Garmin Oregon 450

zoesgrannyxyz

For various reasons I have not been caching for a while, but now can't download caches directly to my Garmin Oregon 450 GPS. When I try to 'send to GPS', it tells me Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Gives me an option to Download and Install Now. I try to do this, download, install, then says that it's not supported on my browser, only Internet Explorer. In the past, I could download caches onto mine and my grandkids GPSs(Etrex).

I have tried unsuccessfully to set up Pocket Queries and finish back in the same position.

I now have Windows 10 on my laptop, is this causing the problem?

Any advice, gratefully received.

The short answer:

The communicator plugin isn't supported by modern browsers.

You don't need it.

On a cache page, use the save GPX option instead and save it directly to your device. This will be in the E:/Garmin/GPX folder where E: is the drive letter for either your GPS or the SD card (if installed). Substitute the drive letter as necessary.

This is the same way to install pocket queries. Once you set up a query, select the day of the week you want it to run (usually the same day for example). You can then download the file. But it comes as a .zip file. You must unzip this file (just double click on it) to extract the .gpx files, which can be placed on the GPS or SD card via the same method above.

I recommend using Pocket queries so that you can load and update caches in bulk.

The short answer:

The communicator plugin isn't supported by modern browsers.

You don't need it.

On a cache page, use the save GPX option instead and save it directly to your device. This will be in the E:/Garmin/GPX folder where E: is the drive letter for either your GPS or the SD card (if installed). Substitute the drive letter as necessary.

This is the same way to install pocket queries. Once you set up a query, select the day of the week you want it to run (usually the same day for example). You can then download the file. But it comes as a .zip file. You must unzip this file (just double click on it) to extract the .gpx files, which can be placed on the GPS or SD card via the same method above.

I recommend using Pocket queries so that you can load and update caches in bulk.