Historical societies

coachstahly

Are local historical societies considered commercial? I've mentioned them in my cache write up, thanking them for their help verifying information and allowing me to use their site and archives for information, and included a link in the Related Web Page. I know this one is a not-for-profit entity.

Thoughts?

Are local historical societies considered commercial? I've mentioned them in my cache write up, thanking them for their help verifying information and allowing me to use their site and archives for information, and included a link in the Related Web Page. I know this one is a not-for-profit entity.

Thoughts?

Links to the site may or may not be considered OK, depending if they have fund raising links on their website, which might be considered a solicitation.

Thoughts?

The most recent guidelines do not differentiate between not for profit or for profit entities. Your reviewer will view each listing on a case by case basis.

Mentioning the historical society might be OK, but encouraging someone to get a membership, or visit the gift shop at one of their properties would probably not work, even if they are an Not for Profit entity.

Edited by wimseyguy

Agreeing with wimseyguy - the current guidelines don't distinguish between commercial, charity, political or social orgs. So you may be asking the wrong question. Relevant is this part of the commercial guideline:

3. It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

A historical society has a social agenda, of raising historical awareness and preserving whatever version of history they're attached to.

Also agreeing with Touchstone ;-)

Feature the site. Describe its historical importance. State what can be found there, and don't mention the Historical Society. They'll figure that part out when they get there. That's what I worked out with my Reviewer some years ago when a local historical society invited our caching association to put caches at 13 of their sites. I assume that would still work. If you want to link the listings so that folks can find all of them name them Old Places Trail #1 and so on instead of Historical Society Trail #1. You will still introduce finders to an interesting place without promoting the historical society that maintains them.