2016 International Geocaching Day souvenir

From today's newsletter:

Plus, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2016 souvenir by attending an event or logging a geocache on August 20. (Bonus points for doing both!)

IMPORTANT: International Geocaching Day Events must be submitted no later than Saturday, August 6.

B.

I can't decide if the bolded part means there are two separate souvenirs, one for grabbing a cache and another for attending an event, or if they just mean brownie points.

I can't decide if the bolded part means there are two separate souvenirs, one for grabbing a cache and another for attending an event, or if they just mean brownie points.

Yes, can someone please clarify? Two separate souvenirs? Or just one?

Thanks,

John

Edited by Spacemann Spiff

It kind of says something about the state of the game that Groundspeak can't make a jovial comment about imaginary "bonus points" without convincing people that there are actual "points" to be won.

It's the "entitlement" thing sticking it's head up again in another form. <_<

It kind of says something about the state of the game that Groundspeak can't make a jovial comment about imaginary "bonus points" without convincing people that there are actual "points" to be won.

Gee, heaven forbid that the forums are used as a place to discuss topics and ask questions freely. Like, you know, a forum.

Gee, heaven forbid that the forums are used as a place to discuss topics and ask questions freely. Like, you know, a forum.

I don't see anybody trying to close the discussion here.

OT

There used to be a rule, most of us anti-entitlement folks followed

If you don’t have anything nice (or relevant) to say, don’t say anything at all.

It kind of says something about the state of the geocaching forum when any and all questions/comments are met with/subject to veiled and overt "ad hominem" comments.

It's the "entitlement" thing sticking it's head up again in another form. <_<

Again, I hesitate to call it "entitlement." New people come to the game in a different way, with a different set of values. Now in addition to finds and souvenirs, they want "points." I hate to see the game go that direction, but what can you do?

From the newsletter 08/16/2016:

"This Saturday, August 20, is International Geocaching Day! It’s the perfect day to get outside, find a few (dozen) geocaches and spend time with your fellow players. By finding a geocache or attending an event on this special day, you’ll earn the International Geocaching Day 2016 souvenir."

Now it's crystal clear.

I don't see anybody trying to close the discussion here.

Perhaps, but I sure see someone being sarcastic toward those who asked a simple question.

Like MKFmly said:

If you don't have anything nice (or relevant) to say, don't say anything at all.

Well gee. A few posts ago you were writing that this is a place for discussion, you know, a forum. Now you're saying, that if someone posts something that "isn't nice" they *shouldn't* use this place for discussion.

From today's newsletter:

Plus, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2016 souvenir by attending an event or logging a geocache on August 20. (Bonus points for doing both!)

IMPORTANT: International Geocaching Day Events must be submitted no later than Saturday, August 6.

B.

The (Bonus points for doing both!) It's a Chocolate Chip Cookie

From today's newsletter:

B.

You can't get off that easy on the internet. Case in point:

With or without nuts?

Edited by AustinMN

W.r.t. Bonus points: I think it's just an American humor, or maybe only a West Coast thing? Here, people often try to look silly or funny by (not really) trying to move, attract or motivate people using something with no value or something that doesn't even exist. I see they do this from time to time. It's pretty common. I was born and raised in Japan, and I never saw people do those. I don't know about other cultures, but I won't be surprised if someone who's not so familiar with this type of humor didn't get this in the first place. It's not that they don't understand humor. It's just one type of humor which is common in certain cultures than others. We know that Groundspeak is a U.S.-centric company?

From today's newsletter:

B.

I wish! :omnomnom:

Hm, maybe it is an U.S. thing. When I was younger, whenever something great/nice unexpectedly happened, it was common for people to say loudly, "BONUS!". We still do it from time to time. :rolleyes:

It just means that you get something nice and extra that you weren't expecting. It's not really something tangible, however. Perhaps a state of mind? :unsure:

Hm, maybe it is an U.S. thing. When I was younger, whenever something great/nice unexpectedly happened, it was common for people to say loudly, "BONUS!". We still do it from time to time. :rolleyes:

It just means that you get something nice and extra that you weren't expecting. It's not really something tangible, however. Perhaps a state of mind? :unsure:

+1 Yep.

