XXX Cache events - where will it stop?

I'm sure this topic won't go down well, but lots of people feel strongly about it, so something has to be said...

Lately several people have told me they don't plan on attending any more camping type events. The reason? They are uncomfortable about being there due to the trend of swinging/bed hopping and general display of loose morals which some cachers display.

Personally I feel if you want to indulge in that type of activity then thats up to you, but to do it at caching events where the majority of attendees are not there for that purpose is somewhat selfish, especially as these actions are now making people who would normally attend turn away from the events.

I'm sure some people will be totally in the dark as to what I am talking about, but enough people are in the know for me to feel that this issue has become public. The fact that people are aware of this and know it is going on means the people who are choosing to do it are not keeping it quiet or being discreet enough about their actions. Geocaching is meant to be a family friendly activity, and such behaviour hardly falls into this category.

If people want to throw copious amounts of DNA around in the company of cachers thats their decision, but please do it in the privacy of your own homes, not in the tent next to/belonging to another team of cachers at an event. It disrupts geocaching, brings a tainted feel to events, causes friction between cachers and will no doubt end up with (possibly innocent) people getting hurt.

Unless they are swapping bodily fluids at your feet as you try to roast a marshmellow you normally have to work pretty hard to know who's doing what to who if they are even a wee bit discrete about it.

Is the problem they are not discrete enough, or that the people in the know are pushing their noses too far into the wall of the tent?

Unless they are swapping bodily fluids at your feet as you try to roast a marshmellow you normally have to work pretty hard to know who's doing what to who if they are even a wee bit discrete about it.

Is the problem they are not discrete enough, or that the people in the know are pushing their noses too far into the wall of the tent?

When is this moral relativism going to stop? Of course it's the fault of the person that has to witness the degernate behavior. It seems to me its okay to say "No mindless group fornication at geocaching events". Do we have to spell out everything for some people? Do we really have to list out all the non-family oriented behaviors that shouldn't be taking place at events? Can people not figure this out?

RK - You are way out in the left field on this one. Its not a question of how discreet they are being, it's the fact that they are even doing this crap at an event. If I was at the event, I'd get a group of other cachers that have decency to drag them out by their ears.

Hard to be discrete in a tent. I've not been privy to these rumours of sleeping-bag hopping harlots and geo-studs, but I've no doubt that Michael writes from a position of genuine concern. I'm a big believer in people's private lives remaining private, and adults being allowed to do adult things, so perhaps there could be a special area set aside for those whose love is intents (sic) away from the more family-freindly zone.

I've not been to a camping type event yet, so I'm squeaky clean (so to speak...). Anyhow, I think comments already raised saying that if people are discrete about it and what not then surely its not that much of a problem? I mean, let's be honest. If the camp site were not to be full of geocachers, it would be full of other people who are also on holiday / having break / enjoying time with someone special / hoping to meet someone 'special'. ;)

However, I do think that the more than reasonable request about being discrete is a modest request that everyone should try and accommodate. It would be dreadful to the geocaching community in general if the camping events were to diminish in popularity.

Hard to be discrete in a tent. I've not been privy to these rumours of sleeping-bag hopping harlots and geo-studs, but I've no doubt that Michael writes from a position of genuine concern. I'm a big believer in people's private lives remaining private, and adults being allowed to do adult things, so perhaps there could be a special area set aside for those whose love is intents (sic) away from the more family-freindly zone.

Well, it would be important to plan out the geocaching event properly... If you're going to set aside an area for swingers, does that mean that we are setting aside areas for various perversions or just group all the perversions together away from the people that are there for geocaching. You've got to be kidding me right? How about wait until you get home. Where has the common sense in this world gone?

Having gone to three camping events last year, two on my own and one with my family, I can safely say I haven't a clue what incidents you are referring to.

At all three I was made most welcome by some lovely people, many of who have become good friends of mine.

Yes, much merriment was had on quite a few nights, but there was certainly no behaviour anywhere as loud or bad as you'd find in your average City Centre on a Friday night.

I'm looking forward to attending more of these events this year, and am happy taking my wife and child to them.

What about personal freedoms and personal responsibilities?

Would there be a problem with a married couple sharing a marital double sleeping bag at an event? If not, the rest of the discussion in one of 'is it right for person X to sleep with person Y?' - and if X and Y are both consenting adults, it's no one's business but theirs. So long as the noise doesn't keep anyone awake...

I suspect the suggestion of perversion is the bait for an argument. I'm not taking that bait ;)

Edit for spelling

Edited by Simply Paul

Hear Hear, Cryptiks I say! People should of course be allowed to do whatever they like but I would much rather they do not do it right in my face! I hope that the people I have spoken to , who have voiced concerns about this to me, realise that the overwhelming majority of UK geocachers (and interlopers from OR!) find this sort of stuff as distasteful as they do.

