Release Notes - June 4, 2014

Read the previous release notes

Release Notes:

After taking care of some unexpected issues that arose yesterday, we have successfully rolled out the latest Geocaching.com update. We know it's not about the numbers, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy our stats—and with the latest updates to the site, your stats just got better:

• Lab Cache finds are now included in many stats (Learn more here)
  • New "Current Streak" and "Current Slump" stats
  • Stats update automatically

And, naturally, no release would be complete without a full round of bug squashing.

It seems like the new update mixed up all my milestones. Kinda looks like it may have reversed or scrambled up the caches found on a day instead of going in order I logged them.

And I don't believe I've ever found any lab caches

Edited by CardsFlyinHigh

This is all very confusing. I am glad that lab caches are now included in the stats as having two find counts was very odd, but now there seem to be other problems:

1. The lab caches don't seem to count as distinct finds, which is clearly incorrect. On checking my geocaching logs, my lab cache find for "I heart geocaching" doesn't appear.

2. My "I heart geocaching" lab cache doesn't appear as a listing that I own. If it counts as a find for my friend, why doesn't it count as an owned cache for me?

3. Why don't they appear in the distance charts? I had to specify a starting place for the cache and thus it has a location...

I don't understand why Groundspeak haven't just added lab caches as another type of geocache with all of the same attributes as any other type, simply with the restriction that I cannot place any more of that type without 'applying' to do so or whatever Mega event organisers do?

Is the site down? I can't seem to get on to the site.

Apparently so. Go outside and find a cache. When you come back it should be working again.

Silly... but it is back up

Even if it didn't come back up, how do you find a cache if you can't find one on the website if it is down?

Edited by jellis

I was going to come here and add a "me too" in regards to the milestone issue, but with reports of the site being down and things like a "test site" banner on the front page, it seems like changes are already underway. I'll wait until later today when things have settled down and check again.

Well, my stats are messed up now. My milestones are fine as I had them locked in already, and I had them always including lab caches anyway.

But anyway, my stats...

6,983 Caches Found - this is the correct number, including lab finds.

You've found 6972 cache(s) since your first cache find - this is what my stats page says.

I have found 33 lab caches - 12 from the Block Party, 10 each from 2 mega events and 1 Feb lab cache. I have created 11 - 10 for a mega event and 1 of the February lab caches.

Only 1 of the lab caches shows up in my owned caches, not all 11.

:/

Edited by funkymunkyzone

Well, my stats are messed up now. My milestones are fine as I had them locked in already, and I had them always including lab caches anyway.

But anyway, my stats...

You've found 6972 cache(s) since your first cache find - this is what my stats page says.

I have found 33 lab caches - 12 from the Block Party, 10 each from 2 mega events and 1 Feb lab cache. I have created 11 - 10 for a mega event and 1 of the February lab caches.

The 10 Lab Caches you hid for the Mega were actually hidden using the Geocaching-SA account. I can't see a reason for the disparity with your caches found since you started state, though, so I will have to do some further investigation.

But anyway, my stats...

The 10 Lab Caches you hid for the Mega were actually hidden using the Geocaching-SA account. I can't see a reason for the disparity with your caches found since you started state, though, so I will have to do some further investigation.

No, I had nothing to do with Geocaching-SA - that's the OZ Mega. I'm talking about the NZ Mega in Auckland, which is on my account. But that is definitely a side-issue anyway - whether they show up as owned is not a find stats issue.

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

No, I had nothing to do with Geocaching-SA - that's the OZ Mega. I'm talking about the NZ Mega in Auckland, which is on my account.

Ah, my mistake. However, it looks like the NZ mega caches were hidden using the "megaevents" account rather than your own.

In any case, I won't likely have an answer to the other issue until I can confer with a dev tomorrow.

In looking at things.... the Lab Cache issue didn't seem to bother me too much.

what DOES bother me is that i logged a cache on 6/2/14, saved it for later, and sent it on 6/3/14 via the official iPhone App.

It had messed-up my stats..... and showed i missed 6/2....

but now it's right.

Here's what i have as of today:

1183 consecutive days with finds from 03/10/2011 to 06/04/2014

So i guess it's fixed. :laughing:

Looking at my statistic and my public profile, I see at least 3 bugs.

In february, I "hided" one lab cache and "found" one as well. My current count is 956 with and 955 caches without the lab cache.

1. While the total count on the page header and "Total Found" on public profile is correct, the count on statistic page's "Caching Chronology" is NOT.

2. My hidden lab cache is listed on "Geocaches Owned" on public profile, but it is NOT added to "Total Caches Owned"

3. My found lab cache appears as a milestone on the statistic page. The underlying link points to a cache somewhere in the world, that I never found.

bugs1.jpg

Incorrect counts of hides/finds for those with Labs will be corrected once the affected account posts a log or waits long enough for the cache to expire on the server. We have in fact removed the "distinct" line from the stats, as it seems to generate tons of support tickets from people who don't know what it means or why their numbers are different, and it was failing to properly count lab caches after the release.

The issue with incorrect links on Lab Cache milestones is still awaiting investigation.

