garmin extrex 10 - loading gpx

Captain__Moroni

Ok, I have just decided that i will probably buy the garmin extrex 10, so that i can go paperless geocaching. Before i make my decision to buy it, i want to know: HOW specifically do I load the .gpx files onto it? Do i have to use GSAK? Or is there something simpler i could use? (because GSAK doesnt really like my computer much...it keeps crashing) Would EasyGPS work?

For those who want to know, I am willing to become a premium member in order to access the .gpx pocket guery files onto it.

Thanks for your time and help!

Ok, I have just decided that i will probably buy the garmin extrex 10, so that i can go paperless geocaching. Before i make my decision to buy it, i want to know: HOW specifically do I load the .gpx files onto it? Do i have to use GSAK? Or is there something simpler i could use? (because GSAK doesnt really like my computer much...it keeps crashing) Would EasyGPS work?

For those who want to know, I am willing to become a premium member in order to access the .gpx pocket guery files onto it.

To answer your question directly, you do not need GSAK. You simply put the GPX files into the [GPS]/Garmin/GPX folder by dragging and dropping. If you want hints, discriptions and other details you will need to be a premium member so you can get the GPX file instead of the LOC. When you purchase a Garmin, Groundspeak will give you a 30 day premium membership free so you can try it.

Now something to think about regarding the e10. It is a good device but severely limited by the B&W screen and insufficient memory to load a useable map. If you have any thoughts that you are going to make moderate to heavy use of the the GPS, save up a little extra money and go with the e20. There are also a couple of very good GPS units that Garmin is retiring that can be found on closeout sales that are near the price of the e20 that you might want to consider. I don't remember the particulars but I'm sure someone will jump in with suggestions.

Lastly, to access the web site, you should use the Firefox browser to avoid issues in Internet Explorer.

I agree with GeoTrekker26, the Etrex10 has no map at all so you are heading towards a cache, it shows as being 20m away but between you and the cache is a rather large river/railway line (you get the picture). Better to save a little longer.

Then if you are not a premium member I believe you load the caches one at a time but IE can have issues.

If you are a premier member you can run pocket queries to run up to 1000 caches at a time onto your unit, there are lots and lots of tips and threads on how to do this on this forum without too much of a search.

I believe your EasyGPS question was prompted by something I posted for your CacheMate question in a different thread. That was when you were looking to keep using your current NON-Paperless GPS unit. You will be happier with the right paperless unit (NOT the etrex 10). EasyGPS can still be used to load caches to the old GPS as a backup device for you, or to share it with a new Geo-friend for a day out caching. For a newer paperless GPS, EasyGPS is not needed at all. However you can also use it just to open a GPX file and study the cache data in it. It is free. When you get that Premium Membership, check it out.