When Asking a Troubleshooting Question

MountainWoods

Please pin to the top, since there is no FAQ for the How Do I...? forum.

When asking a troubleshooting question, please provide as full information as possible. Simply stating "thus-and-so is not working" does not let your fellow Geocachers know how to begin to answer your question.

Please provide this information, as well as anything else you can think of:

• Indicate whether you are a basic member or premium member.
  • Which device (GPSr or phone) are you using? What firmware version has it been updated to?
  • If the issue involved a computer, rather than just a phone, what operating system are you using, and which version? Is it Windows? MacOS? Linux? VAX/VMS? IBM MVS? Digitial RT11? (OK, so I'm showing my age...)
  • If a web browser is involved, which web browser(s) are you using, and which versions of the browsers are you using? (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.) It's usually a good idea to try the same steps on different browsers.
  • What exact steps were you doing? Don't say "I was trying to download a cache", but rather "I was on such-and-so page, my unit was plugged in and recognized by the OS, and I clicked on such-and-so link, then such-and-so button." or "I was using such-and-so app. and selected such-and-so."
    That is, give us the steps you went through so we can reproduce the situation leading up to the failure.
    Although they take more work, screen shots can be very helpful.
  • Tell us exactly what response you received (even if it was none; that is, your unit got "hung up"). "I got a pop-up message that said such-and-so" rather than "It didn't work."
  • Did the action work before but no longer works? Also, can you think of anything that changed on your device or computer that we should know about? (device firmware upgrade, computer OS upgrade, browser upgrade, whatever)

The folks here really do want to help you. But it is impossible if the question is "I cannot download Geocaches" or something as nebulous.

Information leads to information.

After you have gotten the problem fixed, please return to the thread where you asked the question and let the folks know that the problem is fixed. (I shouldn't have to mention that you'll probably want to thank them...)

'Twould also be a good idea to describe what you had to do to fix the problem so that future forum searchers can see, not only the symptom, but the solution.

Thanks!

Edited by MountainWoods
...And return to the Topic and type an update. What still didn't work, or what fixed it?

Yep.

I don't expect thanks, but it'd be nice to at least find out if an issue was fixed.

Quite a few with numerous posts, asking questions and never returning.

- Maybe start a tickle file on them and a month later, bump the thread with a, "you're welcome...". :laughing:

Excellent suggestions all. I do realize that we often don't read the sticky things. But at least (Pup Patrol) you'll have a post to point to (as you so often do!). :):):):)

I've edited the suggestions into the first post. Just need to pin it. But don't hesitate to offer other suggestions. I think I have so many edits or something before it gets locked.

Edited by MountainWoods

The doohickey didn't do that thing. Can you help me fix it?

Yep. This is an excellent example of the many questions we get that prompted this thread. :blink:

Wellllll, maybe they do mention Garmin or Magellen or geocache, but definitely not enough more than that to be able to figure out how to help 'em.

It's like going to a doctor and saying: Something hurts. :(

Say what?!? :rolleyes:

I've edited the suggestions into the first post. Just need to pin it. But don't hesitate to offer other suggestions. I think I have so many edits or something before it gets locked.

Isn't it 24 hours unless a mod helps out?

I'm going to bookmark this and point geocachers with vague questions here.

Yeah, I didn't know what the rules were for editing posts. But it is locked now.

The only thing I was going to change was that the second bullet item should probably say something like "If your issue is with a device ....", just as the following question starts "If your issue involved a computer". Not a big deal.

Thanks Chrysalides. I hope this helps us all -- requestor and answerer both.

I hope this helps us all -- requestor and answerer both.

I don't blame you for trying, but don't get your hopes up. Most people have no idea what's specific to their case, even if they're one of the rare people that recognizes that what they're doing isn't exactly the same as what everyone else is doing. That's why help tends to be interactive in the computer industry.

But it's always a good idea to try to raise awareness, even so.