Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series

Well, there are plenty of comments if you search for 62S......add Glonass, holds more caches, more memory and you have the 64. The new king of the hill I would think.

I don't think the added bling is worth the extra dollars at present though.....the extra cache capacity alone might make me go for one when the bugs are out and the price drops.

And bluetooth which is a big thing to many people.

Well, the 64s I had on order came in at my local REI, so I've had a little time to play with it. The notification bits for iOS are actually quite nice. Anything that shows up in the notification list is visible on the 64s as well, and the notification history can be browsed from the Garmin. Overall, exactly what I expected on this front, and it actually works. Total shock. The rest I would say is pretty much as expected. It is a 62s + Bluetooth LE + GLONASS.

Why'd I grab it when I already have an Oregon 600? Well, it rains a lot west of the Cascades (who knew?), which means I'd have to keep the 600 locked a lot of the time. I don't enter a lot of names/text, but I do like to interact with the device to capture data on the trail to integrate back into OSM and/or Northwest Trails. The notification support is somewhat useful out and about as I can throw the phone in a sealed bag and leave it in a day pack while not being completely unaware of the outside world (and I can use those notifications to remind me when I need to head back/etc). It is hard to say which I like better at this point. The Oregon does allow you to navigate around the UI a little more quickly depending on what you are trying to do, but the 64s is no slouch here with the key shortcuts making things quick. The speed I would say between them is close enough that it doesn't really matter which one you get. It really boils down to: touch + size + weakness in the rain vs buttons + more steps to navigate UI (in some cases).

Already saw one bug two bugs:

- Wireless didn't work at all on first boot. Rebooted it and wireless came up and worked fine.

- SD eject bug where it remounts itself is back. Considering this appears to be fixed for the 600, I can only say... WTH?

Haven't seen anything else in the bug department (yet), at least with the device. Still kinda annoyed at Garmin's 24k Topo errors (lakes winding up underneath land usage layers for example), which is annoying because I like the shading.

Edited by Kolenka

I had the chance to try the LiveTrack feature today. It's really nice! I sent multiple people an email inviting them to follow my live hike. The recipients get a nice looking email with a button to click that takes them to an aerial image with streets and POI's. They can watch my track in real-time! Please don't tell my wife this!!!!

Yogazoo, can you offer a comparison between LiveTrack and Glympse?

https://www.glympse.com

The only differences I can see are that:

1) My GPS on my phone reduces the battery life of my phone (now my Garmin can take over GPS function)

2) the GPS on my Garmin is generally more accurate than the GPS on my phone

3) If I'm using my GPS on the handlebars of my bike or while hiking anyway, now I don't have to use both my phone AND my GPS to send a livetrack. I can simply use one device and put my phone into a ziplock bag and stuff it in my pack (and forget about it).

4) There is no time limit on the Garmin Connect app for how long people can "follow" me. So if I'm going hiking all day people can follow me all day. (The Glympse app has a maximum of 4 hour time limit. Could just be reset but you might forget when to do it.)

Edited by yogazoo

I checked out the Live Track and it is cool. I like the fact that someone can follow my progress, especially when I am alone in remote locations. I don't think Live Track is real-time. When i checked it out it was sending update in near real-time which was about 5 minute intervals. Maybe it is a setting but I have not found it yet.

I have one bug. When I do the safe remove of USB device on windows it locks up on the page warning you that you are now on external power. Am unable to move the menu to TURN OFF so I have to do a hard shut down. Seems when I do this I lose pages I have added to my Page Sequence.

I will check on my MAC and see if I get the same lockup upon removing from the OS.

Edited by Geo Jedimeister

Well, there are plenty of comments if you search for 62S......add Glonass, holds more caches, more memory and you have the 64. The new king of the hill I would think.

I don't think the added bling is worth the extra dollars at present though.....the extra cache capacity alone might make me go for one when the bugs are out and the price drops.

The price won't drop much until the next generation is released.

The tile limit on the Etrex 20 is 3000!

What is the tile limit on the 64?

:huh:

Garmin hasn't updated their support pages for the limits on the 64 yet, and while I could guess, it wouldn't be a very good one. The 64 is supposed to handle more waypoints than even the Oregon 600, but it may still mean a 3000 tile limit like the 62, or we could finally see a limit of 4000 like the Oregons. Dunno yet. And I have yet to scour an intentially overloaded SD card to try to find one of those dropped tiles.

