The Nevada Thread

Jeepstr

To Altered 7151 and Jeepstr and MooseMob for that fact! , there is a GBES event on January 20th at the Silver Club in Sparks (see geocaching.com events calendar). I went to the Halloween Event and it was a lot of fun, you guys should go! Its cool putting the faces to the names.

I'm planning on coming. I haven't bought my ticket yet as there's still a possibility I may have to go out of town that weekend, although slim. It'd be nice to meet everyone and maybe meet some new people to cache with!

I'm planning on coming. I haven't bought my ticket yet as there's still a possibility I may have to go out of town that weekend, although slim. It'd be nice to meet everyone and maybe meet some new people to cache with!

We haven't bought our tickets yet either! Probably get the check off in the mail sometime before the week is over. We just started caching in June so we are relatively new to this too, so far everybody we have met have been really cool!. If you ever want to meet up, we are in! Bummed that I haven't been able to cache much these past couple of weeks :rolleyes: I will be so glad when next Monday is over, (Xmas takes up way too much time!) then we are headed over the hill to Sac/SF on our first cache-centric vacation! LOL! I have a lot of SF mapped out, can't wait!

We haven't bought our tickets yet either! Probably get the check off in the mail sometime before the week is over. We just started caching in June so we are relatively new to this too, so far everybody we have met have been really cool!. If you ever want to meet up, we are in! Bummed that I haven't been able to cache much these past couple of weeks :rolleyes: I will be so glad when next Monday is over, (Xmas takes up way too much time!) then we are headed over the hill to Sac/SF on our first cache-centric vacation! LOL! I have a lot of SF mapped out, can't wait!

I'd definitally be down to meet up and do some caching! My wife doesn't seem to get as excited about caching as I do, so I make quite a few solo runs. I've been hunting some at night after work on the way home, so much that I installed a light bar and some daylighters on the front of my truck :cool: Maybe next week after things calm down a bit we can meet up. I've been thinking of maybe forming a small team of cachers that have the same interest and time slots to cache.

There's a small chance that I will be moving from Portland Oregon to Las Vegas sometime in 2007.

What kind of culture shock should I expect?

When you ask about changes in culture, are you talking caching techniques or general living conditions?

As far as caching, expect full signals from satellites (cache within 10 feet of GZ), summer caching hours from 5:00 am to 10:00 am (otherwise it's too dang hot), and night caching.

There's a small chance that I will be moving from Portland Oregon to Las Vegas sometime in 2007.

When you ask about changes in culture, are you talking caching techniques or general living conditions?

Yes. :cool:

I seriously need a change of pace. And as far as I can tell, Vegas is the anti-Portland. :rolleyes:

Which means THAT should work nicely, change-of-pace-wise! :)

Also, don't get me wrong, I am not saying one city is worse than the other... I'm sayin' Vegas is the anti-Portland the way that white chocolate could be said to be the anti-chocolate in a sort of irreverent, fun way.

Both are good, and ultimately it's all up really to one's own individual taste. :)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Hey Altered, sounds like a great idea of getting together, maybe meet up at a pizza joint/Bully's or something of the like! My husband is starting to come around as far as getting into it, actually it was his idea to go to SF to do some cachin! And it gets him off the couch!

Yeah, I'd say Portland and Vegas are polar opposites, you won't ever get the rainy weeks on end, that's for sure! However when it does rain in Vegas PEOPLE DIE! OMG!, just really watch out for other drivers, the yellow light runners, (this seems to be a big sport down there!)oh, and low lying roads, you should be OK!

I haven't yet cached in Portland (really want to hit the "original" cache!) but I have in Vegas, awesome GPS reception and a lot of great big urban caches! Compared to Reno, Vegas urban caches are the best! Actually that was probably the most fun I have ever had in Vegas since I'm not much of a gambler or fan of the strip but I go there occasionally because work sends me there :rolleyes:

To Altered 7151 and Jeepstr and MooseMob for that fact! , there is a GBES event on January 20th at the Silver Club in Sparks (see geocaching.com events calendar). I went to the Halloween Event and it was a lot of fun, you guys should go! Its cool putting the faces to the names.

I am p planning on being there I will alert the pther geocachers I know!

Well there in absolutely no trees here <_< one other thing is move in the spring or fall not winter or summer. In the winter it can get pretty dang cold and in the summer in is hotter than butt.

I have cached at the Original cache, and collected a random rock from the site as a souvenier.

