Release Notes (Website: Search, Corrected Coordinates)- October 21, 2016

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes - October 21, 2016

With today’s website release, we have added a couple of small but mighty new features:

•  

• Search results now show caches at their corrected coordinates in list results (i.e. distance and sorting from the search center).

• You can now add corrected coordinates for any cache type! (Previously, it was not possible to add corrected coordinates for such types as Traditional, Wherigo, Letterbox, etc.)

a99d4c71-856f-46a3-9826-d26af1ec4be9.jpg

Ben from HQ’s product team will follow this thread, and answer questions where appropriate.

Happy caching!

The ability to correct coords on all types of caches is a welcome feature addition... thanks! :D

Hopefully the display of the icons on maps at the corrected coordinates will soon follow this enhancement to the list results... please! :) The small map on the cache page shows corrected location, but expanding to the larger map to visualize context is still lacking this useful ability.

Hopefully the display of the icons on maps at the corrected coordinates will soon follow this enhancement to the list results... please! :) The small map on the cache page shows corrected location, but expanding to the larger map to visualize context is still lacking this useful ability.

Although the browsing map does not currently show caches at their corrected locations, you can see caches at corrected coordinates when viewing a map preview of the search results (i.e. by clicking "Map these results" after running a search).

As Ben has already mentioned, it is possible to see the icons at the solved locations. The difference is how you're getting to the map. This capability has existed for a while. Of course, there isn't an indication of which icons are using corrected coords or original coords.

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/area/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Cache icons appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Cache icons appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Although the browsing map does not currently show caches at their corrected locations, you can see caches at corrected coordinates when viewing a map preview of the search results (i.e. by clicking "Map these results" after running a search).

IMHO, I like having the option to see icons at either the original or solved locations. So, the way things are now seems fine with me. Of course, it would be awesome if there was a toggle option in the side menu when on the browsing map to allow either solved or original coords.

Thanks for this, Ben, and I find that functionality useful when searching around a specific area. However, what more often happens is that I'll be browsing around the general map looking for somewhere to suggest to the group as a hiking destination, and see an interesting trail with unrequited smilies. It would be helpful to also know if there are some puzzle finals (or multi next stages) in the vicinity as well. Puzzle finals seem to build up, waiting for "the next time I'm over there".

The same way, after solving a puzzle it would be useful to be able to go to the map from the cache page and see the corrected coordinates in context of what else is around and exactly which trail it's on. As you know, zooming out in the small cache map view doesn't show any neighbouring caches. "View larger map" is centered on the corrected coords all right, but missing the icon for exact placement.

I can't imagine why anybody might NOT want corrected coordinates shown on all map views, but as somebody else suggested, if this were a concern, perhaps it might be optional?

Perhaps your observation that "the browsing map does not CURRENTLY show caches at their corrected locations" hints at the near future? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all you do.

I can't imagine why anybody might NOT want corrected coordinates shown on all map views, but as somebody else suggested, if this were a concern, perhaps it might be optional?

A couple reasons that come to my mind are:

(1) If someone is planning to place a cache and wants to ensure that their cache's "false" coords don't overlap/obscure another cache's "false" coords. There are already some cases where cache icons overlap (ie, Virtual and Earth) and someone looking at the map may see only 1 cache on their app/GPSr, especially if they are zoomed out.

(2) If icons are placed in a GeoArt format and the user wants to be able to see the icons/smileys in the "art" shape.

Of course, either of these situations could be remedied by removing the corrected coords. Not necessarily a preferred option, IMHO.

The optional/toggle option would be ideal. Maybe it will be available someday. :)