Moving cashes

comics1996

Would it be ok to move cashe logs? As I know someone that does it and it doesn't seem right.

It's not cashe. It's cache. As in geocaching.com, the website you go to. The same as it's spelled at the top of this page. And what do you mean by moving cache logs? Generally you have to move a log to sign it, even if it's picking it up. That's obviously OK. Do you mean removing them when they are full? I wouldn't unless I know the owner. Although it seems to be acceptable to do so on powertrails. Do you mean from cache to cache? Like on a power tail you sign a log, place it in the cache and take the old log out, sign that while on the way to the next cache, and repeat? I personally wouldn't do that, but it's not unheard of.

Or do you mean the geocache moves(like your title implies?) No, you shouldn't move an actual geocache.

Would it be ok to move cashe logs? As I know someone that does it and it doesn't seem right.

It's not cashe. It's cache. As in geocaching.com, the website you go to. The same as it's spelled at the top of this page. And what do you mean by moving cache logs? Generally you have to move a log to sign it, even if it's picking it up. That's obviously OK. Do you mean removing them when they are full? I wouldn't unless I know the owner. Although it seems to be acceptable to do so on powertrails. Do you mean from cache to cache? Like on a power tail you sign a log, place it in the cache and take the old log out, sign that while on the way to the next cache, and repeat? I personally wouldn't do that, but it's not unheard of.

Or do you mean the geocache moves(like your title implies?) No, you shouldn't move an actual geocache.

No I was talking about moving cache logs from one cache to a another one.

No I was talking about moving cache logs from one cache to a another one.

In that case I answered your question.

Would it be ok to move cache logs? As I know someone that does it and it doesn't seem right.

Frowned upon practice that has become more common with the advent of so called "Power Trails". It presumably saves time to swap logsheets and books from one cache to the next, signing the log in route to the next cache location.

I feel so naive when I see the sorts of weird (to me, anyway), things that people do when it comes to caching.

Surely a log belongs with a specific cache, even on a power trail! Moving a log from one cache to another just to save time defies all sorts of logic and makes it impossible for a CO to check physical and online logs.

Methinks I'll just keep on signing the logs that are in the actual caches that I actually find - boring perhaps, but seems like the way this game is supposed to work.

I feel so naive when I see the sorts of weird (to me, anyway), things that people do when it comes to caching.

Surely a log belongs with a specific cache, even on a power trail! Moving a log from one cache to another just to save time defies all sorts of logic and makes it impossible for a CO to check physical and online logs.

Methinks I'll just keep on signing the logs that are in the actual caches that I actually find - boring perhaps, but seems like the way this game is supposed to work.

Sage my Dad and agree with that. As you won't have the original log in it so you won't know who signed it. As some people don't put the cashes that found on the website. So, the people that don't log their caches get credit to cashes that aren't their's.

Sage my Dad and agree with that. As you won't have the original log in it so you won't know who signed it. As some people don't put the cashes that found on the website. So, the people that don't log their caches get credit to cashes that aren't their's.

This sort of thing was unheard of before Groundspeak opened up the flood gates to power trails. I will not be surprised when people start using power trail practices on all caches.

Over the years, the lowest common denominator tends to win out. Use to be logbooks were the norm. Then micros with micro scrolls became popular. People would still sign in and often write something on the sheets, but then cache owners started printing off sheets with tables on them with 200 little cells to force people to write tiny signatures, or just initials. I interpret the CO saying "I don't want you to fill up this sheet, if you have something to say, say it online. If this sheet fills up I have to replace it. I'm placing a micro because it's easier and less work so don't write anything but a tiny signature. I'm not going to actually look at this sheet and will toss it, if I ever get around to maintaining it."

Once people got used to just signing their sigs without any comments, then only signatures started appearing in swag size caches with logbooks. This new logging practice was much easier for the finder. They can quickly move on to the next cache, time is of the essence. This became especially important when gobbling up power trail caches. Power trails made speed caching the new norm.

Next cache owners who planted swag size caches started putting a sheet of paper or a micro scroll in their larger cache. It's rare these days to find an actual logbook in any cache. Why make the effort, it's only going to fill up with names and dates - nothing worth bothering about.

Now that power trails have made swapping logs acceptable, (as well as "team" logging, 3 cache monte, leap frogging, throwdowns etc) we will see (have seen) spill over into the rest of caching.

+1 Getting so caught up in getting numbers that you have to create a shortcut like that would just take all the fun out of the game for me.

This sort of thing was unheard of before Groundspeak opened up the flood gates to power trails. I will not be surprised when people start using power trail practices on all caches.

Over the years, the lowest common denominator tends to win out. Use to be logbooks were the norm. Then micros with micro scrolls became popular. People would still sign in and often write something on the sheets, but then cache owners started printing off sheets with tables on them with 200 little cells to force people to write tiny signatures, or just initials. I interpret the CO saying "I don't want you to fill up this sheet, if you have something to say, say it online. If this sheet fills up I have to replace it. I'm placing a micro because it's easier and less work so don't write anything but a tiny signature. I'm not going to actually look at this sheet and will toss it, if I ever get around to maintaining it."

Once people got used to just signing their sigs without any comments, then only signatures started appearing in swag size caches with logbooks. This new logging practice was much easier for the finder. They can quickly move on to the next cache, time is of the essence. This became especially important when gobbling up power trail caches. Power trails made speed caching the new norm.

Next cache owners who planted swag size caches started putting a sheet of paper or a micro scroll in their larger cache. It's rare these days to find an actual logbook in any cache. Why make the effort, it's only going to fill up with names and dates - nothing worth bothering about.

Now that power trails have made swapping logs acceptable, (as well as "team" logging, 3 cache monte, leap frogging, throwdowns etc) we will see (have seen) spill over into the rest of caching.

I guess I started after the age of the logbook. Thanks for 'splainin'. It never occurred to me to swap out log sheets. And no, I'm not going to. Just interesting...

I seen this on the other thread but it didn't get threw my thick head. So cachers are taking the logs to other caches. That is just crazy and in my mind not acceptable on any cache even a power trail. Who would even think of this. It would in no way be OK on any cache at all! It is crazy this is even a topic. You sign it and replace it in the cache it came from.