Ok right I have been to some of the camping events with my kids aged 10 and 3 , and as much as i dont like what has been going on at these events , i can say i only found out about it through GOSSIP and not through actions that i have witnessed or heard first hand ..............

i also feel that this thread has no merit on being here for the followin reasons

1 the folk involved are not going to come in here to be riped apart and "outed"

2 it will only serve to put off fellow family cachers from attending these kind of events wich would be a disaster as this kind of event is fantastic and has a power to bring people in to the same hobby together in the right way

3 the inocent people who got cought up in this may be trying to get things back on track and i dont think this thread is going to help that

all i can say is that what is in the past is just that IN THE PAST

and if some one has upset you doing what ever then take it up with them in private ! ! ! ! !

like i did say i took my kids had a great time lots of caching lots of mates made

LONG LIVE EVENTS

As you all know the contents of Groundspeak forums are required to be kept "family friendly". This topic is by its very nature more "adult" orientated and as such it causes me concern.

However I shall not do anything precipitate at the moment as the original post raised a genuine concern. I have never been to a camping Event so have no first hand knowledge of such activities. Neither have any concerns been expressed to me as a reviewer/publisher of camping events.

I agree with Simply Paul that what consenting adults get up to in private should be nobody's business but theirs. However if a minority are disturbing other geocachers to such an extent that they are feeling forced to stop going to events then that IS a concern to me and I am sure it would be a concern to Groundspeak.

I will allow this thread to continue for the moment but should it degenerate from the currently civilised discussion I will close it.

Thanks, Lactodorum

It's up to individual adults what they choose to do in the spare time (I tend to cache and drool over motorbikes that without a late growth spurt or stilts i'm never going to fit on!) but there are some things that really should be kept private.

If people choose to spend the weekend swinging/bed hopping with each other, maybe they should arange their own 'adult fun' weekend instead of using a cache bash? ;)

What do they think of cachers up and down the country hearing all about their sexual exploits?

It's up to individual adults what they choose to do in the spare time (I tend to cache and drool over motorbikes that without a late growth spurt or stilts i'm never going to fit on!) but there are some things that really should be kept private.

If people choose to spend the weekend swinging/bed hopping with each other, maybe they should arange their own 'adult fun' weekend instead of using a cache bash? ;)

What do they think of cachers up and down the country hearing all about their sexual exploits?

The question is not whether the behavior is appropriate, but whether it is appropriate at a geocaching event. I wouldn't want my children around ANYONE doing that sort of thing, whether they be a married 80 year old couple or a group of 5 swingers. I don't think sexual behavior of any kind is appropriate at an event where children could be present. Wait till you get home.

Just remind me who has had a bad experience at a camping event this year?

and

if the well educated bunch of people I've had the pleasure of meeting through geocaching is a representation of the rest of the people in the game then surely their intellect will tell them not to believe hearsay!

Sarah x

The question is not whether the behavior is appropriate, but whether it is appropriate at a geocaching event. I wouldn't want my children around ANYONE doing that sort of thing, whether they be a married 80 year old couple or a group of 5 swingers. I don't think sexual behavior of any kind is appropriate at an event where children could be present. Wait till you get home.

But isn't that what i just said - that it isn't appropriate at caching events? Hence my comment that if anyone wants to bed hop etc that they do it at their own time and place.

with my kids aged 10 and 3 , and as much as i dont like what has been going on at these events , i can say i only found out about it through GOSSIP

look i dont condone (need a spell checker) what has been so called going on

but as i say it has only become public because of gossip no one has flattened any grass at 3pm in the middle of kids dinner time or pushed me out of the way so they could get to the nearest bed

in fact i knew none of this untill i was safe at home reading e-mails

i agree with you saying keep it at home

but still dont feel you cant take your kids to these events i mean if you were to go on a campsite any ware you dont actualy know whats going on around you do you

?????????????????????????????????????/

Ok right I have been to some of the camping events with my kids aged 10 and 3 , and as much as i dont like what has been going on at these events , i can say i only found out about it through GOSSIP and not through actions that i have witnessed or heard first hand ..............

i also feel that this thread has no merit on being here for the followin reasons

1 the folk involved are not going to come in here to be riped apart and "outed"

2 it will only serve to put off fellow family cachers from attending these kind of events wich would be a disaster as this kind of event is fantastic and has a power to bring people in to the same hobby together in the right way

3 the inocent people who got cought up in this may be trying to get things back on track and i dont think this thread is going to help that

OK here we go...

To be fair I dont think the Cryptik Souls Crew is looking for a witch hunt or would want anyone to be ripped apart by a geocaching "angry mob", I do think that he is a concerned geocacher/parent who is trying to deduce whether his concerns are solitary or whether other cachers feel as he does.