Perhaps it would have been less ambiguous to say "Extra kudos for doing both"

"Hey, I earned all these extra kudos for Mission GC, but they aren't showing up on my profile. When can we expect them to be shown in our stats? Is there an API call we can use to get the kudos into our third-party stats?"

The tricky part of being a company with a significant global userbase is wording communications such that they make sense to the majority of the users. Using slang, colloquialisms, and regional terminology will inevitably lead to misunderstandings and confusion.

Perhaps it would have been less ambiguous to say "Extra kudos for doing both"

"Hey, I earned all these extra kudos for Mission GC, but they aren't showing up on my profile. When can we expect them to be shown in our stats? Is there an API call we can use to get the kudos into our third-party stats?"

"Hey, I have more questions. I'm thinking to create a Challenge based on kudos (I think it's cool as nobody has done it before!), but I'm afraid that such Challenges may not be attainable by someone who is new to the game (e.g., after the International Geocaching Day 2016). Are you planning to award kudos in the future, or are they only a one-time thing? I hope it's the former! Of course, my assumption is that you are going to provide us an API so someone could write the Project-GC Challenge checker, but The A-Team has already raised that question above. Thanks!"

RE kudos, I first encountered them as an airline "food" offering. I assumed they would be dreadful and did not eat them.

I do think you need to mindful of the dual issues of cachers eating caches and, possibly, less likely caches eating cachers (regional only, and has not been recently reported).

(Seems like a bad idea to conflate food items with caching, even challenge caches? certainly they don't belong in the box? if attached only via the API, could work....)

Had a lotta work to do today, so figured I'd hit one of the local-to-me cache n dashes, park n grabs, or whatever folks are calling them these days to get back home quick.

Stuck six in the GPSr as a JIC, since this type is known for their quality containers...

Found one outta six, a lpc of all things, so I can no longer claim lpc-free on my profile. :laughing:

Of course it's (now) multiple logs are almost full, with an absent owner too.

From today's newsletter:

B.

Okay we did both, attended an event and also found a cache today (August 20, 2016)

Where are my bonus points? Got the one souvenir but NO BONUS POINTS are they hiding? :(

Had a lotta work to do today, so figured I'd hit one of the local-to-me cache n dashes, park n grabs, or whatever folks are calling them these days to get back home quick.

Stuck six in the GPSr as a JIC, since this type is known for their quality containers...

Found one outta six, a lpc of all things, so I can no longer claim lpc-free on my profile. :laughing:

Well, I do prefer hikes in the woods, but when I'm travelling I like caches and dashes too. So, I'll do both. I was in Delaware today. Rail trail! I like them! People seem to like to dump trash here. Cache was on the ground. Both ends of the container, and the log, were chewed on. CO lives in Tennessee. I will not seek the rest of the caches in this series.

Well, I do prefer hikes in the woods, but when I'm travelling I like caches and dashes too. So, I'll do both. I was in Delaware today. Rail trail! I like them! People seem to like to dump trash here. Cache was on the ground. Both ends of the container, and the log, were chewed on. CO lives in Tennessee. I will not seek the rest of the caches in this series.

Already getting ribbed about it, now that I can only claim to be challenge and lab cache free. :D

- The other 2/3rds conned me into a last-minute date grid thing, and the only cache around turned out to be a guard rail hide, so that's out now too.

Burdened for stats... :laughing:

Already getting ribbed about it, now that I can only claim to be challenge and lab cache free. :D

- The other 2/3rds conned me into a last-minute date grid thing, and the only cache around turned out to be a guard rail hide, so that's out now too.

Burdened for stats... :laughing:

Worked well for me. Found a regular ammo can and my First in So Dakota. Two souvenirs for one find :D

So...I found and logged a cache (GC6FPP8) on August 20 but did not receive the souvenir. Any way to fix this?

OK, I just checked and it was there. In the past when I logged a souvenir related cache (new state, etc.) I would get an instant pop-up notification. I didn't see it this time. Carry on!