We have in fact removed the "distinct" line from the stats, as it seems to generate tons of support tickets from people who don't know what it means or why their numbers are different, and it was failing to properly count lab caches after the release.

That was a quick and easy way to tell if someone had logged any caches more than once, so it's a shame it was removed. Is there the possibility of adding a "stat" showing the number of caches with >1 "Found it"/"Attended"/"Webcam photo taken" logs as a replacement?

<snip> We have in fact removed the "distinct" line from the stats, as it seems to generate tons of support tickets from people who don't know what it means or why their numbers are different, and it was failing to properly count lab caches after the release. <snip>

Thanks for the info. Might it come back when things get sorted out or is it gone for good?

Incorrect counts of hides/finds for those with Labs will be corrected once the affected account posts a log or waits long enough for the cache to expire on the server. We have in fact removed the "distinct" line from the stats, as it seems to generate tons of support tickets from people who don't know what it means or why their numbers are different, and it was failing to properly count lab caches after the release.

The issue with incorrect links on Lab Cache milestones is still awaiting investigation.

Thank you Moun10Bike. I can confirm my stats are fixed and agree with each other. :)

I use the Project Geocaching http://project-gc.com to display my statistic. there the Lab caches in the total number not taken into account (supposedly because that is not implemented in the geocaching API) shall it yet to be implemented, that the total number of foreign applications (api) with the Labcaches displayed shall ?

Edited by -Stefan-

When I asked about Lab caches being implemented into the API I got the following answer.

There is no short term plan to integrate Lab Caches into pocket queries or the API. Lab caches are on a different platform than regular geocaches and their integration is limited to the items listed here.

So it looks like the difference in stats between project-gc and geocaching.com is here to stay for a while yet!

You even changed "Unknown Cache" to "Mystery Cache" within the GPX file?

Before:

<type>Geocache|Unknown Cache</type>

<Groundspeak:type>Unknown Cache</Groundspeak:type>

After:

<type>Geocache|Mystery Cache</type>

<Groundspeak:type>Mystery Cache</Groundspeak:type>

I guess, this wasn't your intention...?

Since then, my GPSr (Garmin) won't show ?-Caches anymore.

Edited by RCH65

You even changed "Unknown Cache" to "Mystery Cache" within the GPX file?

This extends to the log emails as well, I got this as subject line in an email:

Subject: [LOG] Bookmark: INKA-H found Widerstand zwecklos!_OHM#07 (Mystery Cache)

This previously would have read "(Unknown Cache)".

And while they are commonly referred to as "mystery" caches, the have always been "unknown" in the log mails. Please revert this, it breaks things...

Gusti

I've been told that if the community demands it, we will bring it back. I'd encourage you to write in or post a forum thread on the topic (and get others to post to it) to show your support.

So does that include Virtuals, Locationless, And the Classic Cache Submission Page?? Just asking...

I would also like the "distinct" finds to come back... I thought this was a very useful tool for knowing if finds were logged multiple times by mistake.

I ditto that. I want it back as well. Please?

I'm happy for it to come back as long as all caches (including lab caches) count as "distinct".

If it coming back would throw the numbers out again, then I don't think it should. There are plenty of other ways to search for bad logs (Project Geocaching, GSAK, etc).

:antenna:

I think they've already changed it back to Unknown. I just downloaded a GPX of a puzzle cache, and it says "<type>Geocache|Unknown Cache</type>".

Yes, they did... :rolleyes:

And it's back to <type>Geocache|Mystery Cache</type> again.

<_< *sigh*

I think they've already changed it back to Unknown. I just downloaded a GPX of a puzzle cache, and it says "<type>Geocache|Unknown Cache</type>".

The MyFinds PQ still contains "Mystery Cache".

Will you undo these changes or do we have to modify our scripts... ?

<_< *sigh*

My Garmin 450 is now showing just a general Treasure box instead of a "?" icon for the Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle/whatever-they're-called caches...

It seems like there is a major terminology mess-up. As a Groundspeak volunteer translator, I really hope HQ gets this straightened out, forever locked-in, and universally implemented everywhere, to avoid further confusion & chaos.

What should these Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle Geocaches be 'officially' called?

Edited by Dr.MORO

What should these Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle Geocaches be 'officially' called?

From the Help Center (http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277):

Mystery/Puzzle Geocache is the "catch-all" of geocache types. It was formerly called an "Unknown" geocache.

And it says "updated 7 June 2014"...

So, officially "Mystery/Puzzle Geocache", it now is. Better than very vague "Unknown", I guess.

But still, this is going to cause some major code editing all over.

I wonder if this has been notified to everyone related to Geocaching, Cachers, GPSr manufacturers, programers, etc. beforehand. Or, HQ 'just' changed it all of a sudden... :lostsignal:

<_< *sigh*

My Garmin 450 is now showing just a general Treasure box instead of a "?" icon for the Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle/whatever-they're-called caches...

Same here on my Garmin Montana when I give it gpx files downloaded from the geocache pages. Looks like geocaching.com is delivering gpx files that are not compatible with Garmin's current product line.

Moun10Bike, could you clarify for us if the intention is to leave this defect in the system or to change it back to the way it was as you had stated earlier.