing.

You may experience longer than normal waiting time in the week following a holiday, or after a large geocaching event. We ask for your patience. Please keep in mind that reviewers are volunteers and sometimes things come up in their lives that delay geocache review.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.5. My geocache has not been reviewed

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

In Geocaching 101, the section for Hiding Geocaches states, "Each cache that is submitted to Geocaching.com is reviewed by a volunteer to ensure that the cache meets the Geocaching Listing Guidelines. It may take up to three days for the volunteer to contact you and make your cache live on the web site. Sometimes the volunteer will need to work with you to fine-tune the listing so it can be published. We kindly ask for your patience during this review process, especially on weekends when site traffic can be high.

They're volunteers and have lives like the rest of us. :)

I see the cache page you created on 7/7 called "Victory is Ours." It is disabled, so the reviewer won't see it waiting in their work queue. You need to click on the green button near the top of the cache listing that says "Submit for Review."

Edited by Keystone

It's a common mistake (forgetting to click the "Submit" button). Although I'm sure review times can vary, that 7 days is usually the exception....most times it's quicker than that, usually something on the order of 2-3 days. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.

Everything fell into place after I followed Keystone's suggestion. My inbox received an auto reply confirming my submission and the reviewer was very timely with a response. Once I sent my detailed information about my cache I was published within 2 hours or so.

I understood from the onset of my submission that the reviewers are volunteers who have more important responsibilities than answering Geocahe email. With that said, I feel that cut and paste responses with links reiterating this fact was less than helpful. It felt like it was more important to chastise me rather than put some thought into the response and offer a practical suggestion. I actually had a technical issue with my submission and was not making any demands of the reviewer. I will keep an eye out for future beginners and will do my best to offer constructive feedback rather than make them feel that they have unrealistic expectations of the cache hiding process. In other words, I will be as warm and as welcoming into the Geocahe community as possible.

Everything fell into place after I followed Keystone's suggestion. My inbox received an auto reply confirming my submission and the reviewer was very timely with a response. Once I sent my detailed information about my cache I was published within 2 hours or so.

I understood from the onset of my submission that the reviewers are volunteers who have more important responsibilities than answering Geocahe email. With that said, I feel that cut and paste responses with links reiterating this fact was less than helpful. It felt like it was more important to chastise me rather than put some thought into the response and offer a practical suggestion. I actually had a technical issue with my submission and was not making any demands of the reviewer. I will keep an eye out for future beginners and will do my best to offer constructive feedback rather than make them feel that they have unrealistic expectations of the cache hiding process. In other words, I will be as warm and as welcoming into the Geocahe community as possible.

Please don't feel that way. Those responses were people trying to help in the only way they could.

The response you got from Keystone is a different matter entirely. He is a reviewer, and has the ability to examine your submissions and see what has went wrong. The other responses were from cachers just like you and I that don't have the extensive access that the reviewers have to the cache pages and who were trying to help in the only way they could.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

From another thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333545

I'd like to take a moment to explain canned responses.

Yes, many/most reviewers do use canned responses for many different situations. I currently have 85 canned responses for things like proximity, permission, commercial and many more.

So why do we do this? Why do we not take the extra time to make a personalized response to every issue? I know when I email customer support at a company, I often dread getting a canned response. Often it seems like the response applies about 10% to my situation, and they didn't spend enough time trying to resolve my issue. I hope people don't feel that about the reviewers.

But some of the reasons I'd like to give for canned responses vs personalized:

Consistency - When reviewing dozens or hundreds of caches each week, we try and be as consistent as possible in our review. By consistent I'm mostly speaking of consistency within my region, not country or world wide, as there are different land policies all over. Having a form helps me make sure I'm treating everybody the same - caches I know, cachers I don't know, and cachers new to the game.

Completeness - It's easy to forget a detail when there is an issue with a cache. If there is a proximity problem, I need to make sure I reference the cache or caches there are problems with, the distance that is a problem (unless it's a mystery/multi where I usually don't give distance). If it's a problem with land policy, I need to give the relevant information about contacts, permits, policies, etc. If I didn't use a form, I can guarantee my failing memory would forget something all the time!

Time - Of course, clicking a template and filling in a few details is a lot quicker than hand typing each reviewer note.

B.

BC & MsKitty, thank you for your insight. I will keep an open mind going forward. I also will not let any nonsense deter me from having fun while geocaching either. It's all good. ??

Great attitude! You wont find these kind of responses anywhere while caching. Somehow it just comes off this way on this forum. There are a great bunch of people here with a lot of great info but for some reason it comes off as not so nice a lot of the times even when they don't mean it.