New to Caching

Flying Fox 139

I'm new to this and it sounds like alot of fun also!

When I asked a couple of friends if they knew of it, surprisingly they did!

One friend has friends that do it and another does.

So I am itching to start. The problem right now is that we have like three feet of snow everywhere.

Does anyone go looking in these conditions?

Also do you make up your own "Sig"? or does someone assign a number to you?

Edited by Flying Fox 139

Also do you make up your own "Sig"? or does someone assign a number to you?

Your 'Sig' is your username, in your case Flying Fox 139 which if you find micro/nano caches with small logs can be shortened to FF139 or even FF

(Always worth a mention in your online log, if you've abbreviated your username in the log!)

If you check out your profile page and membership https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/membership

You can see your Member ID.

Yours is 11803117

It can also be found by hovering your mouse/curser over your name in the forums.

(Few people use them, but it's worth knowing!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

... The problem right now is that we have like three feet of snow everywhere.

Does anyone go looking in these conditions?...

Yes people do. Some around here will even do back country caches in these conditions.

For a new cacher in the snow, I think it is best to try to find caches that have been found by others in the last few days (or since the last snowfall). That way you will know that it is there, and findable. And the previous finder's tracks may (or may not) help you find the cache.

As for singing the log, just use your geocaching.com user name, Flying Fox 139. or Flying Fox is likely good enough, unless there is another cacher in the local area with that user name. (I see that there are 5 geocaching.com members with veriations of Flying Fox for a user name.)

Edited by Andronicus

Even though there is 3 feet of snow everywhere I am sure there are caches around that you can find without dealing with digging threw snow. Like in a walmart parking lot. Not that these are usually great hides but it might be better then trying to dig a cache out of the snow. We did go dig one out of snow but it was a fun change for us as it don't snow where we live. It wouldn't have been fun for our first find.