Delorme challenge

I live in Missouri and the idea of completing the Delorme challenge and/or the Missouri County challenge is intriguing (although a VERY long way off).

I understand how to track the counties by means of www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, but how does one accomplish the same for Delorme? There's gotta be an easier way than looking at one's list of 'my finds', then translating it to the paper Delorme map... What am I missing? :laughing:

beaker3012

Hello!

I live in Missouri as well and completed both the Missouri County and Delorme challenges this past April. Both are challenges you just have to get out and do...don't think about them, because they become really daunting if you do.

If you use GSAK, there is a macro that you can use to track your Delorme progress. It will list the pages you have done and will show a Google Earth map as well that shows your completion. You can get the macro here.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I used mygeocachingprofile.com for the map image that I copied to my Photobucket account and then pasted the link into the notes section of the GSAK FindStatGen3 macro so it would show on my profile. I also used the GSAK Delorme macro to keep track of all my finds while doing the Virginia DeLorme Challenge.

OK, I undersztand what the county challenge is but what is the DeLorme Challenge? I have been caching for about 3-4 months and I set my profile using mygeocachingprofile.com and it showed that I have completed part of my home state that I have never cached in. Can someone please point me in the direction of info on DeLorme or please explain.

Thanks

OK, I undersztand what the county challenge is but what is the DeLorme Challenge? I have been caching for about 3-4 months and I set my profile using mygeocachingprofile.com and it showed that I have completed part of my home state that I have never cached in. Can someone please point me in the direction of info on DeLorme or please explain.

Thanks

The DeLorme company publishes topographic maps by state. They are in a format similar to the large road atlases with which you may be familiar.

The challenge is to " get " one cache per page of the particular state in question.

A lady cacher in N. Calif. put out the first challenge a number of years ago for the old DeLorme atlas for N. Calif. The concept has spread to many states.

I will pull the info on the original DeLorme Challenge from the cobwebs for you reference and shoot it to you

The First DeLorme Challenge was by:

Haicoole, the challenge was published 01/01/2004

California DeLorme Challenge ( Northern ) GCHANH

An even larger complexity is the fact that the DeLorme company no longer publishes the Northern Calif. Atlas sooooooooooo one more twist has been added to the challenge.

Hello!

I live in Missouri as well and completed both the Missouri County and Delorme challenges this past April. Both are challenges you just have to get out and do...don't think about them, because they become really daunting if you do.

If you use GSAK, there is a macro that you can use to track your Delorme progress. It will list the pages you have done and will show a Google Earth map as well that shows your completion. You can get the macro here.

I never looked much into it, but a cache that I had near an interstate got armchaired a few times by users "completing" the Delorme Challange as they quoted in their logs. I have another cache in Virgina just a few miles away from Kentucky and Tennessee that gets a few logs from the Delorme Challange cachers. From my experiences with my cache listings it seems more of an armchair event.

Hello!

I never looked much into it, but a cache that I had near an interstate got armchaired a few times by users "completing" the Delorme Challange as they quoted in their logs. I have another cache in Virgina just a few miles away from Kentucky and Tennessee that gets a few logs from the Delorme Challange cachers. From my experiences with my cache listings it seems more of an armchair event.

It's not.

Hello!

It's not.

Agreed.

Hello!

It's not.

Agreed.

Yep.

Hello!

It's not.

Agreed.

Yep.

The listing that I spoke of is archived, and yeah. It got armchaired (finder did not sign log anyway). This was the first time I ever heard of the Delorme challange. I have another listing that seems to be part of it from what I gather from this finders log. "This gets Lee on the county list as well as the most distant DeLorme page".

I know that this finder is for real. I just think it is in bad form to cheat in challanges or armchair log listings. They say that you only cheat yourself, but CO's are supposed to delete bogus logs. So whatever.

From my experiences with my cache listings it seems more of an armchair event.

Not in my state. So I don't think it's a problem with the cache.

And so to stay on topic the owner works very closely with people to verify the requirements. Contact your local owner to find out the best method.

Edited by BlueDeuce

And so to stay on topic the owner works very closely with people to verify the requirements. Contact your local owner to find out the best method.

