PQ question

Nada Clue

Garmin etrex 30 When you download a new PQ does it overwrite the previous PQ?

If you're using a Windows PC, and if when placing the file, there's a popup window asking about overwriting the file (various messages are possible depending on the Windows version), and if when asked, you select the option to over-write the file, then... yes. :anicute:

Because my GPSr is a Garmin and therefore I know it loves to misbehave :anibad:, my practice is to delete old files before installing new. But when you place your new file, you can look at the folder and see if everything's cool. If you had a file like "pocketquery.gpx" and now have that and "pocketquery(1).gpx", it didn't over-write the old file. The GPSr selects the newer of the two cache descriptions. ...If it's behaving well today. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Garmin etrex 30 When you download a new PQ does it overwrite the previous PQ?

If you're using a Windows PC, and if when placing the file, there's a popup window asking about overwriting the file (various messages are possible depending on the Windows version), and if when asked, you select the option to over-write the file, then... yes. :anicute:

Because my GPSr is a Garmin and therefore I know it loves to misbehave :anibad:, my practice is to delete old files before installing new. But when you place your new file, you can look at the folder and see if everything's cool. If you had a file like "pocketquery.gpx" and now have that and "pocketquery(1).gpx", it didn't over-write the old file. The GPSr selects the newer of the two cache descriptions. ...If it's behaving well today. :anicute:

It does not ask if I want too overwrite when I download a PQ. That's what made me wonder about it. It does if I do an individual cache. I will have to figure out how to erase files before downloading a new PQ. I am very new to this. Thanks for your help! Also don't know what a GPSr is.

It does not ask if I want too overwrite when I download a PQ. That's what made me wonder about it. It does if I do an individual cache. I will have to figure out how to erase files before downloading a new PQ.

Many strange and random issues seem to clear up by keeping a tidy "GPX" folder. So I just do that out of habit now, although most of the time, it wouldn't matter.

Plug your Etrex (or most any Garmin) into the USB port and it becomes a USB drive. Navigate to the folder [Drive]:/Garmin/GPX, and that's the folder for GPX files. You'll have to unzip a PQ, and then place its files into the GPX folder. "Send To My GPS" sends files to the "GPX" folder automatically. It's often just as fast, and more reliable to move GPX files directly. Plus you can remove files (or back them up).

By "GPSr", as mentioned, I meant your Garmin Etrex (or handlheld GPS receivers in general). I may start using the term "GPS" when referring to the handheld hiking device, since it would be tough to interpret something like "Send the PQ to your GPS" as meaning "Send the PQ to your personal orbital satellite navigational transmission system for the planet". Unless it's a discussion with an evil overlord or something. :P

Edited by kunarion

It does not ask if I want too overwrite when I download a PQ. That's what made me wonder about it. It does if I do an individual cache. I will have to figure out how to erase files before downloading a new PQ. I am very new to this. Thanks for your help! Also don't know what a GPSr is.

When you run a PQ you get a file that begins with an 8 digit number which might have a name appended to if if you have requested that. (The file will look something like 83652691.zip or 83652691_saginwaw.zip.) The files inside the ZIP envelope will use the same name for the first part of their names.

If your run the same PQ at a later date, the files will have the same name and the operating system will ask you if you want to replace the existing files when you copy them to the GPS. If you create and run a different PQ it will come with a new name,i.e., different numbers, and therefor will not overwrite the existing file since it has a different name.

Note that both the new and old PQs may contain the same geocaches, but the computer can only compare the names of the files. Having two or more PQs on the GPS with the same caches can cause problems as the Garmin is not consistent on which version of the cache it uses.