I think that whatever day I land in Vegas to live, I will bring that sacred rock and give it away at an event cache to the first person who buys me a pint of beer. <_<

Well if you hit Reno before you get to Vegas, I will definately buy a pint or two or three, heck, lets go for the pitcher! :ph34r: You don't even have to give up the rock! LOL! We are always up for meeting fellow cachers (so far I have only run into two (Big Geek Jimbeaux and Nexus-Wanderer) in my travels but met a bunch at the GBES Halloween Hunt, that was a blast!) and when there is beer involved, all the better! My baby sister graduates from UW in the spring, hoping to pass through the Portland area then!

Jeepstr and Altered, looking forward to meeting you at the 4th anniversary thing! If you want to get together before then but after the 1st, let me know!

:huh::P Jeez someone needs to put some replies onhere besides me :laughing::blink:

You're right. I am currently located in San Diego County, California, but I also have some property in Elko County, Nevada that I hope to be occupying in the near future. I was hoping to follow the goings-on in Nevada through this thread. I know there are forums for GBES and NGA but one forum is about all I have time for and right now Groundspeak is it.

I plan on being back in Elko this summer and I hope to hit either 10,000 or Slick-50 while I'm there. 10,000 is still waiting for its first find.

:laughing::huh: Jeez someone needs to put some replies onhere besides me :P:blink:

You're right. I am currently located in San Diego County, California, but I also have some property in Elko County, Nevada that I hope to be occupying in the near future. I was hoping to follow the goings-on in Nevada through this thread. I know there are forums for GBES and NGA but one forum is about all I have time for and right now Groundspeak is it.

I plan on being back in Elko this summer and I hope to hit either 10,000 or Slick-50 while I'm there. 10,000 is still waiting for its first find.

I agree, I frequent this forum a lot more than the GBES or NGA! (Not that there is anything wrong with either forum, I just think for a lot of people it is just easier coming here) Not much going on up here other than the frigid temps! So what are everyones Fav Nv caches so far? I haven't cached out near Elko yet, hoping to cover Carson City this upcoming weekend.

So far my personal fav's have been:

GCRQH0 "I aint touching that!" in Las Vegas, it made me laugh!

GCXN6R "Hoofocker" in Reno, the story behind it is pretty hilarious as well as its overwhelmingly obvious placement! (its huge and in plain site on a busy street)

GCYV70 "Take a Walk" in Sparks, liked the creative container

Yeah! Thats my cache, glad you liked it. I have a couple more that are similar that I hope to be placing soon.

Hoofocker is a great one too, whenever I drive by it I always get a smile on my face. All those people driving by that have no idea that its there, or what it is.

I just did GCYZB2 "Jack Jr. Memorial" the other day and really liked it, it was a fun cache that had some surprises even after you found the cache.

GCKH48 "All and all its just another" was a very clever hide.

I'm a real mechanical person, so I really enjoy caches that people have built to be great camouflage, and I enjoy alot of the puzzle caches as well.

We should all dedicate ourselves to keeping this Nevada thread going, I mainly only hit this site too so it'd be nice to have our own thread here. So who all is going to the dinner on saturday? I'm pretty sure I can make it, and hope to see everyone there. LostinReno, if you'd still like to get together sometime for some caches let me know, the more the merrier!

Edited by altered7151

I agree, I frequent this forum a lot more than the GBES or NGA! (Not that there is anything wrong with either forum, I just think for a lot of people it is just easier coming here) Not much going on up here other than the frigid temps! So what are everyones Fav Nv caches so far? I haven't cached out near Elko yet, hoping to cover Carson City this upcoming weekend.

My current favorites are Caliente Mountain Goat and SECHTS . Caliente Mountain Goat because it was one of my first caches and I had no idea what a 3.5/4 entailed but I did it. SECHTS is a favorite because I had been swimming at Panaca Springs countless times, but had never been tempted to climb the nearby hill. My wife and I had a wine and cheese picnic at the springs and then went up the hill. We found the cache shortly before sunset and then we sat and watched the sun go down, enjoying the sunset, the after effects of the wine, and the happiness of our fourth FTF of the day. Everything just combined to end a perfect day and a great Homecoming weekend.

Yeah! Thats my cache, glad you liked it. I have a couple more that are similar that I hope to be placing soon.

Hoofocker is a great one too, whenever I drive by it I always get a smile on my face. All those people driving by that have no idea that its there, or what it is.

I just did GCYZB2 "Jack Jr. Memorial" the other day and really liked it, it was a fun cache that had some surprises even after you found the cache.

