Colorado software version 3.42 Beta

Colorado software version 3.42 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4667

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.42:

* Added brightness adjustments for BirdsEye imagery.

(On the map, press options, Select Map, BirdsEye Satellite Imagery)

* Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.

* Fixed map display problems.

* Fixed improperly cropped review text.

I have just installed it and it seems to work fine so far, it definitely fixes this problem.

Yes, very glad that issue has been rectified.

Mine still hangs on "Loading Maps" for the first boot up after being connected to a pc , I had hoped there was an undocumented fix for that.

It's a given that Garmin would fix issues with it's software in respect to existing units. I'm curious to hear any opinions as to whether the Colorado,with it's discontinuation,see any enhancements that owners been requesting for almost two years such as Track Manager and an alternative text entry? It's wise for Garmin to remove the Colorado from the market considering how they screwed up what could have been such a great product. My hope is that they learned something from it,considering the loss of good-will from many customers.

It's a given that Garmin would fix issues with it's software in respect to existing units. I'm curious to hear any opinions as to whether the Colorado,with it's discontinuation,see any enhancements that owners been requesting for almost two years such as Track Manager and an alternative text entry? It's wise for Garmin to remove the Colorado from the market considering how they screwed up what could have been such a great product. My hope is that they learned something from it,considering the loss of good-will from many customers.

No. Unless it is something commercial like BirdsEye.

I think that killing Colorado was mistake. They should have restarted it instead: make some hardware improvements (USB 2.0, support for SDHC cards, 3-axis compass, perhaps camera) and add all the features from GPSMAP series people missed plus some new features, call it Colorado II and I would buy it.

I definitely prefer the rock-n-roller over bunch of buttons like 'new' GPSMAP 62/78 have (I owned GPSMAP 76CSx for two years before I got my Colorado soon after it came out so I am talking from experience).

I am even thinking about getting a backup unit while I still can (400i for ~$200).

Track manager is the only feature I still wish for on my Colorado, otherwise its just about perfect at this point. I think they made a mistake in removing it for sure, I think they just took the Colorado and changed the shell to the 60 series for the new 62 so people would forget the cruddy start Colorado's had and be fooled to think its a 60csx with all the accuracy and features of the new units, and charge accordingly. When this is exactly what the Colorado already was.

I am glad they are still giving updates for the Colorado's and I know I will use mine till it dies.

In another thread about the recently released 78,it was specifically mentioned through a link,that it will also be using the Casterio chipset like the Dakota and Oregon. It's probably fair to say that it will also be built into the soon to be released 62. That makes software upgrades easier for the developers working on the Garmin handheld units. If my assumption is correct,does that mean because the Colorado has a MediaTek chipset,it will not be worth the time for Garmin to do any more than add enhancements to fix bugs,or what's needed to generate additonal revenue from it's mapping products?

Edited by flyjazz

....support for SDHC cards...

SDHC works fine. I run a 16 GB card with currently around 10 GB of maps and 2 GB of Birdseye.

I am using 16GB card in my Colorado 300 too but I consider it read only, I don't dare to write to it using the unit itself. It is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and I am not sure it is working quite well. My Colorado 300 is one of the first units so perhaps later ones are better behaved.

I am using SDHC card reader and it is much faster that way. I have 'killed' one card trying to write to it using GPS, maybe the card was bad but it worked fine at first.

Good thing is that BaseCamp supports that directly and there is 'fixed' MapSource version 6.15.11 which can send maps to any drive (I don't remember where I found it but I am not going to upgrade anytime soon). Building large map set is still slow but sending it to the 'unit' is very fast if you pick local drive as target (gets put into the garmin folder), then you can copy the IMG file to the card via card reader in matter of minutes, not hours.

I have 4.7GB of maps on the card and would have more but I am hitting the tile limit. What maps do you have that you are not running into the tile limit even with 10GB of them?

So when I said SDHC support, I really meant USB 2.0 speed mostly.

....support for SDHC cards...

SDHC works fine. I run a 16 GB card with currently around 10 GB of maps and 2 GB of Birdseye.

I am using 16GB card in my Colorado 300 too but I consider it read only, I don't dare to write to it using the unit itself. It is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and I am not sure it is working quite well. My Colorado 300 is one of the first units so perhaps later ones are better behaved.

I am using SDHC card reader and it is much faster that way. I have 'killed' one card trying to write to it using GPS, maybe the card was bad but it worked fine at first.

Good thing is that BaseCamp supports that directly and there is 'fixed' MapSource version 6.15.11 which can send maps to any drive (I don't remember where I found it but I am not going to upgrade anytime soon). Building large map set is still slow but sending it to the 'unit' is very fast if you pick local drive as target (gets put into the garmin folder), then you can copy the IMG file to the card via card reader in matter of minutes, not hours.

I have 4.7GB of maps on the card and would have more but I am hitting the tile limit. What maps do you have that you are not running into the tile limit even with 10GB of them?

I guess he maybe use 10 1GB maps just like what I'm doing, I have different type of maps in my Colorado 400c, it easy to switch between different maps.

I also find the writing speed is terrible slow :)

What maps do you have that you are not running into the tile limit even with 10GB of them?

Ibycus Topo 3.1 (whole country), Metroguide Canada V5 (whole country), Topo Canada V4 (whole country) and some trail maps. It is only in the US where there are making tiny tiles still.....

USB 2.0 is a different story. The nice thing about the Colorado is that the SD card comes out in seconds and just pop it into a USB 2.0 reader.