I don't know much about the subject. Just that some of my listings seem to be part of the Delorme challange. What is it anyway, and how/why are some of MY listings part of it?

I don't know much about the subject. Just that some of my listings seem to be part of the Delorme challange. What is it anyway, and how/why are some of MY listings part of it?

It's finding a cache located within the map parameters on a page in the magazine. Are you saying you know people didn't find your cache?

Edit: clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Have you ever seen a DeLorme atlas? There is one for every state; it divides up the state into grids, and each page has a chunk of the grid. The DeLorme challenge is to find a cache on every page of the atlas. nebraska, for example has 68 or 69 pages, I think; Rhode Island has nine or so.

Your caches are physically located within a state, and therefore can be used to claim a part of the grid, or a particular page. Same as if someone were doing the County Challenge and used your cache to claim a particular county. That's all.

It's finding a cache located within the map parameters on a page in the magazine. Are you saying you know people didn't find your cache?

Edit: clarification.

No. What I'm saying is that I had a listing that is now archived that some finders that found it and claim it part of the Delorme challange never signed the log book.

Also, "It's finding a cache located within the map parameters on a page in the magazine". Forgive me, but I still don't understand. What magazine? I don't know anything about Delorme other than they make maps or something?

I think we may be talking about three different things. No offense.

Sometimes people use public bookmarks to track their DC finds. I've stated in my local forum that I think they should keep it private until they have completed the effort and need the owner to confirm the finds.

Every DC claim should, and in fact must be a valid find supported by the cache owner.

carp, missing number 3 ...stand by

okay, this is the atlas but I haven't found the link to view the pages inside it (yet).

here

Edited by BlueDeuce

Have you ever seen a DeLorme atlas? There is one for every state; it divides up the state into grids, and each page has a chunk of the grid. The DeLorme challenge is to find a cache on every page of the atlas. nebraska, for example has 68 or 69 pages, I think; Rhode Island has nine or so.

Your caches are physically located within a state, and therefore can be used to claim a part of the grid, or a particular page. Same as if someone were doing the County Challenge and used your cache to claim a particular county. That's all.

I'm cool with my listings being a part of the challange. Is it Groundspeak supported? We got a email from a user because we had to change the ratings of something similar. They seemed upset because the ratings had to be changed? Still not sure, but it was something about a grid, I think?

I'm cool with my listings being a part of the challange. Is it Groundspeak supported? We got a email from a user because we had to change the ratings of something similar. They seemed upset because the ratings had to be changed? Still not sure, but it was something about a grid, I think?

Unless it's a variation it's based on a grid. For example finding a cache in each county should cover it. As for cache rating changes, finder beware.

Unless it's a variation it's based on a grid. For example finding a cache in each county should cover it. As for cache rating changes, finder beware.

I don't think it was part of the Delorme thing? Maybe a grid or something on difficulty levels or something? They had to go up, but a seeker complained that they would have to exclude the listing like it was a big deal. I'm sure it was to them, but I did not understand the issue.

What I'm saying is that I had a listing that is now archived that some finders that found it and claim it part of the Delorme challange never signed the log book.

Did you mean to say some finders that "claimed to have found it" or did you mean found it?

If you know they found it regardless of whether they signed the log book, then there's no cheating going on.

If you are saying they are just claiming to have found it but didn't sign the book and you don't believe they actually found it, then you should delete the bogus log if you are so inclined.

What I'm saying is that I had a listing that is now archived that some finders that found it and claim it part of the Delorme challange never signed the log book.

Did you mean to say some finders that "claimed to have found it" or did you mean found it?

If you know they found it regardless of whether they signed the log book, then there's no cheating going on.

If you are saying they are just claiming to have found it but didn't sign the book and you don't believe they actually found it, then you should delete the bogus log if you are so inclined.

I never felt cheated by the bogus logs that were some part of a challange that is not mine and not a part of Groundspeak. Why delete logs and deal with that stuff when you can just archive the listing after constent muggles?

I don't think it was part of the Delorme thing? Maybe a grid or something on difficulty levels or something? They had to go up, but a seeker complained that they would have to exclude the listing like it was a big deal. I'm sure it was to them, but I did not understand the issue.