On the flipside of putting people off with this type of thread, would it be better for new geocampers to attend events and then hear the "gossip" only to feel out of place and awkward at geocamping events due to this kind of hearsay.. most probably not!

We would hate for camping events to take a nosedive due to any kind of inappropriate behaviour as we expect to see a bloody good turn out at our Carry On Camping 2007 event, but maybe some things have to be talked about rationally so we can all understand where the boundries are (if there are any boundries at all).

House Of Boo

I seem to recall that there were some complaints at Shrops about my snoring. Perhaps we should not allow folks with sleep apnia at events either.

Seriously, Lynn and I have attended several camping events and have not been exposed to/been aware of anything that I would consider to be inappropriate. Are we suggesting that a couple cannot 'enjoy' themselves at one of these events? Ok, obviously, folks should try not to disturb their fellow campers but, I think, this goes without saying.

At Shrops we initially did our best to arrange the campsite such that the singles were all together and the family folks were in a different area to allow for disturbances etc. Weather conditions, flying tents etc. conspired against us however. But having said that, once again, Lynn and I were not aware of any 'bumps in the night'.

When we were looking for a campsite for the afore-mentioned event, we came across many that only allowed families. No singles were permitted. This obvously wouldn't work for many of our fellow geocachers.

Finally, I suspect most children should/would be well asleep by the time any adult activity gets underway.

Martin

I don't think sexual behavior of any kind is appropriate at an event where children could be present. Wait till you get home.

I'm sure no one is suggesting that people are "at it" around the camp fire, or anywhere else in public for that matter. Anything else that goes on under canvas by anyone else on the same campsite is out of anyone else's control anyway (geocachers or otherwise).

The only place one has complete control of what ones children see/hear is inside ones own home.

...When is this moral relativism going to stop? Of course it's the fault of the person that has to witness the degernate behavior. It seems to me its okay to say "No mindless group fornication at geocaching events". Do we have to spell out everything for some people? Do we really have to list out all the non-family oriented behaviors that shouldn't be taking place at events? Can people not figure this out?

RK - You are way out in the left field on this one. Its not a question of how discreet they are being, it's the fact that they are even doing this crap at an event. If I was at the event, I'd get a group of other cachers that have decency to drag them out by their ears.

If you go out of your way to observe the behavior, you are a peeping tom and that's wrong. If you assume and gossip, that too is wrong. If it's blatant and in your face, it's a valid point.

Most people I know who tend to know these kind of things are not moral pillars of their community any more than the people they talk about. It's hard to take a thread like this at face value. It comes across more like grandstanding than righteous indignation.

I’m not saying the OP is wrong, or right. I don’t have that information. Just that they need to do more than throw out an accusation.

I’m not saying the OP is wrong, or right. I don’t have that information. Just that they need to do more than throw out an accusation.

I suppose I am making some assumptions. After reading the rest of the posts, it doesn't sound like the behavior was out in public. The OP made it sound like there was some kind of wild geocaching orgy of sorts.

We have been to severalteen camping events, and I can honestly say the only 2 people I have ever slept with at an event are my husband and Michelle from Scooby, Scrappy and MP (now there's a gossip starter) :D:laughing::D

This is all news to me!! :D

I've never seen or heard anything inappropriate any where near any children, and I am still quite happy for myself and my family to attend any future camping events. B):D

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

i don't think it is possible to do anything other than request that singles and the so inclined base themselves away from a designated family area. the family area will be more to keep the kids from late night noise as much as anything.

what sanctions would you suggest? :laughing:

consenting adults and all that.

What great gossip, I must try and get myself into the loop more!! :laughing::D

Seriously, the only thing that I can think of that would or could annoy anyone is that if the noise was at a level that you knew exactly what was going on. I think in such a case I would quietly go and tap on the tent and say "I can hear you and so can the kids". Unless they really didn't give a toss, I would bet they would either stop through sheer embarrassment or would be a lot more quiet.

Otherwise it really has nothing to do with anyone else what any consenting adult does!!

OK... so I've been away for a week, and therefore have not had my 2 penneth yet... :D

I have attended tonnes of caching camping events this summer, in fact - they kept me sane!!

I too only know about what has gone on from gossip, and from the people involved actually telling me what has happened. To them, I say - fair play - if you're single and find a partner that shares our hobby - then Yay - you've done more than I have!! Quite frankly, I'm jealous!

However, the problem comes when one of the parties is not single... but again - it's their lives, nobody elses. Nobody is pimping anyone out at events, and all parties take part in whatever behaviour they do because THEY WANT TO!!

I'm afraid I'm a bit of an event addict, and tend to stay up until the wee hours, and have STILL yet to witness any such behaviour happening. Those who HAVE indulged, certainly are not forcing it on others.