I'm a real mechanical person, so I really enjoy caches that people have built to be great camouflage, and I enjoy alot of the puzzle caches as well.

We should all dedicate ourselves to keeping this Nevada thread going, I mainly only hit this site too so it'd be nice to have our own thread here. So who all is going to the dinner on saturday? I'm pretty sure I can make it, and hope to see everyone there. LostinReno, if you'd still like to get together sometime for some caches let me know, the more the merrier!

I was planning on attacking All and all its just another-this weekend (haven't decided if I am going to hit Carson City on Saturday or Sunday). Its funny about the Jack Jr. Memorial, we used to live out that way and ride our quads up there all the time, I know exactly where its at, just haven't made it up there since we started caching. I'm still going to the dinner, I see that Team Alamo says they are going, they have like 19,000 finds under their belt, that's insane! They are like the rock stars of geocaching! (Could I be a bigger dork? :grin: ) Mr.Lost can't make the dinner, so I am bringing my muggle friend who is interested.

I haven't placed any caches yet, although I did ask for an ammo can for Christmas and I did get one! :unsure: I had to sit at Christmas dinner and explain to my whole family what the can was for.

After caching in Vegas and how many cool urban ammo cans there are, I am still scoping for the perfect place.

Hey Jeepstr, good luck on the finals!

My current favorites are Caliente Mountain Goat and SECHTS . Caliente Mountain Goat because it was one of my first caches and I had no idea what a 3.5/4 entailed but I did it. SECHTS is a favorite because I had been swimming at Panaca Springs countless times, but had never been tempted to climb the nearby hill. My wife and I had a wine and cheese picnic at the springs and then went up the hill. We found the cache shortly before sunset and then we sat and watched the sun go down, enjoying the sunset, the after effects of the wine, and the happiness of our fourth FTF of the day. Everything just combined to end a perfect day and a great Homecoming weekend.

I love hearing input and actual stories about caches from actual people than getting them from someones random lists. I have these marked in my "ToDo" list for E.Nev, if we ever get out that way. I have a travel bug that my husband rescued from Saskatchewan that needs to make it to Rachel, NV, we've never been down that way either and are hoping to make it in the spring on our way to Vegas for the races.

I was planning on attacking All and all its just another-this weekend (haven't decided if I am going to hit Carson City on Saturday or Sunday). Its funny about the Jack Jr. Memorial, we used to live out that way and ride our quads up there all the time, I know exactly where its at, just haven't made it up there since we started caching. I'm still going to the dinner, I see that Team Alamo says they are going, they have like 19,000 finds under their belt, that's insane! They are like the rock stars of geocaching! (Could I be a bigger dork? :lol: ) Mr.Lost can't make the dinner, so I am bringing my muggle friend who is interested.

I haven't placed any caches yet, although I did ask for an ammo can for Christmas and I did get one! :) I had to sit at Christmas dinner and explain to my whole family what the can was for.

After caching in Vegas and how many cool urban ammo cans there are, I am still scoping for the perfect place.

I might be interested in Caching in Carson City this weekend............ :)

I love hearing input and actual stories about caches from actual people than getting them from someones random lists. I have these marked in my "ToDo" list for E.Nev, if we ever get out that way. I have a travel bug that my husband rescued from Saskatchewan that needs to make it to Rachel, NV, we've never been down that way either and are hoping to make it in the spring on our way to Vegas for the races.

I too will be in Las Vegas for the races. Last year was my first year there as a geocacher and I hit a few of the geocaches that were close to the track. Naturally, I plan to hit a few more this year. Is there a potential for an Event Cache this year or at least a get-together?

I was planning on attacking All and all its just another-this weekend (haven't decided if I am going to hit Carson City on Saturday or Sunday). Its funny about the Jack Jr. Memorial, we used to live out that way and ride our quads up there all the time, I know exactly where its at, just haven't made it up there since we started caching. I'm still going to the dinner, I see that Team Alamo says they are going, they have like 19,000 finds under their belt, that's insane! They are like the rock stars of geocaching! (Could I be a bigger dork? :) ) Mr.Lost can't make the dinner, so I am bringing my muggle friend who is interested.

I haven't placed any caches yet, although I did ask for an ammo can for Christmas and I did get one! :) I had to sit at Christmas dinner and explain to my whole family what the can was for.

I might be interested in Caching in Carson City this weekend............ :lol:

Do you want to meet up? Also if your going to be in Carson this weekend you may as well go to the GBES event in Sparks on Saturday night (see you already signed up!) Altered, you in? I say we meet up either Sat, or Sun. morning around 10ish? Now for a place...I don't know Carson that well, I know where the Harley dealer, Bullys, and Reds 395 are and that's about it. Email me through here too if you'd like!