That's their hard luck. :) It sounds like it was a fizzy challenge, where they have to find every combination of difficulty and terrain possible.

Challenges caches like the fizzy, the county challenge, the Delorme came well before the Groundspeak idea of a "Challenge", and are completely different. It's douwnright confusing and unfair, imho, for GS to re-use the term for something else.

I never felt cheated by the bogus logs that were some part of a challange that is not mine and not a part of Groundspeak. Why delete logs and deal with that stuff when you can just archive the listing after constent muggles?

If not so inclined, then just ignore it.

I did ignore it. The listing had to be archived for other reasons, not because of the Delorme challange or whatever. I just wanted to know what it was because some "finders" faked some finds on my listings to complete a challange. Trust me, I don't care.

Hello!

It's not.

Manifestly not! Last month, I spent two days and 1,000 miles with two other cachers working on our Northern California DeLorme challenge and Golden State DeLorme challenge poking around north and NE California. It's actually kind of a fun way to plan a caching trip, because you need to make all sorts of navigation decisions to get your squares. California is especially fun as there are three challenges -- the northern California atlas, the southern California atlas and the Golden State Atlas, which covers the whole state, so the squares are different sizes and you can't use one cache for both challenges, so you end up doing all sorts of weird things.

Hello!

It's not.

Manifestly not! Last month, I spent two days and 1,000 miles with two other cachers working on our Northern California DeLorme challenge and Golden State DeLorme challenge poking around north and NE California. It's actually kind of a fun way to plan a caching trip, because you need to make all sorts of navigation decisions to get your squares. California is especially fun as there are three challenges -- the northern California atlas, the southern California atlas and the Golden State Atlas, which covers the whole state, so the squares are different sizes and you can't use one cache for both challenges, so you end up doing all sorts of weird things.

Frak and I have completed four DeLorme challenges this year, New Hampshire, Vermont, Arkansas, and New York. We traveled the length and breadth of all four states and looked in every nook and cranny, sometimes multiple times. We earned those challenges and are very proud of them. We have at times signed a log in mud when we'd left the pen in the car that happened to be parked at the bottom of a very steep hill. Even the car was smart enough not to want to attempt the hill. Anyway, the person who armchair signs a log knows in his or her inner soul that he or she did not earn the honor. The rest of us have the gas bills, hotel bills, and sunburns to prove that we have indeed been everywhere we said we had been.

I have an earth cache up here in New York that I know has been arm chaired at least once. Yes it does annoy me a bit because a lot of time was spent in creating that earth cache. But it's no skin off my nose if that one person is devious. He knows he didn't really get it and maybe he learned something from the write up.

Some friendly corrections:

CT/RI share an atlas.

The RI DeLorme Challenge has 12 pages. It is also the only one that can be accomplished in a single day.

Here's a Lost & Found video documenting one finder's trip.

(Full Disclosure: I own the Little Rhody DeLorme)

(Edit to add link)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Some friendly corrections:

CT/RI share an atlas.

The RI DeLorme Challenge has 12 pages. It is also the only one that can be accomplished in a single day.

Here's a Lost & Found video documenting one finder's trip.

(Full Disclosure: I own the Little Rhody DeLorme)

(Edit to add link)

My County in NY is almost the same exact size as Rhode Island. We don't have 12 Delorme pages. Just messing with 'ya. :ph34r:

I did ignore it. The listing had to be archived for other reasons, not because of the Delorme challange or whatever. I just wanted to know what it was because some "finders" faked some finds on my listings to complete a challange. Trust me, I don't care.

It looks like there still may be some confusion about the Delorme Challenge. Delorme put out a set of map "books" (large, soft cover), one for each state (though at least a couple cover more than one state). The maps are fairly good topo maps. I started a collection long before I heard of geocaching and "wore out" the one for Northern California. Each of the states has some number of pages in the book, effectively making the state a grid. The challenge is to find at least one cache for each page in the book. For some pages, there may be very few caches available, thus while your cache is not really part of the challenge but it may be frequently found to satisfy the challenge if there are only a few caches for the page. For the New York Delorme challenge there is a cache about 2 hours from me which was specifically created as there were no other caches on that "page". Because NY, and many other states, is not square some of the pages only contain a small portion of the complete map.