Got mine last week from GPS City. I've got an issue with the maps on the micro sd card they will not load !! The error message says "Can't authenticate maps. Contact Content seller for help"

Anybody else having this issue?

Took the latest firmware and still getting the error message.

The maps are the Garmin North American road maps and they work in a Oregon 450 and a Oregon 650 and in a Montana.

Got mine last week from GPS City. I've got an issue with the maps on the micro sd card they will not load !! The error message says "Can't authenticate maps. Contact Content seller for help"

The maps are the Garmin North American road maps and they work in a Oregon 450 and a Oregon 650 and in a Montana.

Garmin has changed the way maps are authenticated on the 64. The days of downloading and using "unlocked" City Navigator .img files are gone on the 64 and will soon be gone on the rest of the bunch as well.

If you have legitimately licensed and paid-for maps or open source (free) maps that won't authenticate then I would contact Garmin and let them know which map(s) your having an issue with. If you have an illegitimate City Navigator .img file then I'm pretty sure at the very least your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Edited by yogazoo

Garmin has changed the way maps are authenticated on the 64. The days of downloading and using "unlocked" City Navigator .img files are gone on the 64 and will soon be gone on the rest of the bunch as well.

If you have legitimately licensed and paid-for maps or open source (free) maps that won't authenticate then I would contact Garmin and let them know which map(s) your having an issue with. If you have an illegitimate City Navigator .img file then I'm pretty sure at the very least your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Lovely.....one more way to aggravate your customer base. I've got three of the CN cards I bought from Garmin....one more reason to stay with my 450 and 62's for a good long while.

Thanks for the reply yogazoo,I bought it from an Amazon seller and it is a copy. I contacted Garmin and they made a case # and they want my sales receipt, date it was purchased and they say it has an unlock # on it somewhere and they will be glad to help me !! Of course the seller says he does not have that info and that I don't need it, that the unit is defective.

Was wondering if anybody else that has a 64s is having the same issue before I order a new card from Garmin.

Lovely.....one more way to aggravate your customer base. I've got three of the CN cards I bought from Garmin....one more reason to stay with my 450 and 62's for a good long while.

Why would you be aggravated BAMBOOZLE? If you bought the cards from Garmin, and they're legit, they'll work just fine. Only the pirated stuff will no longer work. There's an excellent chance that eventually ALL Garmin units, including your 450 and 62, will verify maps the same way.

Thanks for the reply yogazoo,I bought it from an Amazon seller and it is a copy. I contacted Garmin and they made a case # and they want my sales receipt, date it was purchased and they say it has an unlock # on it somewhere and they will be glad to help me !! Of course the seller says he does not have that info and that I don't need it, that the unit is defective.

Was wondering if anybody else that has a 64s is having the same issue before I order a new card from Garmin.

Yeah, it sounds to me like you purchased something that has already been used up. The seller is of course wrong about your unit being defective and you might think about filing a complaint with Amazon over the purchase. This is the exact kind of thing Garmin is trying to curtail by introducing tougher map verification methods.

Edited by yogazoo

Why would you be aggravated BAMBOOZLE? If you bought the cards from Garmin, and they're legit, they'll work just fine. Only the pirated stuff will no longer work. There's an excellent chance that eventually ALL Garmin units, including your 450 and 62, will verify maps the same way.

I believe the concern is that 3rd party, home made maps will stop working....

Or maps that have been transferred from an "unused, broken GPS Device" to an sd card and sold over ebay.

Are there any reports of problems with open source maps and the new firmware?

Edited by geodarts

What exactly is going to happen to my existing units to change the way they verify maps ?

It would seem the only way for that to happen is to download a future software upgrade. Once my units behave properly I never upgrade further for fear of bugs.

It was my understanding that the poster who complained said he bought a REAL CN Map that his 64 won't read.

Or maps that have been transferred from an "unused, broken GPS Device" to an sd card and sold over ebay.

I haven't had any issues with my usual map set with the 64s. Some OSM data, some gpsfiledepot maps, etc. It all works like it did.

I haven't had any issues with my usual map set with the 64s. Some OSM data, some gpsfiledepot maps, etc. It all works like it did.

Is it reading a City Nav. map ?

What exactly is going to happen to my existing units to change the way they verify maps ?

It would seem the only way for that to happen is to download a future software upgrade. Once my units behave properly I never upgrade further for fear of bugs.