Edited by LostinReno

I too will be in Las Vegas for the races. Last year was my first year there as a geocacher and I hit a few of the geocaches that were close to the track. Naturally, I plan to hit a few more this year. Is there a potential for an Event Cache this year or at least a get-together?

Last year was the first year for the races for us too, but we weren't caching yet :lol: hopefully this year will be warmer, it was bitter last year! I haven't heard of an event down there yet. They should do something!

I was planning on attacking All and all its just another-this weekend (haven't decided if I am going to hit Carson City on Saturday or Sunday). Its funny about the Jack Jr. Memorial, we used to live out that way and ride our quads up there all the time, I know exactly where its at, just haven't made it up there since we started caching. I'm still going to the dinner, I see that Team Alamo says they are going, they have like 19,000 finds under their belt, that's insane! They are like the rock stars of geocaching! (Could I be a bigger dork? :D ) Mr.Lost can't make the dinner, so I am bringing my muggle friend who is interested.

I haven't placed any caches yet, although I did ask for an ammo can for Christmas and I did get one! :( I had to sit at Christmas dinner and explain to my whole family what the can was for.

I might be interested in Caching in Carson City this weekend............ <_<

Hi John, Me and Vicky are going to Vegas first week in March and was checking out the thread to get a heads up on some caches and saw your post. :(:(

Edited by Team Fatman

We were there in November, in fact we saw a lot of Jahoadi and John signatures on almost all the ones we found! LOL! We had so much fun caching in Vegas, you can cover a lot of caches in a very short amount of time! The Convention Center Cache (GCYDK5) is a good one if you need or to drop travel bugs and I think it was called "A special Memory"(GCQ596) you go through the drive through at the wedding chapel and ask for the cache, I was with a coworker at the time, which made it even more funny! The people at the chapel are really nice though.

We were there in November, in fact we saw a lot of Jahoadi and John signatures on almost all the ones we found! LOL! We had so much fun caching in Vegas, you can cover a lot of caches in a very short amount of time! The Convention Center Cache (GCYDK5) is a good one if you need or to drop travel bugs and I think it was called "A special Memory"(GCQ596) you go through the drive through at the wedding chapel and ask for the cache, I was with a coworker at the time, which made it even more funny! The people at the chapel are really nice though.

Thanks I'll add them to my list. :rolleyes::blink:

FYI: only a few of us Nevadans frequent the GC forums, and even fewer check these threads.

the best places to get currnet and quick info from diverse groups are:

Greater Reno and Carson Valley: GBESGeocacher group on Yahoo

Las Vegas and beyond: www.NevadaGeocaching.com

Waymarking: Geocaching Tour Guides : Nevada Geocaching Association (NGA)

Thanks for the info, but as previously stated a lot of us only have time for one or two forums and as for me right now Groundspeak is about it for me.

FYI: only a few of us Nevadans frequent the GC forums, and even fewer check these threads.

the best places to get currnet and quick info from diverse groups are:

Greater Reno and Carson Valley: GBESGeocacher group on Yahoo

Las Vegas and beyond: www.NevadaGeocaching.com

Waymarking: Geocaching Tour Guides : Nevada Geocaching Association (NGA)

NevadaGeocaching.com is a good site but it is primarily Vegas oriented. GBES site is ok, it is Yahoogroups which is kind of a pain to navigate through if you aren't in it every day, I am a member of another Yahoogroups group,which works out fine if there are less than 10 people involved. I would love it if GBES had a regular forum. Hmmm, I may have to bring that up at the event tomorrow <_<

Sounds like I missed a good time on Saturday, but it was a worthwhile cause. I was able to interview and get a job working for the factory Dodge Viper race team this season. Its a part time fly-in mechanic/engineer position for now, which will hopefully move to a full time gig, so I've been on cloud 9 all weekend. Nothing like landing your dream job!

Hopefully we can get a caching meet together again soon. Possibly saturday morning in sparks?

Sounds like I missed a good time on Saturday, but it was a worthwhile cause. I was able to interview and get a job working for the factory Dodge Viper race team this season. Its a part time fly-in mechanic/engineer position for now, which will hopefully move to a full time gig, so I've been on cloud 9 all weekend. Nothing like landing your dream job!

Hopefully we can get a caching meet together again soon. Possibly saturday morning in sparks?