I also know that SOME of the "worst behaved" cachers from last summer have actually found their "someone special" :laughing: and are making a go of it... good luck to them, you have my best wishes.

Camping trips are an excellent way to meet other cachers and go caching with different people, and that's exactly what you'll find if you go to a camping event. I REALLY don't think you'll find randm cachers stood on street corners plying their wares!!

Look... if you took your family to ANY campsite, would you ask the owner to make sure that everybody slept in their own tent? no...

Lighten up - we've not all met Mr Right yet you know!!!

Oh - and just for the record.... I've been to loads of camping events last year and never once saw any action... maybe I need to change my deodorant!

:D

Edited by HazelS

As regards this practice,then live and let live I say.

It does conjure up an idea for a Woganesque Janet & John story....

Janet is in the kitchen making some cakes

"John,where are you going?" asks Janet

"I'm going for a walk with my friend and his gps" replies John from the other room.

"What for?" Janet inquires

" We are going to find a box and when we find it we are going to put our things in it" says John,clutching his latest freebie from McDonalds.

"I hope this next box is in a better condition than the last one.It was soaking wet!" he explains. " I hope things don't get too messy"

"My friend has done this before and he's going to show me how I can do it too! By the end of the day we might be able to put our things in nearly 10 different boxes!"

"It's quite normal for people to do this in groups " says John

Janet looks angry

Janet is holding a frying pan

See Janet swing the frying pan at Johns head...

Run John,Run!!

I wonder how long it will be until www.geoswinging.com becomes a registered website?

I have not yet been to a camp event, but was hoping to organise one later in the year.

Having just finished Uni could i put a slightly different slant on things please.

When at uni alchohol = fun times. Fun times normally = 2 people 1 room.

Now i am not saying that this is appropiate for a cache event, but i do belive that at some events last year cachers who didnt want to be around the drunkeness and adrenoline opumped individuals camped in a group away from the party animals who wanted to drink copious amounts of drink and then disappear into the woods for a while.

I for one would be happy to drink myself silly at a camp event (knowing i didnt have to be up reasonably early in the morning). But if others didnt want to be around it - u have to be there!

I don't think this discussion is at all appropriate. As with many other forums; kids, teenagers etc... read these pages, how would you explain the content of this one to your kids ?

A forum I moderate on is a similarly family read site. This would would be closed down quickly and get addressed outside of the public area.

In some ways, this thread now paints a poor picture of camping events (is it any different at events where hotels are used?) and puts a potential slur on the whole idea. Yes, I appreciate there's two sides to every story and some, or all, of this could just be rumour - but "no smoke without fire" and rumours hurt the innocent more than the truth.

I don't think this discussion is at all appropriate. As with many other forums; kids, teenagers etc... read these pages, how would you explain the content of this one to your kids ?

I've not attended any sleepover events.

But in seeking a Landowners permission for cache placement had to convince him that we were a respectable crowd and were in effect "self policing". He was particurlarly concerned that his land and buildings had been used by unsavory individuals in the past.

I consider this thread in its own right to be in effect part of this self policing policy. A concern has been rasied and is receiving an airing. Sell it to your children in this context, the written word could be less exposing than a visual confrontation!

This thread also gives an insight to particurlar teams outlook and perhaps as such you could request a pitch close to like minded individuals :laughing::D

Sell it to your children in this context, the written word could be less exposing than a visual confrontation!

Totally agree, but why should there be a risk a visual confrontation at a family orientated, organised, event ?

Why should I need to explain something like this to young children with an inquisative mind.

The actual activity being discussed and it's moral position in life has nothing to do with Geocaching (except, in this case, that it's been raised as an issue at a Geocaching event).

(Yes, I do know where the "ignore thread" button is.)

Gee whiz.

I miss out on all the fun.

I feel your pain. I was quite disappointed when I realized this was a UK thread. I was set to sign up for the next camp out. The last 3 camp outs I've attended have not been nearly as entertaining.

BTW - who gets to determine what "family-friendly" is? Is is the lowest common denominator prude?

I'm sure this topic won't go down well, but lots of people feel strongly about it, so something has to be said...

I'm sure some people will be totally in the dark as to what I am talking about, but enough people are in the know for me to feel that this issue has become public. If people want to throw copious amounts of DNA around in the company of cachers thats their decision, friction between cachers and will no doubt end up

I heard about this from another cacher.a certain female cacher's name was mentioned, so this thread has now made me think it is happening and not just idle gossip :laughing:

Nige

Edited by The Northumbrian

There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made in this thread based on one persons veiled hints.

If people KNOW FIRST HAND of anything untoward and/or unsavoury happening, please come foreward and state what your concerns are.

Otherwise this debate will remain a troll feeding party.