The fact that some are not actually finding the cache but logging it to complete the challenge is another issue and it's pretty cheesy for someone to cheat on the challenge by claiming a find for a "page" in the Delorme book without actually even visiting the area.

Reading the post about bogus found logs. What am I suppose to do if I complete a Delorme challenge and the CO doesn't send me coordinates for the final. Apparently he hasn't for the past 9 months. No response to "Notes" cachers have posted. I would like to log the find before it get archived.

I was told by a Reviewer to contact Groundspeak. I also saw another cacher logged the "find" about 6 months ago without actually finding the final and the log is still there.

Thanks

Edited by vinyrd

Reading the post about bogus found logs. What am I suppose to do if I complete a Delorme challenge and the CO doesn't send me coordinates for the final. Apparently he hasn't for the past 9 months. No response to "Notes" cachers have posted. I would like to log the find before it get archived.

I was told by a Reviewer to contact Groundspeak. I also saw another cacher logged the "find" about 6 months ago without actually finding the final and the log is still there.

I'd contact a previous finder.

I'd contact a previous finder.

Thanks

The CO shouldn't be holding the coordinates hostage, they should be on the cache page or derivable without you needing to contact the cache owner.

Thanks

The CO shouldn't be holding the coordinates hostage, they should be on the cache page or derivable without you needing to contact the cache owner.

Precisely what was enacted with the new challenge guidelines (and maybe just a bit before). Good to see Groundspeak is listening to its customers concerns.

Might be time to Archive it if the cache owner is unresponsive. Basically sounds like an unfindable cache unless you're part of the clique of prior finders.

Might be time to Archive it if the cache owner is unresponsive. Basically sounds like an unfindable cache unless you're part of the clique of prior finders.
I was thinking the same thing.

I understand not wanting to see a challenge cache archived after you've worked to complete the requirements. But challenge caches in this format (ask the CO for the coordinates) are grandfathered. And like all grandfathered caches, they can remain only if the owner continues to maintain them.

I understand not wanting to see a challenge cache archived after you've worked to complete the requirements. But challenge caches in this format (ask the CO for the coordinates) are grandfathered. And like all grandfathered caches, they can remain only if the owner continues to maintain them.

I got the impression that this kind of cache wasn't grandfathered. At least, I seem to recall some challenge cache pages that say the cache originally required asking for coordinates, but they were forced to change it. And this example shows us exactly why.

Since the OP's already met the requirements, it doesn't make much difference whether the cache is archived: if the OP manages to get the final coordinates, it won't depend on the cache being active, and the physical cache won't disappear just because it's been archived.

I got the impression that this kind of cache wasn't grandfathered. At least, I seem to recall some challenge cache pages that say the cache originally required asking for coordinates, but they were forced to change it. And this example shows us exactly why.

I know that geocaches of a type that have been grandfathered (virtuals, webcams) can't be adopted, but since a challenge caches isn't a specific cache type, could this one be adopted?

I know that geocaches of a type that have been grandfathered (virtuals, webcams) can't be adopted, but since a challenge caches isn't a specific cache type, could this one be adopted?

I believe challenge caches can be adopted. But if the CO is not responding, it doesn't seem they would initiate an adoption either.

Since the OP's already met the requirements, it doesn't make much difference whether the cache is archived: if the OP manages to get the final coordinates, it won't depend on the cache being active, and the physical cache won't disappear just because it's been archived.

He could try asking previous finders for the final coords?

I'm working on two challenge caches. The COs have added Project-GC Challenge Checkers at my request. One has had the coords changed to the final location. The other has not. And there's a defugalty in one that the challenge checker will not be able to resolve. Have not heard back from the CO on that problem.

Sounds like it can be a lot of fun trying to complete. I just don't understand why the "mygeocachingprofile.com" site added a state that I have never cached in based of my finds. I will have to take a look at the requirements for that state.

Did you log any traveling caches?

Thanks

Precisely what was enacted with the new challenge guidelines (and maybe just a bit before). Good to see Groundspeak is listening to its customers concerns.

Would it be just as easy to post the cords in the logs?