It was my understanding that the poster who complained said he bought a REAL CN Map that his 64 won't read.

These changes will never affect how I use my current Garmin units. I always create a back up of the update file each time I do a firmware update.

When you plug your unit into Garmin Connect to perform a update, a new .gcd file will be downloaded and placed inside the units storage. So all you have to do is copy that file over to your computer before you unplug the unit to perform the update.

I've kept all the firmware files released for the Garmin 62s since I've owned one, so I can always downgrade the firmware and stop updating the moment they decide to make a change that I don't agree with.

Edited by Bio True

OSM work fine on mine. Price will come down when the 66 is released.

interesting. i got a brand new 64st and tried to put morocco OSM on it and it says "cant authenticate maps". i do have the purchased CN Europe NT and it works fine, but no OSM? :(

Geo Jedimeister, what firmware version are you running? how are your OSM maps installed? mine are on my SD card in the "Garmin" folder like the others.

OSM work fine on mine. Price will come down when the 66 is released.

interesting. i got a brand new 64st and tried to put morocco OSM on it and it says "cant authenticate maps". i do have the purchased CN Europe NT and it works fine, but no OSM? :(

Geo Jedimeister, what firmware version are you running? how are your OSM maps installed? mine are on my SD card in the "Garmin" folder like the others.

That is what I fear. Anti-piracy measures usually end up hurting honest consumers as much or more than they hurt pirates and the old policies already drove consumers to piracy.

Heck, the restrictions Garmin has already placed on their maps is reason enough to drive many people to pirate maps. The way it works now, you can pay $100 + dollars and enjoy having a map that is only usable on one GPS forever, and be stuck dealing with being limited to one map on one SD card. Or you could pay nothing and have dozens of Garmin maps on one SD card for use at all times as needed. Garmin's own policies make doing it the legit way a suckers bet. I've already paid enough money for maps I can no longer use. Garmin is forcing people to the gpsunderground.

If what you say about OSM not working on the 64 is true, than that is just another case of honest consumers being hurt. They keep this up and I'll be forced to look for an alternative.

How are you installing the OSM? Downloading an IMG file directly to the GPS/SD card, or downloading a gmapi file and installing in into Basecamp/Map Manager first? Are you leaving the file name as gmapsupp.img, or changing it to something else?

i'm copying the IMG file straight to the SD card, is there another way to do it to make the maps work?

i am renaming from gmapsupp.img to something else (i have multiple maps i want to use, morocco and ireland).

Edited by christopher.spitler

That should work fine if they're in the Garmin folder on the card. I assume it's a card that's formatted FAT32, otherwise it won't work.

yeah, again, the device knows the map is there, but it's trying to authenticate the map (there is no authentication for it, it's from OSM). i called garmin and they're basically like "we dont support 3rd party maps". wtf is that?

That should work fine if they're in the Garmin folder on the card. I assume it's a card that's formatted FAT32, otherwise it won't work.

yeah, again, the device knows the map is there, but it's trying to authenticate the map (there is no authentication for it, it's from OSM). i called garmin and they're basically like "we dont support 3rd party maps". wtf is that?

The maps are not made by Garmin or an official MapSource Product Creator license holder, so they don't provide any support for them.

The maps are not made by Garmin or an official MapSource Product Creator license holder, so they don't provide any support for them.

not sure if y'all are understanding the real issue: in order to cut out piracy, garmin cut off all custom/3rd party maps to their devices with the gpsmap 64st.

not sure if y'all are understanding the real issue: in order to cut out piracy, garmin cut off all custom/3rd party maps to their devices with the gpsmap 64st.

But that does not seem to be the case as there are people reporting above that they are using 3rd party maps.

I specifically asked Garmin support last week if the new GPSmap64s had been changed as to how it authenticates its maps and the answer was yes!

I have a copy of City Navigator N America 2014.40 that works great in a Oregon 450 and a Oregon 650 and in a Montana 650 but will not authenticate in the GPSmap64s.Paid $30.00 from an Amazon supplier did not realize it was a copy until it showed up !

Have a friend that had the same results in the New Monteria.

Waiting on a litigate map card {$75.00) from GPS City to see how that works out ??

It does appear Garmin has stuffed the hole in its map piracy at least with the use of the City Navigator N. American card copies?

Edited by wascalley wabbit