Why we haven't posted/played for a while

Team Abarth

I know others "lose interest" after a short while....but that's not why. We really enjoy geocaching. My wife misses doing it. Problem is my job....I'm constantly on my feet running around making sure things get done...performing "miracles"...meeting the needs of others. By the time the weekend gets here...I'm done. Last thing I want to do is run around some more. We want to get back into again this spring though...and hopefully my body will be readjusted to the job. In the mean time...we still monitor the geocaches we placed. Question though....I had a comment on one of mine. At first they logged it as a DNF, but then a found...and pretty much gave away the exact location. Can or should I delete that comment? I made our first 2 easy for a reason...but didn't want it that easy. Thoughts?

If it's the D1 home cache named with the location of the container (with a hint that matches too), I'd probably just email the finder.

Explain that it's easy enough without an outright spoiler, and please relog again without it.

If no response, delete it yourself.

Like many these days, and at three only finds, they probably (really) haven't read that far into the hobby yet. :)

Thanks everyone....I sent him a message to edit it...and yes...it's the home one. If he doesn't, I'll do it. Figured where it's stashed would be a part of the challenge of the find without being to hard...but his statement made it pretty much a dead give a way. Hoping come this spring I'll have the energy to get back into doing more geocaching....I see some new ones around us to hit....but until then...I plan on being a "responsible" cache owner.

Other have done a great job of advising you how to deal ith the spoiler log, I'd like to give you an idea about the inability to get out and hunt down those finds in the winter for whatever reason.

As I get older I find that I like the cold less and less therefore I don't geocache much in the Winter. I find that this is a perfect time to stay in the warmth and work on all of those mystery/puzzle caches that I tend to avoid the rest of the year.

You are lucky that your wife caches with you. Sit down with her and attack the puzzles that you can figure out and save the actual hunting for warmer weather.

You could encrypt the log now

Encrypting a log serves no purpose at all it just takes 2 seconds to decrypt anyway just like hints. Beside, the posted images are as big a spoiler as the log dated December 31st.

Well it kind of does, it encrypts it in the same way as his hint which also indicates where the cache is hidden and also takes 2 seconds to decrypt.

If it's the D1 home cache named with the location of the container (with a hint that matches too), I'd probably just email the finder.

Explain that it's easy enough without an outright spoiler, and please relog again without it.

If no response, delete it yourself.

This response is OK, so I don't mean to criticize it, but my take is that if the cache is so easy, then no one's going to have trouble finding it. People only read the logs if they need help. And, from the sounds of it, if they need help on this one, it's because the cache is missing, so the spoiler would let the seeker confirm that without wasting any more time on it. So I'd let it stand. Besides, it only takes a few newer logs before the spoiler will be far enough down in the log that few people will see it.

Other have done a great job of advising you how to deal ith the spoiler log, I'd like to give you an idea about the inability to get out and hunt down those finds in the winter for whatever reason.

As I get older I find that I like the cold less and less therefore I don't geocache much in the Winter. I find that this is a perfect time to stay in the warmth and work on all of those mystery/puzzle caches that I tend to avoid the rest of the year.

You are lucky that your wife caches with you. Sit down with her and attack the puzzles that you can figure out and save the actual hunting for warmer weather.

This is a terrific idea.

Well it kind of does, it encrypts it in the same way as his hint which also indicates where the cache is hidden and also takes 2 seconds to decrypt.

With the right plugins in your browser you don't even have to decrypt so it's useless to do so. I can't even remember when I had to decrypt manually but it must have been years ago.

If I need to delete a log because of a massive spoiler I first copy the log and then delete it.

Then I'll email the logger with a copy of their log, point out which bit I'd like removed and then invite them to relog without the spoiler.

This way the relog process shouldn't be too onerous for them and their log stays true to its original theme / content just without the spoiler.

If they take offence and just log found or tftc in protest I'm happy that I tried my best to find a friendly middle ground and move on with my life B)

For me, it depends on the Difficulty rating. If I rate a cache maybe D2 or higher, I would email/message the finder and ask for an edit within a certain time frame. If no response comes within a couple hours, I'd go ahead and delete it. If we're talking a D1 or D1.5, though...I doubt a spoiler is really spoiling anything. If the arrow points you to a light post in an empty parking lot, chances are there's no "spoiling" anything.

Every circumstance is different, though. I had a D3 that someone pretty blatantly spoiled in their log. I asked them to edit, they responded that I could delete it but doing so would somehow ruin the point of geocaching, or something to that effect. I was a bit confused by their response and promptly deleted the log, explaining that the ENTIRE POINT of giving it a higher difficulty rating was to make it more difficult to find.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Thanks everyone....I sent him a message to edit it...and yes...it's the home one. If he doesn't, I'll do it. Figured where it's stashed would be a part of the challenge of the find without being to hard...but his statement made it pretty much a dead give a way. Hoping come this spring I'll have the energy to get back into doing more geocaching....I see some new ones around us to hit....but until then...I plan on being a "responsible" cache owner.

There are some spoiler photos in the logs, too. If you want to maintain some basic difficulty, you should look at deleting some of the photos.

I would have deleted that log immediately and then emailed the cacher explaining that you are not supposed to "help" others with explicit spoilers.

I've seen logs like that from time to time around my area. "It's in the wall, third rock from the corner!" It's always beginners and I assume they just downloaded a few caches on their phone and don't really know anything about the game...

As for not getting out there, I've been feeling it too. 2016 was my lowest find count in eleven years, and December was my first month ever with not a single find. Part of it is the drudgery of sorting through the green slime on the maps to find something good, but that's another thread...