We actually ended up going on Sunday, congrats on the gig!

Hmmm, that sounds like a possible plan, I haven't covered the hills between Pyramid and Sun Valley yet either, me and NVGreenGecko were also planning on possibly doing a Sparks-Pyramid-Fernley and back loopy kind of thing either this weekend or next.

:P I'm not sure yet what I will be doing this Saturday. I don't have Sparks loaded in My GPS unit (but I do have ones jus outside Sparks. I guess my answer is maybe. I'll get back with you <_<

If this weekend doesn't work, next weekend would be great as well. I have a wedding to go to saturday evening so I wouldn't be able to dedicate too much time. I've hit quite a few in the hills off of pyramid, but if you guys would want to hit them I'd be happy to go along. The loop out pyramid highway to the lake, then back to Wadsworth/Fernley looks to be packed with caches. And back to sparks on 80 has quite a few. I think we could beat that record of 21 pretty easy [:drama:]

If this weekend doesn't work, next weekend would be great as well. I have a wedding to go to saturday evening so I wouldn't be able to dedicate too much time. I've hit quite a few in the hills off of pyramid, but if you guys would want to hit them I'd be happy to go along. The loop out pyramid highway to the lake, then back to Wadsworth/Fernley looks to be packed with caches. And back to sparks on 80 has quite a few. I think we could beat that record of 21 pretty easy [:drama:]

If this weekend doesn't work, next weekend would be great as well. I have a wedding to go to saturday evening so I wouldn't be able to dedicate too much time. I've hit quite a few in the hills off of pyramid, but if you guys would want to hit them I'd be happy to go along. The loop out pyramid highway to the lake, then back to Wadsworth/Fernley looks to be packed with caches. And back to sparks on 80 has quite a few. I think we could beat that record of 21 pretty easy [:D]

Altered-I sent you an email

We've actually have bagged most of the ones in the Patrick/Waltham Way area, but I am willing to go there again, I think there are a few we missed, I think there might even be some Safe1 caches out there that we have missed! I love the Safe1's :D John, if your in town give us a call!

If this weekend doesn't work, next weekend would be great as well. I have a wedding to go to saturday evening so I wouldn't be able to dedicate too much time. I've hit quite a few in the hills off of pyramid, but if you guys would want to hit them I'd be happy to go along. The loop out pyramid highway to the lake, then back to Wadsworth/Fernley looks to be packed with caches. And back to sparks on 80 has quite a few. I think we could beat that record of 21 pretty easy [ :P ]

We've actually have bagged most of the ones in the Patrick/Waltham Way area, but I am willing to go there again, I think there are a few we missed, I think there might even be some Safe1 caches out there that we have missed! I love the Safe1's :D John, if your in town give us a call!

:D Altered.... I'm willing to drive out that way tomorrow (Sat) morning. If you give me coords (the right ones this time LostinReno :o ) I will meet you. I will probably have to depend on your info to cache as i won't have any loaded in my GPS unit. We don't have to be out all day if you have awedding to go to. I do like to start early :D

If this weekend doesn't work, next weekend would be great as well. I have a wedding to go to saturday evening so I wouldn't be able to dedicate too much time. I've hit quite a few in the hills off of pyramid, but if you guys would want to hit them I'd be happy to go along. The loop out pyramid highway to the lake, then back to Wadsworth/Fernley looks to be packed with caches. And back to sparks on 80 has quite a few. I think we could beat that record of 21 pretty easy [ :angry: ]

:D Altered.... I'm willing to drive out that way tomorrow (Sat) morning. If you give me coords (the right ones this time LostinReno :laughing: ) I will meet you. I will probably have to depend on your info to cache as i won't have any loaded in my GPS unit. We don't have to be out all day if you have awedding to go to. I do like to start early :angry:

How's it going? Sounds like your making alot of friends. :angry::angry::angry:

Okay, I know I'm coming across as a flake, but whats the term... "sometimes life gets in the way". I have the wedding to go to today and have friends coming in from out of town that will stay with us. Plus we have to be there by 3 and I thought it wasn't till 5. Good thing my wife keeps track of stuff like that :laughing: So... Lets make a plan for next saturday, I have nothing going on and will make solid plans for the day. We could maybe meet up half way between reno and fallon, or just meet here in town. I had brought up going to the UNR area with Lostinreno, there seems to be quite a concentration of caches in the area. I usually have my laptop with me, and I could load a bunch of caches into it and bring it along. If you have a cable for your gps we could download them to it so everyone has the waypoints.